Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2017, 14:54   #1

Boat: Hunter 44DS
Camden Haven courtesy Moorings

I was just checking on my Navionics charts for our planned trip north soon and noticed that someone had put on the charts that there are two courtesy Moorings now at Camden Haven at the RSL club can anyone confirm this as it is 2 years since I’ve been up there and they weren’t there last time I was there. I had the unfortunate experience of having my chain wrapped around our keel in that river last time we were there. cheers
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 15:35   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Camden Haven courtesy Moorings

Yes, those mooring were there as of July of this year. And very welcome, too! There are also two in Forster Tuncurry, just short of the highway bridge. Unfortunately as of that time one of the two was in such shallow water as to be kinda useless for yachts with keels. Perhaps it was dragged there... surely not even Maritime would position a mooring so badly????

I have heard that they have reinstated the two in Coffs Harbour as well, but not verified personally.

Jim
Old 25-10-2017, 18:04   #3

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Thanks for that info Jim
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 00:29   #4

Yep, the two moorings are back in Coffs. There's three new public moorings in Port Macquarie too, right in front of the big jetty.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:00   #5

Boat: 45ft Leopard cat

Too shallow? Great for cats, though! There's a visitor's mooring off Shoal Bay in Port Stephens that's so shallow we could hear the seagrass swishing against the hulls at low tide.
Big Macca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:50   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Macca View Post
Too shallow? Great for cats, though! There's a visitor's mooring off Shoal Bay in Port Stephens that's so shallow we could hear the seagrass swishing against the hulls at low tide.
Well, I did say "keel boats" or such! But really, even though there are some boats (cats or centerboarders) which can utilize that mooring, it's kinda a bad usage of public funds to not put the mooring where all can safely use it. There's no advantage to anyone to put it where it is now.

And last time I checked, one (maybe two) of the three moorings off Nelson Head in Pt. Stephens was also in pretty close to the beach and in shallow water.

And while I have my whinger's hat on, folks seem to view them as long term solutions to their mooring problems, and stay on them for days on end. Now in Towlers bay and the two courtesy (24hour) moorings have been occupied by the same two boats for the three days that I have been here (anchored), and no sign of departure.

Jim
Old 26-10-2017, 17:47   #7

Boat: 45ft Leopard cat

Absolutely agree about the public mooring "residents". Very frustrating. It gets particularly bad in NSW at this time of year. By Christmas many moorings will have rafts of three and even four sizeable boats, usually stinkboats.
Big Macca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 02:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
I was just checking on my Navionics charts for our planned trip north soon and noticed that someone had put on the charts that there are two courtesy Moorings now at Camden Haven at the RSL club can anyone confirm this as it is 2 years since I’ve been up there and they weren’t there last time I was there. I had the unfortunate experience of having my chain wrapped around our keel in that river last time we were there. cheers
They were there October 2016 and from memory there was an emergency mooring as well.
Jim Tippett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring