Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2021, 15:15   #1

Best Place to Live Board on $1M USD?

Hola~ So, I’m 54, have no debt, and just North of a Million US in the bank. Been researching — Costa Rica, Panama, Belize, Spain, Portugal, etc. as Ex-Pat retirement destinations, but there’s little out there on the ‘Internet’s’ about using someplace as a Live Aboard hub...don’t need much, save some decent medical options, and a reasonable airport...would prefer The Western Hemisphere, so I can fly my daughters out once in a while...any insight BASED on actual EXPERIENCE?! ❤️��⛵️
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 15:50   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Best Place to Live Board on $1M USD?

You can live well on that in Cuba or parts of the DR for a while. Not many other options unless you go back to work.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 16:04   #3
Deep Water Deliveries

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best Place to Live Board on $1M USD?

Well I would discount the EU countries unless you are prepared to go for residency or citizenship.
I would suggest the Windward Islands are best as each country is just a daysail away and easily reached by air.

Born to be Wild.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 16:06   #4

Really? Wow...please elaborate on you’re experience. Wherehave you lived as a live aboard, why $54k a year didn’t work, what you might have found challenging about the locations mentioned in the post...I’m all ears! Thanks!
Old 02-05-2021, 16:16   #5

This seems like a weird response. Have you lived in Cuba?! Pretty sure they’re not an option...I’d love to hear more details! Thanks!
Old 02-05-2021, 16:24   #6

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

I always think Guatemala would fit our bill for the same desired purpose
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 16:37   #7
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 410

You can live almost anywhere with $1m
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 16:47   #8

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King Fishy View Post
Hola~ So, I’m 54, have no debt, and just North of a Million US in the bank. Been researching — Costa Rica, Panama, Belize, Spain, Portugal, etc. as Ex-Pat retirement destinations, but there’s little out there on the ‘Internet’s’ about using someplace as a Live Aboard hub...don’t need much, save some decent medical options, and a reasonable airport...would prefer The Western Hemisphere, so I can fly my daughters out once in a while...any insight BASED on actual EXPERIENCE?! ❤️��⛵️
Your post is unclear.

Do you have your boat already, and now just want suggestions, or do you need to buy a boat first, and then outfit it for your expected lifestyle.

Do you have any health conditions that suggest a shorter than actuarially expected lifespan. How is your capital invested? Fixed income or speculative positions? Risk tolerance?
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 17:45   #9

I own a capable boat free & clear, and am currently a live aboard- just tired of the East Coast winters & expensive US culture & wondering where others have found success. You read all kinds of stuff about retirement overseas, but it’s all based on apartment living—just looking for some insight specifically towards sailing/ live aboards, from those who can speak from experience.
Old 02-05-2021, 17:49   #10

No offense, but this is not a question about my investing strategy- ok- $55k US income per year net...any insight?
Old 02-05-2021, 17:52   #11

Pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean. Lovely weather, good chandleries, great food and fun and interesting people.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 18:23   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

In your shoes, I'd circle the western caribbean: Panama has easy living in Bocas and Linton, with easy access to the San Blas Islands. Cartagena is an awesome place: I could spend some years going between there and Panama whenever my visa in one place ran out.
Providencia is a nice stopover on your way from Cartagena to the Honduras Bay Islands, from which the Rio Dulce is easily accessible. When it's not hurricane season, Isla Mujeres and Cozumel, Mexico, are great hangs.
I'd be inclined to go back and forth between those places until maybe one tickled my fancy so much that I swallowed the anchor and bought a thatched cottage near the beach.
Old 02-05-2021, 18:30   #13

[QUOTE=Benz;3399496]In your shoes, I'd circle the western caribbean: Panama has easy living in Bocas and Linton, with easy access to the San Blas Islands. Cartagena is an awesome place: I could spend some years going between there and Panama whenever my visa in one place ran out.
Providencia is a nice stopover on your way from Cartagena to the Honduras Bay Islands, from which the Rio Dulce is easily accessible. When it's not hurricane season, Isla Mujeres and Cozumel, Mexico, are great hangs.
I'd be inclined to go back and forth between those places until maybe one tickled my fancy so much that I swallowed the anchor and bought a thatched cottage near the beach.

I am sincerely grateful for a genuine response- THANK YOU! I’m just curious as to others experiences- not looking for snarky comments. Has anyone lived aboard in Costa Rica, or Belize? looks to fit the bill....
Old 02-05-2021, 18:39   #14

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King Fishy View Post
No offense, but this is not a question about my investing strategy- ok- $55k US income per year net...any insight?
I asked about your investment strategy, because in my mind, if you have a normal life expectancy, retiring in your mid-50’s with only a million dollars seems to be inadequate. Boat bucks can flow very easily, and living on dog food in your 70’s wouldn’t be appealing to me.
Maybe you could live on the Seine in Paris for a change of scenery. How ‘bout the Thames in London? Venice?
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 18:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
I asked about your investment strategy, because in my mind, if you have a normal life expectancy, retiring in your mid-50’s with only a million dollars seems to be inadequate. Boat bucks can flow very easily, and living on dog food in your 70’s wouldn’t be appealing to me.
Maybe you could live on the Seine in Paris for a change of scenery. How ‘bout the Thames in London? Venice?
Yeah- I hear Paris & London are cheap living at its best...$1M US = $55k net per annum- anyone else have any serious insight?! My mistake for posting here & seeking realistic guidance I suppose. Geez!