Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 07:33   #1

Northern Chesapeake

I'm considering moving my sailboat from the Annapolis area further north up the Chesapeake to shave time off my ride from suburban Philadelphia. I have a 1980 Hunter Cherubini with 5 foot draft and i am looking for a full service marina that can assist me with keeping my good ole boat in shape. I am looking for thoughts and recommendations on suitable marinas. My other concern is having a 5 foot draft at the top of the Chesapeake. Thoughts?
EHWard3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 10:33   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Northern Chesapeake

Lots of people in Philadelphia keep boats in Rock Hall or Worton Creek. I've visited both and used marinas but can't speak to long term relationships.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 11:13   #3

Boat: Nassau 34

When my boat isn't being refitted I kept it at Swan Creek/ Rock Hall, still a good ride from Philly but more doable than Annapolis. Without traffic you can make it there in 2 hours from center city.

Years ago had my former boat on the Sassafrass River- there you have a 12 mile ride until you get to the bay, with Rock Hall your right there- all the marines are very nice and there's a decent selection of restaurants in Rock Hall and Chestertown.
Old 18-02-2013, 11:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHWard3 View Post
I'm considering moving my sailboat from the Annapolis area further north up the Chesapeake to shave time off my ride from suburban Philadelphia. I have a 1980 Hunter Cherubini with 5 foot draft and i am looking for a full service marina that can assist me with keeping my good ole boat in shape. I am looking for thoughts and recommendations on suitable marinas. My other concern is having a 5 foot draft at the top of the Chesapeake. Thoughts?
I would recommend Green Point Marina on Worton Creek. Not quite as far a drive as Rock Hall, but close enough to take advantage of Rock Hall's amenities. Green Point's short run to open water is a plus. Full service boatyard, home of the Columbia Sailing Association and great personable owners, Ray Clarke and his son Jordan. Green Point Landing Marina
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 15:11   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Rock Hall has possibilities. Actual choice of marina depends on amenities you might want. In any case, lots of PA boats in that area...

Or Baltimore? Not sure about drive time, but probably shorter than to Annapolis...

-Chris
Old 19-02-2013, 15:35   #6

Several full service marinas in and around North East. Nice town although not within walking distance from marinas. Right off I-95. Charlestown on the other side of the river. Not too far down river to top of the bay. Horace
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 09:15   #7

Try Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbour. The Bohemia River is a short drive to Elkton Md. Close to Rt. 95. Nice Marina.
SgtJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 14:35   #8

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

My parents live in center city and my boat lives in Swan Creek so I drive between the two all the time. East shore is WAY better than the west to avoid traffic and urban congestion. Rock Hall is a good distance from lots of fun places to go for day trips. My boat is at Haven Harbor marina and I cant say enough good things about them. Not cheap but worth it in that they dont nickel and dime you for every little thing and will watch out for your boat when you arent there. Have heard good things about other marinas around there too - excellent town for boat supplies
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 19:43   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Delaware City, High Point, Chesapeak City come to mind.

Depends upon how much you hate to drive.

We are in Delaware City and really like it. Delaware ain't no great shakes for gunk holing, but water is water if you are into day sails. About one hour from center city.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 20:28   #10

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
We just bought a slip at Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbor after a number of years in Rock Hall, while we only live about an hour and ten minutes from Rock Hall we got tired of the drive. We were at Handy's Point on Worton Creek for several years, which is more protected than Green-point and has a great dock master, but still to long a drive for us. Bohemia Vista is next to BBYH, has new floating docks but has less protection. We like the Northern Bay, fresh water, no nettles, many anchorages and we can sail to Rock Hall / Annapolis in a day.

BBYH will rent slips, we chose to buy since prices were very attractive.

You should be able to get to Bohemia Bay from Center City in a little over an hour once you know some of the short cuts.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:59   #11
Marine Service Provider

Anyone ever try Sailing Associates in Georgetown?

I worked there about 25 years ago & it was a very quiet marina that catered to sail boats.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:23   #12

Take a look at the North East River Y/C. Great venue, modern marina with floating piers, friendly community of members and lots of activities for sailors. Short and easy commute form PA.
Home
Highly recommended.
lovetwosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 08:54   #13

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Another for Rock Hall. We keep our boat at The Sailing Emporium, and are very happy there. Other marinas in town are also very nice. It's nice having enough marine based business and services available in town if you should need them. There is a West Marine in town as well.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 15:21   #14

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
Another for Rock Hall. We keep our boat at The Sailing Emporium, and are very happy there. Other marinas in town are also very nice. It's nice having enough marine based business and services available in town if you should need them. There is a West Marine in town as well.

Where's the West Marine? We usually stay at either Rock Hall Landing, Osprey Point, or Haven Harbor, but we've biked mostly all around... I can't place where the WM might be?

-Chris
Old 20-03-2013, 15:30   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

Where's the West Marine? We usually stay at either Rock Hall Landing, Osprey Point, or Haven Harbor, but we've biked mostly all around... I can't place where the WM might be?

-Chris
Next 2 pasta plus?

Lol
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote