Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2021, 15:21   #1

Marinas in New York City

I see there are about 20 marinas in/around NYC. Anybody have knowledge of the costs, and difficulty of finding a slip for a catamaran with ~21 foot beam?

What about living aboard?

Thanks.
Jim
river251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 15:32   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: Marinas in New York City

I briefly moored my boat at the 79th St Boat Basin. I recommend avoiding that and the other city-owned marinas. It was convenient, but they were not equipped to take care of moorings or boats. When someone else dragged onto my boat, they suggested I leave. So I did.

Port Washington, Long Island isn't exactly in the city, but it's a beautiful place to keep a boat. I was on a mooring, but there is dock space out there too.
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 18:03   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post
I see there are about 20 marinas in/around NYC. Anybody have knowledge of the costs, and difficulty of finding a slip for a catamaran with ~21 foot beam?

Thanks.
Jim
Let’s just say VERY difficult, unless you’re pulling down finance money in Manhattan. LOL.

You’ll pay through the nose for a catamaran in nyc marinas.

Thinking of liberty landing (in nj), they wanted to put you on a 70ft minimum end dock or just put you in a pair of slips they’d rent to you at the same time.

And they’re one of the reasonable places.

The cost to put a 50ft cat on the end dock is $24,340 per year, assuming one becomes available. It’s a slim chance. The same mega yachts occupy those slips year after year.

The cost to put it in the pair of slips is $34,000 a year.

Plus you pay all your own electric. It goes in your name.

Oh, hey. Welcome to nyc. LOL.

Liberty landing is a liveaboard friendly marina. Liberty Harbor won’t allow liveaboards, even under the radar.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 18:31   #4

Boat: Freedom 39 PHS

Frankly even finance money might not save you if you need a slip. A marina's a rotten place for a sailboat when you can have a mooring. We've paid a very reasonable rate in Manhasset Bay with the port washington water taxi for the past 2 years. Service is fast and runs late, you can access westmarine, stop and shop, and free parking via the water taxi, free pump-out, several restaurants on the bay and one of the best hurricane holes in NYC. All the tackle is immaculate and at the end of the season it's no longer your problem. All you've got to do is figure out winter storage at that point. Oh yeah and you're a walk to the LIRR if you need to get into manhattan.

Given the choice I'd take the $15000 I saved and buy whatever solar/pumps/tackle I needed to be confident with the boat at a mooring.
CaptAirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 08:19   #5

We stayed for a while on a mooring at the Richmond County Yacht Club on Staten Island. It’s well protected and safe. Technically, it is New York City, albeit in the borough farthest from Manhattan. There is an express bus that picks up within walking distance of the yacht club, and delivers you to lower Manhattan in around 45 minutes.

myageofsail.com
psp2psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 09:14   #6

Boat: Catalina Mk1 36

All the suggestions so far are very good, been to them all. You might look into City Island as well. There are several YCs there. Further East with very easy access to Long Island RR, a walk across Teddy Roosevelt park, is Oyster Bay Marine, which will rent you moorings for day, week season, which would include Launch service. Its where I have "lived" for 40 years. Also winter storage available on the hard, supermarket, restaurants playground and Carvel.
Old 28-02-2021, 10:06   #7

Some straight edge people I knew kept a boat up some waterway in Brooklyn and claimed that they paid nothing. There surely were no facilities and they must have constantly been concerned about unwanted visits from one law enforcement agency or another, or private security, but they managed for a number of months. I’d love to stay a short while at the marina just below the Brooklyn Bridge- the views of lower Manhattan are exotic. Guess that there’s a lot of rock and roll and it’s dearly expensive, but a spectacular place to call home for a few days.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 12:02   #8

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

You'll find quite a few cats in Manhasset Bay, both on moorings, marinas and anchored.
Travel to the city is ease on the LIRR, about 45 minutes, plenty of shops and facilities.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 13:31   #9

Boat: 1988 Sunward 48' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
I briefly moored my boat at the 79th St Boat Basin. I recommend avoiding that and the other city-owned marinas. It was convenient, but they were not equipped to take care of moorings or boats. When someone else dragged onto my boat, they suggested I leave. So I did.

Port Washington, Long Island isn't exactly in the city, but it's a beautiful place to keep a boat. I was on a mooring, but there is dock space out there too.
We've spent time at both the 79th Street Boat Basin and Port Washington and can highly recommend both. In contrast to pjShap,, we had a terrific stay at the City Parks & Rec run 79th Street Boat Basin, on the Upper West Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan. The marina was full, and at 48' we were too big for their mooring balls, so we anchored further up river in Parks & Rec controlled anchorage. It cost a few dollars/day ($20, I seem to recall), which gave us a key card for access to the marina docks and restrooms. But it's location, location, location, as they say in real estate. What's not to like about stepping out of the gated marina and walking to Central Park West in<5 minutes! I will caution you, though, be prepared for a stiff current in that part of the Hudson.

As for Port Washington, it's an idyllic NYC suburb harbor with two fine yacht clubs, both of which manage mooring fields. We stayed at North Shore Yacht Club, and they treated us quite well for the week we were there. Visit the nearby U.S. Merchant Marine Academy while there. It's the only U.S. service academy authorized a battle streamer.
dlane1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 15:28   #10

You bought a catamaran with a 21' beam????

Wow, River...
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 15:50   #11

Boat: Freedom 39 PHS

I realize I wasn't particularly detailed in my earlier post. To give you an idea of the Water Taxi's mooring costs, suffice to say for a 39' mono it was ballpark in the $2k or less range for the summer season. If you can find prices like that without a 10 year waiting list in the 5 boroughs, make sure you don't tell anyone about it.

The clubs there are a little lukewarm but the marinas and tradesmen around Port Wash are above and beyond terrific people. Won't bore anyone with stories but everyone in the bay is the kind of boat neighbors that'll call you if a halyard breaks free or your tackle is chafing.
CaptAirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post

Thanks.
Jim
Manhasset Bay Marina in Port Washington
They have a vibrant long term live aboard
community
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:20   #13
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
Some straight edge people I knew kept a boat up some waterway in Brooklyn and claimed that they paid nothing. There surely were no facilities and they must have constantly been concerned about unwanted visits from one law enforcement agency or another, or private security, but they managed for a number of months.
That would be the Newtown Creek, a Superfund site. There are many boats tied up along the north wall and bank which is behind junkyards and vehicle storage and parking. If you can find a spot you could tie up there. walk along the bank to a hole in the fence and then out to the street.

I was up and down this Creek 2 years ago and it's kind of Road-Warrior-looking. Maybe half the boats looked derelict and the other half had down on the luck occupants. Major sewage treatment plant on the Creek, which offered a very nice little dock years ago if you could take the noise and odor. Active Capt says they don't allow overnights now, depth is suspect.

Some barge traffic. My grandson and I enjoyed traveling the Creek to see the derelict industrial setting, but we liked abandoned industrial from the boat.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:05   #14

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I think it is important to note that this is a 21 foot beam. Manhasset bay marina can barely take a 50 foot boat with a 15 foot beam. In fact, they had no room for one all last year. I tried. They’re never going to take a 21 foot beam.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:05   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'll add my favorable opinion of Manhasset Bay. This was always our choice if we decided to spend more than just a passing by NYC. Port Washington also has convenient provisioning opportunities.

Tags
marinas, new york