Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2016, 09:15   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Florida as a jumping off point?

Oh I wouldn't have temped the Gods with the no Hurricane statement, just like Savannah hasn't had one in a long time doesn't mean that this year may be the year.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 14:51   #17

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

I would buy a boat somewhere other than in Florida because of the salt and sun. A fresh water boat would probably give you the least problems if it was well maintained.

I like the idea of Jacksonville. I have never spent time there but always go through there on the ICW. The idea of fresh water is easier on the boat. I love Fernandina Beach by the St Mary's River inlet. When you are ready, you could sail up or down the coast for experience. It has a good airport to fly to. I know it is a lot more reasonable in terms of costs than south Florida.

Oriental would work except it is between 2.5 & 3 hours to the airport in Raleigh.

Set a goal, read everything you can about liveaboards. Make 3 lists about a boat. NEEDS, what it has to have, WANTS what else you would like to have & DESIRES, the things you would have if you had the money.

Starting today, save all the money you can.
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 22:52   #18

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

I started in MN and went out through the lakes, coast and now in the Gulf. It was cheaper in on Superior by just a bit. Get your rig and hull in shape so you don't loose them and then go. You'll figure out what else you need and learn about all kinds of places along the way to stop and work on your boat. You are best off if you save your money until you've travelled a bit so you know what you need and not just what you want. Florida is fine if you stay away from Miami area pricing. And there are lots of places to stop, all the way from NY to Jacksonville, you'll get somewhere and WISH you could stay.
Old 20-03-2016, 07:06   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

When I was researching my first blue water boat and what to buy I found some great advise. The best boat buying advise I've ever heard was "Buy the smallest boat you can live with."

Bigger is not better when it comes to boats, unless of course you have multiple billions of dollars and are just looking for a way to consume them.

A bigger boat means: bigger purchase, bigger crew, bigger marina fees, bigger repairs, bigger motors and sails, which leads to bigger machinery to control the sails, etc, etc, etc.

IMO Florida is the best place to buy a boat, because it has the most boats. Spring/Summer might be the best time of year to buy, because of hurricane season. For example, old couple comes to Florida on their boat for the winter, something happens to one of them and the other is left to get rid of the boat before hurricane season is upon them.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 17:27   #20

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolfP View Post
I started in MN and went out through the lakes, coast and now in the Gulf.
I was figuring down the Mississippi, and maybe the Tenn-Tom, which is why I was thinking maybe Mobile, for my getting ready for salt water, if I end up buying a boat on the lakes that'd I'd want to take to the gulf. (The alternative is to buy a boat for the lakes, then sell it when I'm ready to move South. Depends entirely upon what I can find.)
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 18:10   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Florida is a GREAT "Jumping off point" for many sailors.
It is close to the Bahamas, Caribbean, and up the East Coast.

A lot will depend on your experience, desires, funding and dreams.

Come to Pensacola and visit with a bunch of "Cruisers" who have swallowed the anchor in Bayou Chico, Pensacola FL. On our side of the bayou we have several cruisers who will share.

PM and let us know when you are coming, we will reserve dock space or our guest cottage. FREE for genuine cruisers.

Tom & Barbara
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 19:08   #22

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

As someone just finishing a refit in Key West.. I will say that Florida is EXPENSIVE anywhere south of Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not just talking dockage/moorage. Food, fuel, transit... Everything is expensive (in fact I have not traveled anywhere more expensive).

However... If you do a refit in say 60 days, the percentage of extra is low. If you are looking to do a refit over a year, then HELL NO. Go north, refit, and sail back to Florida to jump off to other destinations!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 05:23   #23

Florida is a big state. Yes, the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale corridor is expensive. So is Key West. Sanibel is probably the single, most expensive place on the west coast once you get north of the Keys. Everybody who is talking about how expensive Florida is, is mentioning isolated areas that definitely ARE expensive, but also are definitely NOT representative of the entire state.

Jacksonville, and the entire east coast until you get south of Jupiter, is not too bad. St. Augustine is an exception, more expensive than most. On the west coast, other than Sanibel and maybe Marco Island, prices are generally very reasonable. Sarasota/Tampa Bay is a little more, but then there is Tarpon Springs and north where things are pretty inexpensive. Cedar Key is a nice place to visit, but it is also a pocket of slightly higher expenses along the Gulf coast.

So, yes, there are parts of Florida that are expensive. But there are also parts that are not. Again, it's a big state. It has the most coastline of all of the contiguous 48 states. More than any state except Alaska. So--no offense intended, but--visiting Sanibel and then drawing conclusions about the entire state of Florida is not unlike visiting San Francisco and then drawing conclusions about the entire state of California. Or visiting New York City and then drawing conclusions about the entire state of New York. You are basing your conclusions on an extremely skewed view.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 15:12   #24
Coastal Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar CC 40

I have to side with the folks on the Pro Florida. I just moved my boat from canaveral to St Augustine and find the ocean access a big deal. The intercostal can be fun lots to see and Dolphins to watch. St Augustine has everything to do from 500 year old structures to wonderful marina's. My slip now is less than a mile from the ocean with no bridges. Powered slips with amenities are 400-500 per month. Without about half that. And anchorages are all around on the inter coastal waterway. To me if you want to be a sailor and leave the middle of the country it's all about ocean access. From St Augustine it's almost year around. We even get to wear foulies in January! Nothing but bikinies the rest of the year....
Chris Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 18:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
As someone just finishing a refit in Key West.. I will say that Florida is EXPENSIVE anywhere south of Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not just talking dockage/moorage. Food, fuel, transit... Everything is expensive (in fact I have not traveled anywhere more expensive).

However... If you do a refit in say 60 days, the percentage of extra is low. If you are looking to do a refit over a year, then HELL NO. Go north, refit, and sail back to Florida to jump off to other destinations!
Try North Florida - Jacksonville.
Old 21-03-2016, 18:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post

Using Key West as an example of Florida, is like using Malibu, CA as an example of real estate prices in the USA. If you want a bargain, go to Green Cove Springs, up the St. Johns River for a re-fit - not Key West!
Old 21-03-2016, 18:18   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
Try North Florida - Jacksonville.
I would have, but the timing didn't work out. Jacksonville is a long way to go in the dead of winter in a boat needing a refit. Sometimes, you do what needs to be done!

One thing I will say.. Doesn't matter if you are in South Florida, North Florida, or anywhere else in the USA. Amazon prime is kickass! Anyone contemplating a refit should not overlook buying online, particularly Amazon!
Old 21-03-2016, 18:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
Using Key West as an example of Florida, is like using Malibu, CA as an example of real estate prices in the USA. If you want a bargain, go to Green Cove Springs, up the St. Johns River for a re-fit - not Key West!
Although my boat was in Key West, I shopped up the coast. I stand by my statement "Anything south of Fort Lauderdale is expensive". I never said all of Florida was expensive, but wanted to give first hand experience on a particular area!

Tags
florida