Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2014, 01:34   #16

Re: Oz or Nz as a 'Layover Destination'

C'mon maaaaate, NZ is the only option! It is amazing, everyone has a boat. Even if you don't like marinas it is telling that we have the largest yacht marina in the southern hemisphere.
Did you decide yet?
timandchanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 01:54   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandchanel View Post
C'mon maaaaate, NZ is the only option! It is amazing, everyone has a boat. Even if you don't like marinas it is telling that we have the largest yacht marina in the southern hemisphere.
Did you decide yet?
Hi Tim and Chanel ... man, would really have liked to hook up with you New Zealanders this year ... met so many terrific folks from NZ.

Sad to say we have opted for a warmer climate and have taken a hurricane mooring in Fiji at Savusavu ... not sure we really want to tangle with one ... but Ana is all about warm weather! Anyway, here we are ... a few break ins to yachts around us already and doing night watches with a flash light from time to time ... Ana re-thinking the weather in lieu of NZ for sleep filled nights ... but we had a terrific meeting with the chief of the village and they assure us they will get it under control. Must say the authorities in Fiji who cleared us in are amongst the friendliest going we have met, yet they keep a professional stance on it ... we had no issues with food, shells or anything like that so our check in was quite impressive.

Anyway guys, it just goes to show by your reply that New Zealand is a great option ... please look out for our mates on a yacht called Reve De Lune ... they are wonderful people and enjoy touring every spot they visit ... think they arrive this week!

Cheers guys ... hope to see ya soon!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 02:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Hi Tim and Chanel ... man, would really have liked to hook up with you New Zealanders this year ... met so many terrific folks from NZ.

Sad to say we have opted for a warmer climate and have taken a hurricane mooring in Fiji at Savusavu ... not sure we really want to tangle with one ... but Ana is all about warm weather! Anyway, here we are ... a few break ins to yachts around us already and doing night watches with a flash light from time to time ... Ana re-thinking the weather in lieu of NZ for sleep filled nights ... but we had a terrific meeting with the chief of the village and they assure us they will get it under control. Must say the authorities in Fiji who cleared us in are amongst the friendliest going we have met, yet they keep a professional stance on it ... we had no issues with food, shells or anything like that so our check in was quite impressive.

Anyway guys, it just goes to show by your reply that New Zealand is a great option ... please look out for our mates on a yacht called Reve De Lune ... they are wonderful people and enjoy touring every spot they visit ... think they arrive this week!

Cheers guys ... hope to see ya soon!
Hey there,
What is a hurricane mooring??
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 02:21   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Hey there,
What is a hurricane mooring??
LOL Robert ... I was hoping no one would cotton onto that ... It would open a hornets nest for sure ... so I am going to do my level best to avoid that one

Lets just say it is a position and mooring approved by our insurance company ... still ... we would hate to encounter a hurricane to be sure!

All the same, I want to thank everyone who commented on this post ... it was a tough decision for us in the end and we do hope to be visiting NZ and Oz in the future (we sailed the Whitsundays years back ... on a Seawind catamaran ... it was fantastic and is why we purchased Impi) - terrific countries and most certainly amazing people !!!
Old 20-11-2014, 02:25   #20

By the way ... this is a GREAT read by Jim Thomsen ...

New Zealand Circumnavigation
Old 20-11-2014, 02:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
LOL Robert ... I was hoping no one would cotton onto that ... It would open a hornets nest for sure ... so I am going to do my level best to avoid that one

Lets just say it is a position and mooring approved by our insurance company ... still ... we would hate to encounter a hurricane to be sure!

All the same, I want to thank everyone who commented on this post ... it was a tough decision for us in the end and we do hope to be visiting NZ and Oz in the future (we sailed the Whitsundays years back ... on a Seawind catamaran ... it was fantastic and is why we purchased Impi) - terrific countries and most certainly amazing people !!!
Works for me, thanks!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 02:39   #22

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Colour me jaundiced but I think taking a punt on a bit of a blow in Fiji would be a better option this spring than Unzud..... windy enough to blow a dog off its chain most days... even the locals are complaining.

If I ever want to get to NZ from the SW Pacific again ( unlikely... once bitten etc ) I would circumnavigate Oz anti clockwise and approach NZ from up wind......

Tags
destination