Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2021, 05:14   #1

Crossing Biscay in January by small boat

Hello fellow cruisers,
I'm a solo sailor on boat Albin Vega 27, sailing around the Europe to the Africa. Currently im in Belgium/Nieuwpoort and gonna sail canal la manche and than Biscay Bay. My question is if its possible to slowly sail south along the French coast this time of the year or it's not and its better to wait for a weather window and go across Biscay from Brest straight to La Coruna. I have a time, im not in rush. I prefer to slowly move than to wait weeks or months for crossing Biscay. What would you recommend?
Will be grateful for every tips, cheers 🙌
Few Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 06:09   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Crossing Biscay in January by small boat

Have you done a search?

https://www.worldcruising.com/newsar...ID=186&ItemID=
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 12:53   #3

Yes, i know this article. Doesn't answer my questions. I'm looking for an opinion and knowledge of people who know this from practical side I'll very grateful for any advice and suggestions.
Old 23-12-2021, 13:19   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I’ve done crossing in November and December. The December one resulted in two 90 degree knockdowns , I’ve wised up since
Old 23-12-2021, 13:34   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crossing Biscay in January by small boat

Done it non stop from Brixham to Viviero in Nov/Dec on a Hurley 22 in 2008.. the window I sailed on was supposed to be 6 days of NW'lies moderate... half a day S past Ushant the gales started and built up to 60+kts and sea's upto 11 metres.. spent most of the remaining 240 odd nm hove to going backwards with wind and current pushing me S at around 2.5kts.. kept changing tack to control my track down to Viviero.
I would suggest from Brest hop down the coast to Bordeaux then jump across to Gijon.. stay outa the corner of the Bay.
Other option is get down to La Rochelle and wait for a decent window then jump across to Viviero or La Coruna.. 2 days sail.
Have fun..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 17:12   #6

Boat: X-Yachts X4.9 15.0m

I've done this trip in both directions both directly across Biscay and coast hopping along France. If you have the time, the Atlantic coast and islands of France are worth seeing and will give you much more flexibility to use the shorter weather windows. My suggested itinerary is L'Aberwrach (you need to stop here to wait for the right tide to pass the Chenal du Four), Camaret (prettier than Brest and less wasted distance up the river). You need to wait at Camaret or Brest to catch the tide to pass Pointe du Raz. Then to Benodet and along the French coast as you wish (don't miss Ile d'Yeu and Ile de Re) and eventually to La Rochelle.

After this the coastline is shallow, places to stop fewer and you need to check the dates/times to pass the restricted areas off the Landes missile range. Most people cross La Rochelle to Santander (about 180nm) or Gijon or Viviero or one of the other Rias Altas. The North coast of Spain is varied and interesting. I did La Rochelle to La Coruña direct on one occasion with a strong crew, good following wind and a larger 46' boat.

A Biscay crossing in your boat might be 4 days minimum. Cruising the France and Spain coasts from L'Aberwrach to La Coruña probably needs 3 weeks to be enjoyable and the days are short in January.
dcarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 17:59   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

I have done Biscay twice.

Solo. January. 27ft boat. The word "brave" is often used as a euphemism.

Belgium has great food and beer. I would carry on enjoying them until the summer!

Actually, maybe sail the other direction for a short distance to Ostend, which I once read has more restaurants per square whatever than anywhere else in Europe and is a lot less boring than Nieuwpoort. I used to keep my boat there and loved it.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 05:09   #8

Crossed Biscay 6 times in one year,,end of January
Crossing I had my Butt handed to me on a huge Plate,
Two Dutch War Ships stayed close by for 36 hours
Waiting to save me...
I made it to Kip marina in Scotland eventually,would I
Do it again in January ? Probably,but then again,I have
A death wish.
If you have the time,go around the Bay keeping one
Foot on the beach,,sort of .
Hope you have a heater on board..
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 07:20   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

January on the Biscay is for those with a serious death wish - although you might (note carefully the word might) be able to coast hop. Be colder than a winters day on Iceland though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 13:46   #10

Boat: Amel 50

Hmm, interesting info so far. I’m also planning on crossing from La Rochelle in late January early February. Sounds like staying closer to shore may provide quick refuge. Unless the Orcas are hungry.
Habana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 14:56   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Few Days, you know there is a route from St Malo through the canals to La Roche-Bernard and then out to the sea. By chance you have a yacht that with the mast down could make it, I think. Friends did it in a 7m rib and whilst it took them a few days, they made it. You need to check the opening times for the Brittainy canals on the French Websites. Check with the harbourmaster in Dinan if the small manual crane will lower your mast, if not do it in St Malo.

From La R-B its a 150m run to Bordeaux and the Canal du Midi all the way to the med, again subject to canal opening times etc.

Just be aware the French lost a lifeboat out there a couple of years ago. Whilst I have crossed Biscay several times, I wouldn't go at this time of year.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 15:08   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habana View Post
Hmm, interesting info so far. I’m also planning on crossing from La Rochelle in late January early February. Sounds like staying closer to shore may provide quick refuge. Unless the Orcas are hungry.
A storm quickly closes many of the harbours on the N Spanish and Portugal's coast. Could you delay until April?
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 19:45   #13

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habana View Post

Leaving La Rochelle, going south, there are no refuge ports along the French coast. Bordeaux is in principle manageable for an Amel 50 in moderate conditions, but not in a 30 footer. It has shallow approaches, which would be dangerous in strong westerlies. The entire coast is a lee shore and west to north west winds are the dominant direction.There is a large military exclusion zone [gunnery] south of La Rochelle from 5 miles to 40 miles offshore, which must be avoided.
To get from La Rochelle to La Coronna safely in winter a direct course away from the coast would be the prudent, least worst option, but definitely inadvisable in February.

kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 05:34   #14

Don't get me wrong here,it can be done AND you
Have a Tuff little Boat,,just be prepared for a serious
ass whipping AND the fact you may end up risking
Someone else's life by calling for help,you do this,you
Do it yourself,don't rely on others.
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 06:33   #15

I'll try to reach La Rochelle and then wait. That's the only one reasonable solution I guess. I know that i can stuck there till March or April, im not a suicide

Tags
boat, small boat