Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2018, 09:51   #1

Boat: Catalina 350
Trip from Tampa around Miami to Stuart

I need to move a sailboat with a 56' air draft from Tampa area to Stuart then up the AICW. 56 screws my original desire (I believe) of crossing the Okeechobee WW due to bridge clearance. Any recommendations or advice on the trip around Miami up to Stuart ??? Thanks ...
kingofcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 10:37   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Re: Trip from Tampa around Miami to Stuart

Best route is through Moser Channel (7 mile bridge near Marathon). You can pass under the Channel 5 bridge near Islamorada, but the water is pretty shallow in Florida Bay in that area, saves a few miles if draft allows. Both bridges are 65'. With some creativity you may be able to get under the low bridge on the Okeechobee waterway. I know one person that hung their tender from the end of the boom, and placed his large son in it to heel the boat just enough to walk it under the bridge span from the catwalk on the fendering system under the bridge.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 10:59   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

Depending on the amount of time saving (which I understand to be A LOT), might it be beneficial to demast and carry the rig horizontal? Distant Shores did it for the Erie Canal. I also like Alex's idea - it's been done quite a few times and there's lots of references online. You're not even looking for much more clearance.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 11:12   #4

They weighted boom end is a creative approach that I have seen on videos only. Cool and creative to say the least !!! I need 56 .. it seems 54' my be one bridge so as you said, I don't need much .. thanks a lot
Old 23-02-2018, 11:50   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Waste as much time taking the mast down and putting back up as just going under the 7 mile bridge.
Old 23-02-2018, 12:53   #6

If I remember. Isn’t the railroad bridge on the ockeechobee 49’? How many degrees heel do you need to gain 9’ air draft? Test it before you go!
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 08:48   #7

Take the Channel 5. Cut, , so much less hassle
And you can sail 24/7 to St. Lucie Inlet..
Just watch ur depth on the west side of
Confusion corner...
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:03   #8

Boat: Tartan 37

In 2010 I took my Tartan 37 from Snead Island to my home base in Stuart via the Okeechobee. I have an air draft of 53’, 55’ with antenna. I called Billy Owens out of Indiantown. He met me on my boat and placed multiple 55 gallon drums to achieve the needed angle (don’t recall what it was but it was significant) to get under the railway bridge. The whole process was about an hour or so. Best $175.00 I spent. Reach out to Indiantown Marina to see if he or someone else is still doing the Okeechobee Limbo. Good luck.

Jesse
S/v Sailsman
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:11   #9

Excellent suggestion StuartSailor ... thanks. OWW would optimize my trip time-wise vs swinging around tip of Florida. Although I suspect the longer route is a great experience.... if one has the time ..
Old 24-02-2018, 10:31   #10

Try the trigonometry calculator: http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-trigright.asp:

a=48' (1' clearance to bridge)
b=56'
A=31° (angle of heel you need, but shape of hull might increase the b-measurement and thus increase the angle)

Billy Owens out of Indiantown seems like a good option and can probably confirm the angle of heal you need.
cruising_ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 12:35   #11

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

Don't assume you cant get under the railroad bridge just east of Okeechobee. The Corps is very experienced at listing a sailboat with water barrels to get you low enough, give them a call to determine what the possibilities are. I did this passage two months ago and it saves a ton of time.

Fred
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 13:23   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobopacket View Post
If I remember. Isn’t the railroad bridge on the ockeechobee 49’? How many degrees heel do you need to gain 9’ air draft? Test it before you go!
The RR bridge at Stuart is the only snag. If you can master that, it would sure save time.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 14:18   #13

Boat: 2006 Leopard 40 sailing catamaran

I've done the trip many times both Moser and Channel 5. no real problem either way. What is your water draft? Lots of crab pots in FL bay between Marco I and the Keys. I understand you can't go through locks at night so if you sail straight through, going through the Keys may be faster.
gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 15:55   #14

Just left Indiantown marina about a week ago. Saw Billy come an go many times as our little catamaran sat right next to where he would take his boat out after the big tip. I believe the max that he can deal with is about 55? Might only be 54. $200 is the going rate.

Did the ditch all the way across okechobee to ft Myers and over to Sanibel island.

Word has it that someone strung fiber optic @ about 35 feet near Belle Glade so you would need to cross the lake rather than follow the canal...according to the rumor Anyways.

We just sailed from Marco Island to Key West a couple days ago. We are sitting Next to Wisteria Island. It was almost a 20 hour sail for us from Marco Island as our little cat only did about four - five knots. A lot of Crab pots along the way. We were thinking marathon but winds were such that dry Tortugas were was where the weather wanted to send us. We settled for a happy medium with Key West. Pulling in at 4 AM in the morning was a little sketchy. Certainly for somebody who only had one real day sail under his belt under his belt...that being me and it was from sailing Sanibel to Marco island a few days before. Wife had never been in a sailboat up until leaving indiantown marina and 4 year old daughter not of much sailing help either.
getyourbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 18:45   #15

Boat: Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcary View Post
I need to move a sailboat with a 56' air draft from Tampa area to Stuart then up the AICW. 56 screws my original desire (I believe) of crossing the Okeechobee WW due to bridge clearance. Any recommendations or advice on the trip around Miami up to Stuart ??? Thanks ...
Absolutely go around! Stop in Key west for a couple das and have fun! Great anchorage, great dinghy dock right in the middle of all the fun. Up the East coast you have wonderful anchorages.
robertk445 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami