Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 07:00   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
NE USA to Med Routing May 2019

Im planning to crew on a crossing from the NE USA (exact departure point not known yet, but potentially the NY area) in May 2019.

Ive reviewed Cornell's routes (specifically AN142). His recommendation is basically do a lattitude sail along 40N until past the Azores the veer SE toward Gibraltar. This keeps you in westerly trades and above the Azores High.

We are considering a stop in the Azores, even though they are a bit S of this route.

Looking for any suggestions regarding this route.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 23:04   #2

Boat: 50' Ligure power cat
Re: NE USA to Med Routing May 2019

We're thinking of the same for 2020, so watching/subscribing here too...
bluenomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:37   #3

I know guys like boatie have experience with this route...suggestions?

Also any related suggestions re the Azores & Gilbratar?
Old 06-01-2019, 04:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NE USA to Med Routing May 2019

Dunno how old your Cornell book is but the last couple of trips the E'lies have stretched to as far W as Bermuda and N of 43*.. mainly light.. mind this has been May and June crossings.
So stay N of 45* or carry extra fuel.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:56   #5

Its the 7th edition (2014), but who knows when that specific route was last updated.

What do you think about diverting to the Azores and then onto Gib?
Old 06-01-2019, 05:07   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would recommend an Azores stop.. great islands to visit..
The weather in the N Atlantic is not as reliable or predictable as it was, so I cannot say you will have good winds for the Azores - Gib leg.. at least till past the islands by 100nm.. then you should start picking up winds with N in them.. also be prepared for light winds/calms once past St Vincente.. many times have I had to motor from Portimao to Gib.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:10   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

For departure, I would suggest mid April if possible. The routing is simple, go north until you find enough wind, go south when you have too much wind. If you want to stop (or forced to stop) in Azores, you may find very light or no wind at all when you approach 100-150 nm to Azores. In any case, carrying a bit of extra diesel is a good idea.
After Azores, the winds are predominantly west north/northerly, thus keep yr nose always 10-15 degrees north. If you fall south of Gibraltar too early you will have hard time to steer towards north.
Gibraltar strait has almost always strong winds (either east to west or west to east), tides, strong currents and heavy traffic. If the conditions are not in yr favor and are not in rush, spend a day or two in Cadiz. Useless to stop in Gibraltar, expensive.. Go to La Linea, excellent marina 1/3 of Gib prices.

From there until southeast tip of Spain, you will most likely have favorable winds. Then until soutt west of Greece you may have all kind of winds, including no winds at all. Gales are not likely tough in the Med anywhere in summer months.

Good luck

Yeloya
yeloya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:58   #8

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I would HIGHLY recommend the Azores. Flores is lightly populated and one of the most beautiful islands we have ever visited. Horta is a sailor's paradise. Angra do Heroísmo on Terceira is at the base of a small extinct volcano with a beautiful park and small zoo at the top. Say hello to my buddy Alex who runs Sail Tours, the small charter company based here. Lots to see in the Azores, with very affordable prices.

We were in La Linea for most of November 2018. Prices are cheaper than Gibraltar, but no longer 1/3. Maybe 20% cheaper. The big issue is Marina Bay in Gibraltar is in the beginning of a huge rebuilding project and berths are hard to get during the construction. Perhaps go to Gibraltar for one day to load up on alcohol, fuel, and if you smoke, cigarettes. Gibraltar is the cheapest in the Med for these items. I found the chandlery in Gibraltar (Sheppards) to be cheaper and better stocked than the one in La Linea, also.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:41   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I agree on yr view on Azores. Unfortunately I was in rush and couldn't stay there as long as I wanted to do. My knowledge on La Linea and Gibraltar are from December 2011. At that time I paid for my 43 ft cat 15 € day vs. 72 Pound for Gibraltar. I was quoted for a small job on my rigging in Gib for 88 Pound and La Linea marina has orgonised a guy for 40€ and he did very good job. I cannot compare the chandelery which I didn't need. I was told that the fuel was significantly cheaper in Gib and paid around 1 euro a liter . It was 1,2 in La Linea.
Obviously, nothing stays the same, last summer I took my cat from La Rochelle to Turkey and there were no fuel less than 1,69 e a liter..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:49   #10

Thanks for all the input!

Definately would like to stop in the Azores, may be could leave that open as an option depending upon forecast....we will have good access to weather aboard.

It is a USA flagged vessel, so no exit documents needed. How picky are Azores/Gib officials about that (Mexico has started requiring exit papers from USA vessels)?
Old 06-01-2019, 07:51   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dunno how old your Cornell book is but the last couple of trips the E'lies have stretched to as far W as Bermuda and N of 43*.. mainly light.. mind this has been May and June crossings.
So stay N of 45* or carry extra fuel.

Boatman61, I have question, if I am wrong my apologies.

I red somewhere, must be some of your posts here on CS forum or somewhere on the internet, blog or something, can not remember, and I understand that you only have RYA day skipper "certificate of competency" (if I am mistaken, sorry) so, technically speaking you are only allowed
skippering by day in familiar waters, so I wonder how you are crossing Biscay let alone oceans, is it that illegal. what about insurance, people or agencies that hire,employing you, did they ask you for any certificate or they jus take your word and give you boat.

I understand if you have RYA yacht master ocean or at least yacht master offshore, but day skipper, and then you are going to deliver boat from, let say, US to France, or even from UK to Med. How you are dealing with authorities in countries, if you let say, just crossed Atlantic, you arrived in, let say France or Spain, and they asked you for "papers" and you showed them day skipper "certificate" and that is it, no problem.

Nothing against you, just curious.
Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:57   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually I have the equivalent of the RYA Coastal Skipper power and sail upto 24metres or 80GT.
The only insurance company that I had problems with was a US one, cannot remember which but Pantaenius has no problems at all with me nor anyone else come to that.
Experience trumps qualifications, especially a clean copy book.. only claim I have made in the last 40yrs has been for a lightening strike.. and no owner has ever needed to make a claim when I have been skipper.
Only negative posted about me was an Australian couple who were trying to dodge paying me.
I took them to court and they settled out of court.. they had no claim.
Also have held other UK commercial licences which are now out of date and am a holder of a Spanish Marinheiros blue book from when I worked for a company on the Costas.
Hope that satisfies you..
I wont show the discourtesy of asking you the same in open forum..
Be lucky..

Old 06-01-2019, 09:12   #13

Boat: DownEaster 38

What's the best route to the Med from the Caribbean? I have a friend who plans on that next year. Timing is flexible.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:23   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

For me its always St Martin - Azores - Algarve - Med.
Many prefer heading N to Bermuda before hanging a right for the Azores.. cuts down days at sea without a break.
It depends on the size of the boat as well..
I have done Caribe - Azores on a 32ftr in 24 days and on a L45 its taken 16days.. some big (18-20m) boats have done it in 11 days..
Its a weather and favourable wind dependant trip.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:50   #15

Boat: DownEaster 38

Thanks. I like the idea of a leg to Bermuda. They will probably have a rather light weight crew. Boat is Farr 60 Pilot House. Capable of comfortable passage.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote