Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2019, 10:52   #16

Boat: Beneteau 473, 47ft
Re: Connecticut side of the Long Island Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
Thanks again Skipmac!

We’re actually shooting for Penobscot Bay this year; made it up to Casco Bay this past summer before turning around to head back south for the winter.

Appreciate the info, will add it to our list!
Last year’s stops included Cuttyhunk, Provincetown, Isle of Shoals, Portsmouth, Rockport (NH), Jewell Island & The Basin.

We’ve been to Vinyard Haven Harbor, but only as a quick overnight stop... Martha’s Vinyard & Nantucket are on our list for this year.

Again, Thank you!
Hi!

It looks like we are following each other! I seem to remember seeing Rocinante (I'm from Spain and this name stands up ) last year in either Cuttyhunk or Provincetown. We are heading to Penobscot Bay in June so we may cross paths again.

Fair winds!

Ivan
S/V Balú
Ivanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:29   #17

Thimble Islands in Branford, CT (Stoney Creek)...dinghy to town dock and uber to supermarket(s).
phoenixone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 12:07   #18
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

+1 for Duck Island Roads and Fishers Island West Harbor.

I never liked staying overnight at the Thimbles because the currents can oppose the wind, and it's awful rocky there. Beautiful place for a short stay!
Old 14-03-2019, 12:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
They just dredged the channel into Lake Tashmoo so easier entrance.
This is good to know. Was it dredged after July 2018? We went through at mid-tide in July and it was SHALLOW coming through the entrance.

I said I'd never do it again, however, it was a very pretty anchorage and a good spot to overnight.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 12:32   #20

Boat: Freedom 30

Loving this tread. i am at city island and my wife and i have been sailing the sound for the last couple summers. Planning on cuttyhunk this year.
Anchored at Morris Cove off of New Haven but didn't know there was a free mooring available at the Yacht club. Old Saybrook has free moorings and a free municipal dock for your dingy. Easy walk to town with a couple nice restaurants and a market that has some nice local stuff. Also loved Stonington!
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 19:59   #21
kes

Boat: Albin 31 TE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweitz View Post
I would consider reserving dock space at Mystic Seaport. Once the seaport closes for the day, the only people allowed in are the boats at the dock, and it is a wonderful place to wander around.
I Stongly agree .. Mystic Seaport is a must if you've never been. The after hours are steller as the staff in the exhibits are busy working and able to really share some nice experiences.
kes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 20:39   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
This is good to know. Was it dredged after July 2018? We went through at mid-tide in July and it was SHALLOW coming through the entrance.

I said I'd never do it again, however, it was a very pretty anchorage and a good spot to overnight.
Actually kind of dredged it twice last year. Supposed to have been done last winter, permits issued contract let and someone screwed up and the channel ended up with a 3 1/2' hump in the entrance. Finally got it finished last summer so you should have about 10' MLW in the channel all the way into the harbor. Still shallow areas inside the harbor just inside the jetty's but mostly deep once you get into the harbor.

They have instituted anchoring restrictions in areas of eel grass which if I recall is more or less the middle of the harbor. Harbormaster can update you on that.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 07:41   #23

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Thanks Cthoops; will add Stonington to the list.
Unfortunately, Fishers Island is getting less & less friendly.
It was one of our standard stops for years, but last year, they wouldn’t even let us drop off our garbage (supermarket shopping bag) - seems the cost of getting the trash off the island has continued to go up.

Thanks Gravy26; good to know about the New Haven Yacht Clubs free guest mooring.

Thanks Symphony; will add Milford to the list.

Thanks tweitz; sounds like a great experience, will have to seriously consider doing that.

Thanks compassrose88; You’re the 2nd person to recommend Duck Island Roads - will definitely add it to the list!

Thanks munimula62; great info!

Thanks Dantorch; As I mentioned to Cthoops, we’ve always enjoyed Fishers Island. Usually walk around a bit, hit the deli for a sandwich, etc.

Hi Ivanvet!
You just might have; we were in Cuttyhunk from the 8th - 13th of July and in Provincetown from July 14th - August 7th on the way North and then again in September on the way South. If you spot us again, just pop over and say hi!

Thanks phoenixone; Thimble Islands look interesting, especially in settled weather.

Thanks for the +1 for Duck Island Roads Symphony; that makes it +3!

Thanks Jaqun; Good info on Old Saybrook… We loved Cuttyhunk!
You can anchor or take a mooring ($45/night in 2018 No launch service) and then dinghy into the town docks.
Residents are great, super friendly and helpful when you’re walking about. The little market in town is excellent considering how small they are and the pizza at Soprano’s (a bunch of picnic tables in some guys driveway) is excellent!

Thanks for the +1 on mystic after hours kes.

Again thanks to all that have commented - truly appreciate all the great suggestions!
Old 16-03-2019, 08:41   #24

Boat: Valiant 40

Essex is a must-do if only to visit the Griswald Inn, the oldest continuously operating inn and pub in the US. Very cool place and virtually unchanged since I was there as a gob-smacked child 50 years ago.

Mystic: if you can nail down your schedule, you can make a reservation to dock at the bulkhead right in the seaport, which allows you to walk around the grounds after closing and the crowds are gone. But you need to reserve early as there are only a few spots.

I loved Cuttyhunk as a child but now the harbor is so tightly packed with moorings that it’s an unattractive experience at best. Anchoring outside is much more pleasant.

The Thimble Islands of Connecticut are worth a stop during the week. They get a bit crowded with day boaters on weekends.

In Martha’s Vineyard I prefer Edgartown simply because of its beauty. It’s just a gorgeous town to walk the back streets of compared to Vineyard Haven. You can anchor outside the harbor in anything but a northerly.

Tarpaulin Cove on Naushon Island is a gorgeous spot although there is nowhere to go ashore.
Old 16-03-2019, 09:30   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Essex is a must-do if only to visit the Griswald Inn, the oldest continuously operating inn and pub in the US. Very cool place and virtually unchanged since I was there as a gob-smacked child 50 years ago.

Second this. Have a good friend that lives around the corner and he's' at the Gris for happy hour at least once or twice a week. However he claims the food is a bit pricey and better at other places.

Mystic: if you can nail down your schedule, you can make a reservation to dock at the bulkhead right in the seaport, which allows you to walk around the grounds after closing and the crowds are gone. But you need to reserve early as there are only a few spots.

Have made the normal hours visit but would love to go back and get a dock. Have added this to my list of things to do.

I loved Cuttyhunk as a child but now the harbor is so tightly packed with moorings that it’s an unattractive experience at best. Anchoring outside is much more pleasant.

If you go really early or really late in the season it opens up and you can pick up a mooring for the afternoon but yes the little harbor is jammed up.

The Thimble Islands of Connecticut are worth a stop during the week. They get a bit crowded with day boaters on weekends.

In Martha’s Vineyard I prefer Edgartown simply because of its beauty. It’s just a gorgeous town to walk the back streets of compared to Vineyard Haven. You can anchor outside the harbor in anything but a northerly.

Edgartown is definitely a nicer town to visit than VH but can get really crowded with a long wait to get into most restaurants.

Tarpaulin Cove on Naushon Island is a gorgeous spot although there is nowhere to go ashore.
But it does have a nice beach.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 07:15   #26

Thank you Suijin for the great suggestions & Thank you skipmac for the editorial comments! Love it!
Old 19-03-2019, 14:09   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

The beach is very nice, and they allow public use, additionally there is a very short walk up to a lighthouse. Otherwise, a private island, with notifications as such -nothing there even if you do venture inland.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 14:15   #28

Thanks for the additional info on Tarpaulin Cove two-rocks!
Old 19-03-2019, 19:28   #29

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post
The beach is very nice, and they allow public use, additionally there is a very short walk up to a lighthouse. Otherwise, a private island, with notifications as such -nothing there even if you do venture inland.

On a quiet night tarpaulin cove is beautiful. A nice beach walk and a dinghy ride away some excellent striped bass fishing to the west. And coming back to the boat and finding hundreds of swallows in the rigging!!!
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 19:50   #30

Boat: Columbia 50

Hadley harbour opposite woods hole is awesome. NO facilities, but there is an inner harbour with free moorings provided by the Rockefeller’s. Beautiful scenery, VERY tucked in. There is a little wooded island you can walk around on called Bull island.

Last time I was there, there were 4 Hershoff sailing dinghys at the docks, supposedly for the R kids way back when, each with its own color banner flying high, horses running around....the whole place was just dripping with charm.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Long Island, long island sound