Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 17:10   #1

Cruising to Sea of Cortez ...

New to Cruisers' Forum, but what a great resource. My wife and I are considering cruising down the west coast next fall as part of the Baja Ha Ha and then up north into the Sea of Cortez. Our daughter is a student at ASU and according to info on the web, is only 4 hours or so from Rocky Point. Question....can anyone comment on sailing in the north section of the Sea of Cortez? Is it reasonable to think we could leave our boat in Rocky Point for a few months while our daughter and her friends visit? Our plan would be to do this then sail south before summer, round Cabo and then bring our boat north to Portland. Appreciate any advise.....
thanks
alan
masallah 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:15   #2

Boat: too many
Re: Cruising to Sea of Cortez....

I'll get right back to you on this. Until I do, check this out.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ico-71642.html

Welcome to CF my friend.

Here is what I posted to the above thread.......

Being new to this site but not being new to the Sea of Cortez, this thread has had excellent information posted to it.

The locals are truly great people, with all the right priorities concerning family and their life. It has been my observation that the cruisers in the Sea of Cortez do indeed put a very good face on what folks from the United States are about. They show respect to the locals, help out in local fundraising events, and blend right into the local community. For anybody considering cruising north up through the sea of Cortez, my personal favorite spot is Mulege and Bahia de Concepcion. I certainly hope by posting this I do not alienate my other cruising friends who also love this spot and maybe want to keep it a secret, but I really don't think my little post here is going to change things. As most of you know this is a bay within a bay, and because of that waters are crystal clear. If you are a fan of desert meeting the sea and the changing blue hues of clear, clean water, this just might be your place too. The town Mulege is on the only year-round river on the whole Baja Peninsula, with many palm trees. Great protected anchorages all throughout, plus a number of Hot Springs that local cruisers using rocks had turned into truly excellent thermal baths. The hotel south of town has a dirt airstrip for folks that might have to head north to take care of some business. If anybody is interested in this area, or who has also enjoyed this area, go ahead and add comments or ask questions.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sea of cortez