Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2014, 23:24   #1

Requesting Infor on Belize Charter

Hello,

I will be sailing a 46 Moorings Cat in March around Belize, mainly fro placencia south. I was hoping I could get some good feedback on the in's and out's of the area, places to not miss and places to avoid. Some of the anchorages I have planned are Ranguana Cay, Tom Owens,Sapodilla, Frank's Cay, Nicholas Cay, Hunting Cay. I was also wondering which islands are better to sail around, North of Placencia or South. I am not heading up around the blue hole..so no sailing advice is needed there.
Also I was wondering about provisioning around placencia. I look forward to all the advice I can get.

L.
lreslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 00:43   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Requesting Infor on Belize Charter

is moorings provisioning the boat? or are you?
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 04:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Bareboat Belize Yacht Charter & Sailing Vacations | The Moorings

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 20:31   #4

I am. Have you sailed around the islands south of placencia?
lreslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 23:53   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

irestock -- it has been a couple of years since were we in placenica - but the admiral remembers reprovisioning there -- good for you for doing it yourself -- when we were there we met a couple who had moorings do the provisioning and way over provisioned them and charged them for a lot of stuff they did not need -- we ended up with a lot of it as there were a bit upset at moorings

there is a place to get internet on the beach by the way - it is a bar but i do not remember the name but the cruisers hang out there and it is run by an american couple -- buy a beer or two and use internet

have fun - great place to sail
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:46   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Ireslock,

I lived in Belize and worked in the charter biz there for about 6 years and still cover the occassional charter. Be happy to answer your questions. In fact, I have a collection of notes that will answer most of them. PM me your email and I will send you a copy. These notes are supplemental to Freya Rauchers excellent cruising guide (get a copy of this for planning...Moorings used to include a copy w their bookings...dont know if they still do)

Re provisioning in Placencia. Way easier than it used to be. There has been an explosion of grocery stores in recent years (not sure who is buying all those groceries) and a couple of new veggie stands. You might consider having Moorings do some of your provisioning to save you vacation time and then do the remaining yourself. You will need to take a taxi into the village from Moorings to provision, but rates are not expensive.

Re routes in general (much more detail in my notes). When running charters out of Placencia I rarely go further N than Tobacco Caye. Great cruising ground from there all the way S into the Sapodilla Cayes. I suggest working your way a bit N then downwind to the Sapodillas. Best to work your way N early in the AM before the sea breeze kicks in and then S or W on the sea breeeze. On the return work your way a bit north inside the reef and then you can fall off and sail straight back into Placencia.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreslock View Post
Hello,
... Some of the anchorages I have planned are Ranguana Cay, Tom Owens,Sapodilla, Frank's Cay, Nicholas Cay, Hunting Cay. I was also wondering which islands are better to sail around, North of Placencia or South. I am not heading up around the blue hole..so no sailing advice is needed there.
Also I was wondering about provisioning around placencia. I look forward to all the advice I can get.

L.
Re the anchorages you list. Holding sucks at Ranguana. If you know where they are there some old mooring bases (big engine blocks) you can tie too very close in. With local knowlege and shoal draft you can work your way onto the sand flats S of the island, but Moorings probably won't like this idea. Otherwise search for a sandy spot and hand set the hook. More likely to find this a bit further out to leeward than close in. The picturesque little coral fringed cove at Tom Owens is discouraged by Moorings as an overnight anchorage with good reason...if the hook drags those pretty little fringe reefs take on a more ominous significance at night (...in the wind and rain). Generally the holding around the Sapodillas is not great...just search for a sandy hole in the lee of an island. Freya's guide indicates the general location of the most common anchorages (go there and search for sand). Water is clear, warm, and shallow so dive the hook to check the set and set by hand if necessary. There used to be moorings in the Saps (and other locations in Belize), but sadly no more. I would not trust any you find now, but you can dive down and rig your own line to the pin. You can also do this with the old mooring pins, which were properly set, if you find them (or get someone to guide you to them). Do not even consider trying to anchor at Seal Caye (a few boats have ended up on the reef there), but there are good old mooring pins on the bottom you can tie too...don't use the mooring lines if they are rigged...use your own.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:38   #8

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

We are in Belize since November for our 3rd season. Placencia is good for provisioning. Several fresh vegetable markets in addition to fairly well stocked grocery stores and two bakers. The NW Caribbean net meets at 8am on 6209 on your SSB.

We were just at Ranguana caye and have been there several times. The moorings are easily spotted. In 3 visits we always anchored using a fortress anchor and didn't drag but Belize Sailor is right that the holding is poor. Tom Owens is pretty but then its all wonderful. Belize is trying to put more moorings around. We found them at Whippari and Hatchett Cayes also.

I've been lazy about the blog this year but both our 2012 and 2013 months in Belize have lots of info including a chart of our travels.

S/V WAHOO
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagal View Post

.....Belize is trying to put more moorings around. We found them at Whippari and Hatchett Cayes also.

S/V WAHOO
Hola Wahoo!

The moorings at Whippari and Hatchett are privately installed (and hopefully maintained). I've used the ones at Whippari many times with no problem, but quite deep there so I've never dove to verify condition.

Unfortunatley, the public moorings program collapsed a few years ago, the moorings all failed from lack of maintenance, and I've not heard any rumors about it being revived.

A related note re moorings in Belize, under Belizean law once a mooring is installed it becomes public property. Whoever installed it has "priority" usage (not defined) but cannot charge others to use it because it is public property. Some places may try and charge you, but that is not legitimate. Others, who are aware of the law, may ask for a voluntary donation for maintenance...I'm OK with that as long as they actually maintain the mooring. This is in no way related to the marine reserve fees.