Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2020, 11:49   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 71
Forced to change plans - where to go now?

This is our first year cruising. We left Texas with a loose plan to go to the Bahamas first and then spend the summer in luperon DR. We made it to Boot Key Harbor in the Florida keys and, until COVID-19 sprang up, have been waiting for a weather window to cross.

We’re now cruising the out islands of the keys and starting to discuss where we go from here. Our preference would be to be in a hurricane hole or outside of the box for summer. Places we can anchor and stay out of marinas. With countries closing borders it seems traveling north along the the US east coast would be prudent rather than going south.

My question is for recommendations where to go. We’ve never considered going north before. Any ideas?
__________________

apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 12:17   #2
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville/ out cruising
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 30,024
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

What were your plans for Hurricane season to begin with? Surely they weren’t stay in the Bahamas.
I’d execute the Summer plan early.
__________________

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 12:33   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 71
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What were your plans for Hurricane season to begin with? Surely they weren’t stay in the Bahamas.
I’d execute the Summer plan early.


See above, we had planned to spend the summer hurricane season in Luperon, DR. That’s now no longer an option.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 12:58   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,950
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

Perhaps a simple U-Turn and return to Texas if that is your home State.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 13:34   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Underway in the Med -
Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Posts: 2,257
Images: 1
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

Why not north along the EC of the USA any idea how long it is? See something that you would not otherwise experience .. but what is your mast height ..
There is really a lot to see and do and your insurance company will appreciate it .. and what insurance co would let you stay in the DR for hurricane without a huge premium
__________________
just our thoughts and opinions
chuck and svsoulmates
Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 13:35   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Manatee River, FL
Boat: Nauticat 43
Posts: 135
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

Apirate, our plans were similar to yours. Cross from the Keys to Bahamas in Feb, drop down to Turks & Caicos, then the DR, Puerto Rico, and down to Grenada by 1Jun. But, we have been stuck in paradise in St Pete. I assume countries will be through flattening their economies by mid-to-late April, so our revised sketch of plans is cross the Keys to Bahamas midMay. Skip Turks & Caicos and the DR but be below Puerto Rico by midJun. Keeping an eye on tropical storms and hurricanes, we'll get down to Grenada as soon as possible, targeting earlyJul.
__________________
"If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else." Yogi Berra
Ded reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 13:45   #7
Registered User
 
CaptRehab's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boston
Boat: Cal 29(Boston) Nautitech 441(Grenada)
Posts: 105
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

Stay in US waters. We are in Grenada and can’t move. If you want to head North I can say the Chesapeake is lovely, As the weather gets warmer nothing beats sailing in New England. Most Marinas will be closed for some time. You might find getting fuel, water, provisions is very difficult. Chances are you are best to stay put until things open up. Best of. Luck
CaptRehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 13:50   #8
Registered User
 
CaptRehab's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boston
Boat: Cal 29(Boston) Nautitech 441(Grenada)
Posts: 105
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

https://youtu.be/mbYM24EhI2M

Here is our YouTube Channel. I will post more
CaptRehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 14:01   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
Steve_C's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bulverde, Texas
Boat: Shopping for a Cat
Posts: 464
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

If you can provision why not do the Bahamas for a while, before heading up the East Coast of the US. You could work your way up all the way to Maine as things warm up. Head back down next fall to the Chesapeake. This back down to the Caribe next winter!

Until things settle and become clearer with the new world order I would prefer to be close to or in the US. Lots more options as things develop.

Best of Luck!
__________________
_________________
Steve

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science" - Albert Einstein
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 15:56   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: La Honda, California
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Posts: 238
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
If you can provision why not do the Bahamas for a while, before heading up the East Coast of the US. You could work your way up all the way to Maine as things warm up. Head back down next fall to the Chesapeake. This back down to the Caribe next winter!

Until things settle and become clearer with the new world order I would prefer to be close to or in the US. Lots more options as things develop.

Best of Luck!
The Bahamas are now closed. All ports of entry shut down.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 17:07   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 12,128
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Why not north along the EC of the USA any idea how long it is? See something that you would not otherwise experience .. but what is your mast height ..
There is really a lot to see and do and your insurance company will appreciate it .. and what insurance co would let you stay in the DR for hurricane without a huge premium
New England is an absolutely AWESOME summer venue...if not still in lock down by summer.

Until then, I think staying put is the best option.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 17:30   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Posts: 485
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

I second the Chesapeake Bay. A million anchorages, access to public transportation, etc. Great holding, good fishing, and more. It's my home waters. Also it's a three day sail to New England from Chesapeake.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 18:31   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 8,248
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

If it was me I'd sit tight for at least 4 to 6 weeks and see what the situation is then.
Then I would probably head to the Chesapeake to get some hurricane season protection. From there you can decide if you want to go further north, like Maine, or just explore and/or hunker down in the Chesapeake. Lots of anchorages and places to explore there.
__________________
Paul
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 20:48   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,670
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

I think you head back to Texas, particularly if you have family there.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 08:42   #15
Registered User

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Land of 100,000 lakes
Boat: Boatless for now, looking!
Posts: 147
Re: Forced to change plans - where to go now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I think you head back to Texas, particularly if you have family there.

+1 Agree, your turn to try farming, i.e. living in next year land.
I really don't see this ending any time soon. Black Plague came in waves, Spanish Flu came in waves. I do not think this will be any different.
__________________

__________________
Kaos, Panic, Disorder, my work here is done.
Midnight Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crap. Just broke toilet. Groco EB model. Lever forced. GreenMM Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 13 08-06-2016 19:51
YAnmar 3GM30F forced air induction mod julius222 Engines and Propulsion Systems 30 23-10-2015 16:14
[SOLD] ESPAR/Eberspacher Airtronic DV5 12V diesel forced air heating kit SuperV Classifieds Archive 7 17-12-2014 22:29
Forced air ducting question Petar Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 1 27-09-2014 22:24
Webasto 3500 Forced Air Heater Info rebel heart Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 8 01-11-2012 09:48

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:15.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.