Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 11:47   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Advice on locations for PNW Memorial weekend trip(based out of Everett)

Hey everyone!

Memorial day is approaching us in just under 2 months. The girlfriend and I are planning to do a weekend trip over this holiday. This will be our FIRST weekend getaway aboard the boat(and the first trip in the pacific northwest, and the first trip for the GF aboard, and the first overnight trip I've had in about 9 years). We are a bit flexible on the days, however since memorial day falls on a Monday, we are planning to head out Saturday and return on Monday.

Our boat is located in Port of Everett, and since this is our first one in the area, we figured somewhere relatively close would be a good start for us.

I know the Puget Sound has some pretty strong tides, so we will have to account for this(recommendations on readings regarding tides/currents are welcome), however, I have been trying to figure out possible places for us.

We are sailing a Bristol 27ft, a full keel with 4ft of draft. We have a 15hp outboard on a mount hung from the stern.

We also have a dinghy, so we aren't looking for marina, rather either a mooring ball or a place we can drop the hook.

I was thinking depending on the wind direction, we could shoot for Elger Bay, or Honeymoon Bay if we have/expect southerly winds. I was also thinking about Cresant harbor, Penn Cove or possibly Utsalady depending on weather.

We are open to suggestions, since its our first trip, we'd like to be able to make it to anchor prior to sunset, even if we have to motor the whole way.

As for anchoring, we have a few fortress's that are quite old. The chain we have also is in need of replacing(15ft) and we have about 300ft of rope rode. I'm not sure how much chain our boat can handle in the bow, however I was hoping to get atleast 100ft of chain and keep 300ft of rode. Does anyone have any recommendations on rode/chain combo's that work well in the PNW? What about anchor styles? Seems like most of the boats in our marina either have CQR or Fortress styles on their bow rollers.

Living in the Fiji island's, we always ran Fortress style anchors, so i have the most experience with them, however I'm curious to know how they work up here? Since we are in need of a new anchor due to these having corrosion, Now seems to be the time we should be getting one that will do well in the PNW.

We also lack a windless so hauling it up will be done by hand. I thought about adding a windless, but I'm too cheap and it seems like money can be spent else where ot make life more enjoyable(solar/wind/bigger battery bank).

Open to any and all suggestions that may come to your mind for a fellow noobie of the area!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 13:10   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Advice on locations for PNW Memorial weekend trip(based out of Everett)

A couple of additional places to add to your list of possibilities: Langley on Whidbey, Port Madison on Bainbridge and Matt Matts Lagoon on the Olympic Peninsular.

There are a lot of anchor threads on CF. Suggest you search and read a few of those. If you are buying a new anchor, then the newer generation anchors do actually work better. A 100 feet of chain would be nice, but that's a lot to bring up by hand.
Old 07-04-2016, 14:08   #3

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
A couple of additional places to add to your list of possibilities: Langley on Whidbey, Port Madison on Bainbridge and Matt Matts Lagoon on the Olympic Peninsular.

There are a lot of anchor threads on CF. Suggest you search and read a few of those. If you are buying a new anchor, then the newer generation anchors do actually work better. A 100 feet of chain would be nice, but that's a lot to bring up by hand.

Thanks for the quick suggestions on additional places! I'll add those to the research list for me to go over!

I was thinking 100ft of chain would be a lot to pull. I haven't had time to read some of the more indepth anchor threads, but i've been thinking about possibly switching/upgrading to a Mantus 25lb or 35lb. Thanks for the suggestions though!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:18   #4

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Port Townsend can be a nice place to visit. Lots of boats anchor out in front of the town - directly across from the old town or farther towards the end of the bay by the main marina. The old town is fun to visit - shops, bars, restaurants, and has a good "ambience". It will be crowded with tourists all summer. The ferries are coming in and out constantly but they don't put out too much wake. The biggest issue there is if the wind really picks up as it is not protected from several points. Boats have been known to drag there once in a while. Lots of folks go there though. The Port Hudson marina is a nice little marina too. The anchorage itself is wide open and not cozy though.

You could go up to the San Juans but that would be quite a trip for the short time you have.

I have never really cruised in your area so am not really familiar with other spots. Whitby Island, as noted by the other poster, is definitely a good place to consider. And directly across the Sound there are several places. You should check with those around your marina. I'm sure they would have more ideas.

You will probably be fine with your anchor and rode. 50' of chain is nice to protect against chafe. I would recommend you look for an anchorage where the depth is low so you don't have to put out a lot of rode. But do put out adequate scope - more if the anchorage could get windy/choppy. Look for an anchorage that doesn't have a lot of fetch coming to it. Winds and waves can really build in the Sound and it wouldn't be a fun way to start your girlfriend out sailing with a rocking and rolling boat, or one that is stretched tight on the rode. Pick something cozy (which is contrary to my Port Townsend thought).
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote