Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2015, 12:56   #61

Re: C-22 on the Great Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I think jack lines might be a mistake on this boat. Your tether has to be short enough to keep you from going over the side which would be difficult in a boat this small. Being drug along side a moving boat is much worse than falling overboard.
They would both suck if you're miles from nowhere.

You raise a valid point, though. I have used jacklines on our small boat, but there were two of us aboard. So, let me amend the suggestion: instead of traditional jacklines, one solid clip point by the companionway, that won't permit you to go over when in the cockpit, and another clip point in front of the mast, again such that you can't go overboard?

I'm probably moving into overkill territory maybe it's enough to just advise the OP to never ever pee off the stern when half awake.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 13:16   #62

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

I think that many of the suggestions for carrying extra repair parts are unnecessary. Your proposed route is going to be close to land and civilization. It may be more expensive to pay for a repair than to do it yourself BUT the cost of having the extra parts and manuals for repairs of things that don't break will probably be more. Get an unlimited towing policy, better than the $50 basic because almost everything will be much more than $50. You will probably never be more than towing distance from a mechanic and/or a parts house.

In my C22 I mounted a swing single burner stove that I bought from West Marine in 1973 (but is not shown on their present online catalog). It was like a single burner Primus stove using a GAZ canister, and it was swivle mounted between the windows over the table. If you can find one that'd be ideal for heating things while underway. I used a Coleman camp stove while at anchor or docked.
My 1:00 appointment is here.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 13:28   #63

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
They would both suck if you're miles from nowhere.

You raise a valid point, though. I have used jacklines on our small boat, but there were two of us aboard. So, let me amend the suggestion: instead of traditional jacklines, one solid clip point by the companionway, that won't permit you to go over when in the cockpit, and another clip point in front of the mast, again such that you can't go overboard?

I'm probably moving into overkill territory maybe it's enough to just advise the OP to never ever pee off the stern when half awake.
Having 2 people on board does not help. There was a thread last week I think about a woman who could not get her husband back on board when he was being drug by a tether hooked to a jack line. I think that for coastal cruising & specifically the great loop falling overboard would be very survivable.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 13:35   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I think that for coastal cruising & specifically the great loop falling overboard would be very survivable.
Well, sure you'd think that - you're in Florida. Fall overboard... walk to shore.

(I kid, I kid)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 13:58   #65

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrabtree View Post
I think that many of the suggestions for carrying extra repair parts are unnecessary. Your proposed route is going to be close to land and civilization. It may be more expensive to pay for a repair than to do it yourself BUT the cost of having the extra parts and manuals for repairs of things that don't break will probably be more. Get an unlimited towing policy, better than the $50 basic because almost everything will be much more than $50. You will probably never be more than towing distance from a mechanic and/or a parts house.

In my C22 I mounted a swing single burner stove that I bought from West Marine in 1973 (but is not shown on their present online catalog). It was like a single burner Primus stove using a GAZ canister, and it was swivle mounted between the windows over the table. If you can find one that'd be ideal for heating things while underway. I used a Coleman camp stove while at anchor or docked.
My 1:00 appointment is here.
Actually the parts I'm recommending, except for a spare prop, will all fit in a small baggie & the repair manual can be on a disc. Carrying a spare prop for a trip this long is really a no-brainer.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 17:57   #66

I think jack lines and a large spare parts locker on a Catalina 22 might be a little impractical.

You'll be doing well to find somewhere to put your shoes.

What part of the voyage would these jacklines be in use for?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 19:50   #67

With the electrical things you plan to bring, as noted on page 4, I believe that a solid electrical system should be considered a priority. You don't have charging from your engine, so either plugging in or solar is what you'll need.

Therefore, consider adding a second battery, but a battery switch is unnecessary and wrong anyway - you want the larger house bank, period.

Suggestions that a larger house bank (i.e., two batteries instead of one) makes it harder to charge are completely wrong.

Given the SAME DAILY DRAW it will take no longer to charge a larger house bank that a single battery.

In fact, you'll be able to go twice as long between charges.

You may want to consider doing some more research on electrical systems, if you want more info Charlie Wing's book is pretty good.

When it comes to batteries, even on a C22, more is better.

Sounds like you're headin' in the right direction, in more ways than one.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote