Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2021, 16:52   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Can I anchor by Brighton Beach in New York?

I’ve anchored many times north of Brighton Beach… see photo below where the check mark is and the anchor symbols. I usually have a couple motor boats next to me and sometimes a sailboat or two.

BUT… can I anchor for lunch/swim to the South of Brighton Beach where the question mark is? Am I allowed to? I don’t see any anchoring symbols in Navionics (see below). Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	242802
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 17:55   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Can I anchor by Brighton Beach in New York?

Looks fine to me. As long as you are away from the channel and it’s very clear that you are not in the channel, you are good to go.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 18:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Looks fine to me. As long as you are away from the channel and it’s very clear that you are not in the channel, you are good to go.
Thank you! That's what I'm thinking, too.

Now... the question is: can I take my dinghy to shore and relax on the beach? Or is that a big no-no on public beaches in New York?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coney Island.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	242807  
Old 26-07-2021, 19:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Thank you! That's what I'm thinking, too.

Now... the question is: can I take my dinghy to shore and relax on the beach? Or is that a big no-no on public beaches in New York?
Find somewhere to land your dinghy (maybe the old anchorage) and take an Uber. You can’t land on the beach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	009C3221-D867-4D63-9F9B-176548706503.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	242814  
Old 26-07-2021, 20:08   #5

Quote:
Find somewhere to land your dinghy (maybe the old anchorage) and take an Uber. You can’t land on the beach.
Geez... they're stricter than... well... I can't think of anything. But they're very, very strict
Old 26-07-2021, 20:22   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Geez... they're stricter than... well... I can't think of anything. But they're very, very strict
It’s a tourist trap…

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 08:17   #7

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

That is Cooney island beach, it is where many many New Yorkers from all over the city ride the subway to the beach. Unless you really like people and are used to being in close proximity you may find it overwhelming. That is if you get to the beach without life guards flagging you off. It’s a safety issue, people in the water and outboards are the area or concern.
Have you ever anchored off of Breezey point?(labeled Rockaway Point) There is a small anchorage with several 20 something boats on the bay side of the barrier beach on the east side of the NYC inlet to the horbor there is a supermarket a couple of blocks in and a restaurant (Kennedy’s) right on the bay. There is also a free ferry to NYC east down the beach toward the bridge. You can land your dingy/rib many places without hassle as people approach there vessels this way at all hours.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 08:50   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Have you ever anchored off of Breezey point?(labeled Rockaway Point) There is a small anchorage with several 20 something boats on the bay side of the barrier beach on the east side of the NYC inlet to the horbor there is a supermarket a couple of blocks in and a restaurant (Kennedy’s) right on the bay. There is also a free ferry to NYC east down the beach toward the bridge. You can land your dingy/rib many places without hassle as people approach there vessels this way at all hours.
All the rules on NYC beaches are because they are CROWDED. The impact of a unsupervised dog, or dropped trash, goes up with the density of people.

Depending on your plans, a detour into Jamaica Bay could be pleasant. I haven’t been there in a long time, and never sailing, but there are several small marinas, and a little farther in there is a restaurant (The Wharf) which, at least, used to have a pier you could tie up at if you were eating there. You might consider calling Gateway National Recreation Area and asking about where you can land a dinghy, their map identifies several kayak launching areas.

Interestingly, Google show a pier marked Riis Landing at the spot where I remember a Coast Guard station. Don’t know what it is now. But it is right next to what looks like a small public beach.
DanielI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 12:37   #9

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Also keep in mind that there's no protection from the prevailing summer southwesterly winds there. The weather would have to be out of the North to be protected.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 15:06   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Um. There are underwater utility crossings there. Looks like quite a few. You can't anchor on those. I don't know whether they're power, communications, or something else. Your million-dollar liability umbrella will hit the limit before you're done paying for the repairs and loss of use if your anchor cuts one.

If you're away from those and away from the channel, well, maybe.

You could swim to shore if you're a strong swimmer. Whether the lifeguards will let you swim back to the boat, I doubt.
Old 27-07-2021, 19:27   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Um. There are underwater utility crossings there.

Agreed. Expressly marked on the Navionics chart, if OP zooms in further:

Name:	IMG_1627439212.580011.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	242868
Old 27-07-2021, 19:46   #12

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

If memory serves me, I think the current runs with a vengeance there.
Old 28-07-2021, 04:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
If memory serves me, I think the current runs with a vengeance there.
Was thinking the same thing. Based on the depths and the curve of the underwater shoaling (and the big arrow notation on the chart), the tide must rip around that point!

Hm. Not such a great spot after all... Maybe that's why there are no anchor notations on the chart...

Other suggestions sound really super, though. Wish I was there to enjoy them myself!

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 04:17   #14

Wait, what?

I was looking at the 9-10ft flat. The rest is the channel. Was the OP thinking of anchoring in the circle area? Not the question mark area??

Certainly they weren’t looking at anchoring in the cable area...

I’m lost here.

OP: what were your intentions?

PS: looking at his chart again, one thing I would be a little put off by is the fact that there is a huge channel running north and south. The main channel. You can see a red marker for it in his screenshot. So everyone using that channel will be cutting through the 9-10ft flat is they are coming from the East. By “everyone “ I mean 80ft sport fishers throwing a wake the size of a tidal wave and drunken people not paying attention our for the day. My personal strategy is to definitely anchor wherever I want, like the OP is looking at, but ALWAYS hidden behind a natural structure (like rocks or a reef) that prevents anyone not paying attention from hitting me. If there are no rocks to the east of the 9-10ft flat area, this is too dangerous a spot to anchor in my opinion. We need multiple views of the chart at different zooms to actually make a real judgement. In my first post, I assumed the OP had already looked at all the other details and wanted to anchor where the question mark is.

Tags
anchor, new york