Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 07:38   #31

Re: Two (old) men in a small boat - 700 miles

My only word of advice is this: consider how you'll get back up north. That's what we did last year, for there's not much in the way of fuel along the coast, the winds and currents will be against you (that's why the return from most W coast races is called the "Baja bash").

We did it last year, but by sailing SW out into the Pacific, then tacking on the knock. Took us over 1,000 cold & wet miles to get to California from Cabo. OTOH, we were in a 50' cutter, which was a tad more comfy than the 22' boat you'll be sailing. Age ain't an issue: the owners were over 70, and I was pushing 80, and we've been doing long-distance stuff for well over 10 years.

As they say: just do it ... but consider how you'll get back.
A CheeseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:39   #32

I have to question whether the people telling you to "go for it" have sailed in the gulf. If they have, I'll defer to their expertise. I have sailed in the Sea of Cortez and while I appreciate the sense of adventure a couple things concern me. 1) There are very few sources of water along this coast and 22' does not have a lot of storage space. 2)There are many places between San Felipe and La Paz that have no road access. So in the event you needed land based support of some kind, it might be infeasible. 3) Communication along that coast can be spotty to non-existent. 4) A Santana 22 can make 4 knots on a good day. Summer chubascos come up fast and hard and Baja becomes a big lee shore with no shelter for many miles. Making headway against that or anchoring are both dicey in such a situation. I'm not saying don't do it, but please consider the worst case scenarios and plan accordingly. Buena suerte!
bioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:42   #33

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by A CheeseHead View Post
My only word of advice is this: consider how you'll get back up north.
There is no mention by the OP of taking the boat outside the Sea of Cortez. I got the impression that the boat belongs to the OP's friend and is based there. Perhaps mdsdurango will clarify this.

(Speaking for myself, if I actually needed to take a 22 foot boat from Bahia de los Angeles to San Francisco, CA - sailing it on its own bottom would not be my first choice.)
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:11   #34

The kayaks are interesting
Didn't read all the replies but you started me thinking... apart from go for it
I've got two in my garage and wonder if there's some easy air bottle thing to use as lazy way and also extra survival
Let me think about this and the other good folk on this forum, if you happen to drift near lisbon Portugal give me a signal and I'll come and join you
Fab
Like be you guys
Great times to all of us
369thegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:23   #35

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I don't know... Mexico might be pushing it. Go easy on the beans..

Seriously, as long as you have the fresh water storage planned out, and your buddy is experienced and judging the trip correctly -- I'd say what the hell. You only live once, and the worse the trip, the better the stories. Either way is good.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:34   #36

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsdurango View Post

On another note. I know 66 is not old. Not too old. My header may be a bit dramatic - but the boat is only 22' and my "old" butt likes a comfortable resting place. Not too much is comfortable on a 22 foot Santana. And it is some 700 miles. I'll find a nice cushion.

Google up "Marine Beanbags." You can put them anywhere, and are extremely comfortable in my opinion. After trying one, I'd never be without it.

I'd go for the small sized one though (maybe medium), as it will fit better in the cockpit of a 22'. The large is usually very large.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:56   #37

Well,

I did the exact same trip some years ago in a Hobie 18...was one of the most amazing trips of my life...we cashed in a few of our cat lives as the chubasco and el torino storms can really pack a punch...but we did survive and have some of the best stories to tell...it is truly a magical place...desolate and still very wild...

go for it...
multi-hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:49   #38

Boat: Montgomery 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by A CheeseHead View Post
My only word of advice is this: consider how you'll get back up north. That's what we did last year, for there's not much in the way of fuel along the coast, the winds and currents will be against you (that's why the return from most W coast races is called the "Baja bash").

We did it last year, but by sailing SW out into the Pacific, then tacking on the knock. Took us over 1,000 cold & wet miles to get to California from Cabo. OTOH, we were in a 50' cutter, which was a tad more comfy than the 22' boat you'll be sailing. Age ain't an issue: the owners were over 70, and I was pushing 80, and we've been doing long-distance stuff for well over 10 years.

As they say: just do it ... but consider how you'll get back.

Lot's of good advice on this thread.
We would trailer the boat back north. My concern is how to get the truck from San Felipe to San Lucas. I'd like to hire someone to shuttle the truck south and fly them back north. Just not sure how to go about that.
mdsdurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:29   #39

Great idea please go and have an adventure. Please give up on the bolt together kayak fixation. Just not required. Just try and capsize a decent sit on sea kayak. Then let’s have a discussion. You are just making life complicated for absolutely no good reason.
Flextron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 14:03   #40

actually my buddies girl friends had an adventure of their own driving my truck and trailer south....they did blow my engine...but that's a story in of its self...maybe you can find a non sailor friend that wants to do the same...
multi-hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 15:49   #41

This is so cool. Go for it.
Delta Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:29   #42

Boat: C&C Mk 1 33'

Plan that trip back before you leave. Going North against prevailing winds would be a problem at the wrong time of year.
Rhwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:13   #43

Go for it. Never too old!
Something you might consider is And inflatable ama kit for your kayak . I saw one up in Maine a while back and it looked pretty cool It made the kayak much more stable
steve veale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:03   #44

If you opt to tow two kayaks [instead of bringing inflatable kayaks, stored upon your sailboat, I recommend that you allow for considerable length of tow line so as to allow them to stand far off your stern this will provide for a reduced degree of angle off your stern and thus a reduced yawing force applied to your steering. You might be able to lash them as a single catamaran using support beams, but the lashing will need to be very secure else they will jumble about and come apart. Towing two in series avoids such complication of crafting and uncrafting a rafting everytime you which to sail or kayak. Use a SMALL weighted drogue a short distance off the stern of the following [last in series] kayak so as to keep the kayaks from wandering about and to keep the tow line in modest tension. A drogue will aid in keeping the towed vessels in line and also keep them from surfing down the face of wave.

Place a modest float on the line not far from your stern so as to keep the tow line up near the surface and away from entangling your propeller / rudder, and / or use floating line.

An excellent alternative to two single person kayaks would be a single tandem kayak.

You should learn to keep frequent watch of your towed vessels as you never know when they might break away, turtle, swamp, entangle, whatever. Situational awareness 360 degrees is always wise and even more when someone or something is tailgating your main vessel.

Enjoy your adventure together and keep an ear towards the weather reports, ask for guidance from other boaters that are in radio contact if you don't have means for direct daily updates.

All the best.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 18:01   #45

With a draft of 3.5 feet you two could wade ashore from a Santana 22 if it was anchored in 4.5 feet at low tide. Just wear water shoes and tow your onshore dry gear in a styrofoam cooler.
Amaleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men