Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2019, 14:53   #1

Bahamas

New to the Forum . Need advice on keeping the boat in Bahamas full time. I am close to buying a leopard 43 Power Catamaran to primarily go to Bahamas from South East Florida . The rates at say Marsh Harbor Abaco look attractive as compared to South East Florida . By keeping the boat in Marsh Harbor I save on Gas too . I am not much of a cruiser . Intend to use my boat to live on 2-3 weeks at a time . Need Pros and Cons of doing this . Thanks
JasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 15:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Bahamas

Don't know the details off the top of my head but at some point you will run into a red tape limit on how long you can keep the boat there without formally importing it to the Bahamas, paying duty and dealing with Bahamian registration. That's pretty much the case with most other countries as well.

Also the Bahamas are considering a change in the cruising fees. Current costs are $300 for a boat larger than 30' with no time limit specified. Proposal to charge based on size and length of stay. I've seen $4000/year mentioned for larger boats.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 15:41   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

skipmac is correct about current red tape; think it may be more than a year. As for changes they have not been set in stone yet but seems like they are headed towards costing about the same for boats under 70 feet but only for a shorter time period and not allowing as many multiple entries for the 90 day period you can stay.

Bottom line is situation is in flux. I would worry about leaving the boat there for hurricane season.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 16:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I would worry about leaving the boat there for hurricane season.

Another major concern. Of course you have similar odds of a hurricane in FL.
Old 26-08-2019, 20:26   #5

Thanks skipmac snd tomfl for your input . I see your concerns . My intention is to keep the boat in Marsh Harbor Dec-June and in Sarasota Bay Mooring field rest of the time . Hurricane and severe thunderstorms are a concern . If that hits then I guess I will have to take care of my boat like everyone else .
JasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 02:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, JasC.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 09:28   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasC View Post
Thanks skipmac snd tomfl for your input . I see your concerns . My intention is to keep the boat in Marsh Harbor Dec-June and in Sarasota Bay Mooring field rest of the time . Hurricane and severe thunderstorms are a concern . If that hits then I guess I will have to take care of my boat like everyone else .

Hurricanes are just part of Florida boating. I've been doing it for over 40 years and just deal with it if/when it happens. If I recall I've only had to prep boats three times for hurricanes and so far (knock on wood) haven't suffered any serious damages.
Old 27-08-2019, 10:00   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hurricanes are just part of Florida boating. I've been doing it for over 40 years and just deal with it if/when it happens. If I recall I've only had to prep boats three times for hurricanes and so far (knock on wood) haven't suffered any serious damages.

We have only been on this boat for five years total, and in those five years I’ve prepped three times, and rode out two near misses.
If we had stayed in our original Marina, the boat May have been destroyed as no boat in the Marina survived Michael apparently.
However I would not have rode out one there either, but at anchor.

The difference in being in Fl for a hurricane as opposed to the Bahamas is first it’s easier to be better protected in Fl. And if there are damages, easier to get them repaired.
I only saw one boat being surveyed in the Bahamas and they had to fly in the surveyor from Fl.
The Bahamas are so close to Fl. Especially for a Power boat that ought to make over 10 kts that I just couldn’t bring myself to leave one in the Bahamas during hurricane season myself, just too easy to bring it to Fl and put it on the hard.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasC View Post
New to the Forum . Need advice on keeping the boat in Bahamas full time. I am close to buying a leopard 43 Power Catamaran to primarily go to Bahamas from South East Florida . The rates at say Marsh Harbor Abaco look attractive as compared to South East Florida . By keeping the boat in Marsh Harbor I save on Gas too . I am not much of a cruiser . Intend to use my boat to live on 2-3 weeks at a time . Need Pros and Cons of doing this . Thanks
I think the Cons are pretty evident at this point.

Tags
Bahamas