Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2021, 12:20   #1

Relocation, Sailing required!

Already I see a couple old sailing/work friends of mine belonging to the group.....Hello Rudy and Gill! First post here folks, Hello everyone. I'm a Canadian expat living full time in central Mexico. I'm missing my boat and want to relocate again to a more sailing friendly/conducive location. It can be anywhere in the world with decent healthcare and low to moderate cost of living. I prefer small micro cruisers for getting in and out of tight places a larger keel boat would never dream of entering, but depending on the local sailing water conditions I would consider something larger to single hand or possibly with a single female friend. Most of my sailing has been in the Okanagan Valley area of British Columbia and a little off the coast of Puerto Vallarta Mexico. I'd consider staying in Mexico but it would have to be a coastal community and not a tourist destination. A small coastal town with a little entertainment and fresh produce available all year around with easy access to and from the boat. I'd prefer to stay out of the marinas. I'm hoping members here can make suggestions from places they have been from around the world and would consider them ideal for a boat owner just looking to enjoy life on the water again. Thanks one and all in advance. I look forward to reading your comments and suggestions. Salud!
Chris2realnice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 12:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Relocation, Sailing required!

Welcome to the forum, Chris2realnice2. While our home port suits us, I suspect that you have more exotic future homes than panhandle Florida.
Old 31-07-2021, 13:04   #3

Thanks Keith, at the moment I have many conflicting feelings about where I want to be. I don't want the Canadian cold and I don't think I want equatorial heat either. Have to find some common ground. The income taxes that must be paid to the USA if you are there more than six months is extremely detrimental as that's just not going to happen. Tho there is no sailing to speak of here where I am, my not having a boat down here has limited my opportunity to find out much about the sailing scene down here. The sea of cortez sounds very appealing but I'm going to have to travel there to determine that. The largest boat I have personally owned was a 21 foot Swift Sure made in Vernon BC. Canada. She had a swing keel and would have been ideal for cruising but sadly my head was all about racing back then. I've crewed on numerous larger boats for races at the local yacht club and all ran outboard motors for entering and leaving the marina......none were inboard motored. Lots to learn and consider.
Old 31-07-2021, 13:44   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Chris, get on a 747 and buy a small yacht over here:

https://www.tobermory.co.uk/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:38   #5

Looks nice with endless sailing possibilities but I'm looking for a country that has more sun than cloud and a warmer climate.

Tags
sail, sailing