Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 11:42   #1

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
North Florida, southern Georgia anchorages?

Any favorites? We are leaving Saint Augustine soon and don’t need to be in Brunswick GA until July. There must be some nice stops along the way.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:07   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: North Florida, southern Georgia anchorages?

We saw boats anchored in the Ortega River (JAX) over this last winter, and we also saw several anchored just off the marina at Fernandina Beach. Latter seemed unprotected and we had some blowy weather... but the anchored boats all seemed to do OK.

Check Active Captain for reviews and other ideas...

-Chris
Old 07-06-2020, 04:56   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

..advise to review the current Ga. anchoring requirements that are still in affect..

s/v Tango
St. Mary’s,Ga.
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:37   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Cumberland Island.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:55   #5

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

The St Johns river is very nice and an easy cruise. You can go all the way to Palatka with comfortable depths and easy anchoring everywhere. There are several places you can use a dock for free or nearly free. The dock at the intersection of the St Johns and Clapboard creek is a nice stop with free dockage. Also there is a nice dock right off Green Cove Springs downtown that is very reasonable.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
The St Johns river is very nice and an easy cruise. You can go all the way to Palatka with comfortable depths and easy anchoring everywhere. There are several places you can use a dock for free or nearly free. The dock at the intersection of the St Johns and Clapboard creek is a nice stop with free dockage. Also there is a nice dock right off Green Cove Springs downtown that is very reasonable.
These are beautiful wilderness places south of Green Cove Springs that include filming locations from Lloyd Bridges' Sea Hunt" and the movie "The Creature From the Black Lagoon". Dark swamp waters, clear springs at Lake George, alligators lounging on the banks; however, a fixed 45' bridge at Green Cove will block most of this beauty from your cruising.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:51   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
These are beautiful wilderness places south of Green Cove Springs that include filming locations from Lloyd Bridges' Sea Hunt" and the movie "The Creature From the Black Lagoon".
Film locations:Glenn Cove, Silver Springs, California, etc......

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...e-black-lagoon
Old 07-06-2020, 08:22   #8

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Sorry, I forgot about the bridge just past Green Cove.

However there are lots of beautiful dinghy trips between the ocean and Green Cove. Julington (and Durban) creeks are gorgeous and a easy trip from the river. Also Black creek, Doctors lake, Arlington river.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:52   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
Sorry, I forgot about the bridge just past Green Cove.
Some make it past to Palataka by unstepping their mast..but most especially on this forum have not made it to Sanford..
Old 07-06-2020, 10:40   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Film locations:Glenn Cove, Silver Springs, California, etc......

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...e-black-lagoon
Wakulla Springs is a beautiful commonly used filming location and not part of the St. Johns River head waters like Silver Springs. There is no such place as Glenn Cove, Florida. I think the author of the article was probably more familiar with the Glen Cove on Long Island, NY and no one corrected this old article that was meant to refer to "Green Cove", a common reference to Green Cove Springs. I didn't remember the second Creature from the Black Lagoon with the Jacksonville restaurant. 'thanks for the info.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:53   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
There is no such place as Glenn Cove, Florida.
Glen Cove is a neighborhood of Miami..
Old 07-06-2020, 12:00   #12

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30

Fort George, Just north of St. Johns river. This in one of the most beautiful anchorages we have found on the southern ICW. Holding is very good and it is very protected. The plantation is a historical site that is well worth a tour and is accessible from a dingy dock.
Crossing the bar from the ICW to the Fort George river is restricted by tide so you have to wait for high tide. Once you cross the bar depths are 12ft or more. Go past the dock and the green day marker and anchor in the middle of the channel. Very peaceful anchorage, but it is a bit busy with fishing boats on the weekend and holidays. Check Active Captain for details.
Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:45   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Glen Cove is a neighborhood of Miami..
I can't seem to get anything right today! I grew up in the Miami area and I never heard of this. I once took a guest slip at the Glen Cove Marina on the north shore of Long Island and now I've seen a Glen Cove near Napa Valley in California. I'm often puzzled by filming locations. I remember watching Elvis Presley driving down a Fort Lauderdale highway in the movie "Clambake". Growing up on the South Florida beaches, we never had clams to bake except the Coquinas on the Gulf Coast. 'and Elvis was driving along an arid coast with mountains in the background! I better stay away from the film location topics!

....'back to anchoring in North Florida and South Georgia. I like anchoring in the little oxbow on the south side of Pine Island north of St. Augustine. The Saint Johns River is full of nice anchorages. With the downtown Jax Landing closed, the best for shore access is the Green Cove City Dock,- 'easiest to anchor off and dinghy in, but formerly just $10/overnight with power. Governor's Creek has a boat ramp for a dinghy tie with a grocery across the street. Hallow's Cove in a nice uncrowded wilderness area. The best tropical storm hideout is behind the Florida Yacht Club in Pirates Cove. You can squeeze a 5' draft in there an anchor in mud. I spent a couple of tropical storms in there with comfort on a 200' chain to a 45lb Mantus. There's far less available room in Ortega River, but usually a transient slip and all shopping opportunities. We like Fernandina as well as Cumberland Island. There's also an excellent good holding anchorage in 12 to 15 depths on the East side of Blount Island ca. 250' off the houses just west of the "caution manatees" sign. This is up the St. Johns only about a mile west of the ICW and across the river from Fort Caroline where Jean Ribault established a French settlement before St. Augustine.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:26   #14

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I have anchored just NE of the Three Sisters bridge that is right at where the Intracoastal goes N from the St Johns River, FL. There is room for 3-4 boats. It is quite protected. There is a public launching ramp across the waterway. This is convenient as an overnight stop that is not out of the way.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, florida, georgia