Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2019, 07:54   #46

Re: Why is it So Cold Right Now? (Polar Vortex)

This is just the normal temperature patterns that are created by the normal 400 year minimum output solar cycle. Look back at the maps of the Ice Age and you will see that there was no mile thick glacier along the west coast all the way into Alaska ! Another thing you're not seeing in the Media is that the exact same thing is happening in northern Europe. These are the coldest temperatures you's have seen in century's and you still have your head's stuck in the sand by believing in the "Global Warming" Hoax ! Just wait and see how cold it is going to be next winter. This Solar Minimum is just getting started. In Shakespears day the Thames river froze over 50 years in a row and they have paintings of having Carnivals on the Thames. It's all true. Get ready for the coming crop losses. Last nights news reported P.E.I had to import potatoes because last year was too cold to grow potatoes. Alligators down southern US with their snouts frozen in the ice just breathing slow until the water thawed out.Yes it's happening and there's nothing you can do about it. It's going to be every man for himself in a few short years ! I wish you sheep would wake up and smell the coffee and do some research on your own instead of eating up all the rubbish off the TV Fake News !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 09:42   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I see the usual bunch have shown up with their usual arguments of global warming denial.

Those who think that a warmer earth will improve food production might take a look at Australia. Australia is a continent that may very soon become uninhabitable because of extreme weather events. Look at the German crop failures last fall. Or the Canadian loss of potato harvest. Increasing drought in the American plains. Floods, fires, landslides not just in California but right up the whole west coast of North America, Spain, Germany, France, Greece, Turkey, Sweden, Russia and of course Australia, just to name a few places.

And then of course there are the scientists. Remember them?
https://www.scientistswarning.org/

Then of course there is this little pain in the a$$.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...=.c855ecdc9085
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 09:52   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I see the usual bunch have shown up with their usual arguments of global warming denial.

Those who think that a warmer earth will improve food production might take a look at Australia. Australia is a continent that may very soon become uninhabitable because of extreme weather events. Look at the German crop failures last fall. Or the Canadian loss of potato harvest. Increasing drought in the American plains. Floods, fires, landslides not just in California but right up the whole west coast of North America, Spain, Germany, France, Greece, Turkey, Sweden, Russia and of course Australia, just to name a few places.

In truth, in twelve years, climate change eill extinguish all living life on the planet. The smartest bartender in the workd says so.
Old 31-01-2019, 10:15   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

I'm here now.
Old 31-01-2019, 10:19   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
it's called "extreme weather" now. covers anything and everything. it's always the biggest and baddest storm ever !! and all of them have names now. more fodder for the alarmists i guess
actually the reason for naming them is due to pressure from the insurance industry .
Many home policies have a disclaimer that they don't cover damages from a named storm without a specific rider being purchased.

Just like all of it its about the money.
Old 31-01-2019, 10:22   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's a temperature graphic that should look familiar.
Polar view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180503-111311.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	184850  
Old 31-01-2019, 10:47   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
actually the reason for naming them is due to pressure from the insurance industry .
Many home policies have a disclaimer that they don't cover damages from a named storm without a specific rider being purchased.
Just like all of it its about the money.
More bull patootie!
“A named tropical storm or hurricane means a storm system that has been identified and named a ( (Superstorm Sandy, Hurricane Irene, etc) tropical storm or hurricane by the National Hurricane Center of the National Weather Service. For purposes of this exclusion the duration of such a tropical storm or hurricane shall be deemed to include the period during which the tropical storm or hurricane conditions exist, and the 72 hours following the termination of the final tropical storm or hurricane watch or warning issued by the National Hurricane Center of the National Weather Service, with respect to such system.”
*As insurance policies may vary, please check your own policy for language specific to your covered property.
A polar vortex is NEITHER a "named" storm, nor a tropical storm nor hurricane, for insurance (nor any other) purposes.
Not even a good try.
"That is not only not right, it is not even wrong!" ~ Wolfgang Pauli, who used the phrase in the form "Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 11:17   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
More bull patootie!
“A named tropical storm or hurricane means a storm system that has been identified and named a ( (Superstorm Sandy, Hurricane Irene, etc) tropical storm or hurricane by the National Hurricane Center of the National Weather Service. For purposes of this exclusion the duration of such a tropical storm or hurricane shall be deemed to include the period during which the tropical storm or hurricane conditions exist, and the 72 hours following the termination of the final tropical storm or hurricane watch or warning issued by the National Hurricane Center of the National Weather Service, with respect to such system.”
*As insurance policies may vary, please check your own policy for language specific to your covered property.
A polar vortex is NEITHER a "named" storm, nor a tropical storm nor hurricane, for insurance (nor any other) purposes.
Not even a good try.
"That is not only not right, it is not even wrong!" ~ Wolfgang Pauli, who used the phrase in the form "Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!
I should have specified winter events.
correct the polar vortex in and of itself is not named however the snow events that come with it are increasingly being officially named . ( this does not apply just to a vortex event)
Old 31-01-2019, 11:19   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
In truth, in twelve years, climate change eill extinguish all living life on the planet. The smartest bartender in the workd says so.
I bet he can spell too.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 11:21   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I bet he can spell too.
I wouldn't be to sure about wether she could or not considering her numerous basic math errors.
Old 31-01-2019, 11:37   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I should have specified winter events.
correct the polar vortex in and of itself is not named however the snow events that come with it are increasingly being officially named...
You should have refrained from posting nonsense.

The following are examples of home insurance exclusions from the Insurance Bureau of Canada, however all policies are subjected to different terms, conditions and limits:
Destruction resulting from wear and tear, rust, corrosion or gradual deterioration.
Water damage caused by flooding, underground water or water that enters through leaking foundations.
Results of freezing of indoor plumbing. Note: Familiarize yourself with your policy requirements before leaving home during the cold winter months. You must drain your plumbing or have a competent individual inspect your home over the winter. Depending on your home policy, you will be covered for damage if you meet your policy requirements.
Exterior home damage resulting from the freezing, melting or moving of snow or ice and heaving frost.
Damage from landslides and other forms of earth movement.
Injury from insects and rodents
Intentional or criminal acts.
Does NOT include snow events, named (by the Weather Chanel) or otherwise.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and the National Weather Service (NWS) have stated that they would NOT be naming winter storms, and have asked others to refrain from doing so.

However, from weather.com ➥ https://weather.com/news/news/scienc...annel-20140121

Why Naming Winter Storms Makes No Sense ➥ https://www.decodedscience.org/namin...-systems/56936

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 11:49   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You should have refrained from posting nonsense.

The following are examples of home insurance exclusions from the Insurance Bureau of Canada, however all policies are subjected to different terms, conditions and limits:
Destruction resulting from wear and tear, rust, corrosion or gradual deterioration.
Water damage caused by flooding, underground water or water that enters through leaking foundations.
Results of freezing of indoor plumbing. Note: Familiarize yourself with your policy requirements before leaving home during the cold winter months. You must drain your plumbing or have a competent individual inspect your home over the winter. Depending on your home policy, you will be covered for damage if you meet your policy requirements.
Exterior home damage resulting from the freezing, melting or moving of snow or ice and heaving frost.
Damage from landslides and other forms of earth movement.
Injury from insects and rodents
Intentional or criminal acts.
Does NOT include snow events, named (by the Weather Chanel) or otherwise.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and the National Weather Service (NWS) have stated that they would NOT be naming winter storms, and have asked others to refrain from doing so.

However, from weather.com ➥ https://weather.com/news/news/scienc...annel-20140121

Why Naming Winter Storms Makes No Sense ➥ https://www.decodedscience.org/namin...-systems/56936
hence they started naming them in Ernest in the winter of 15-16 after these articles were written
Old 31-01-2019, 15:08   #58

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:

Those who think that a warmer earth will improve food production might take a look at Australia. Australia is a continent that may very soon become uninhabitable because of extreme weather events. Look at ...

Can I come live at your place if this happens?

Oh yeah, and you are aware Australia is, for a good part, desert?

Published 1908 by Dorothea Mackellar

Quote:
The love of field and coppice
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know, but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die

But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,

Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze ...

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand
though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 15:17   #59

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
What "objectives" did the 70s scientists have? Parka sales? (Science studies stuff then tells us about it; I wasn't aware that they had "objectives" too. Huh.)

The objective of organized anti-CC opposition is to block any significant action on climate change, and they've done their job very well. So, in 40 years, there will probably be more of the predicted harms from CC, some "adaptation" by those who can afford to adapt, but probably no major economic changes. CF will still host this debate in some form. So you can check back then.

No, you and your ilk have done the job very well by continuing to participate in a consumer driven society; including the consumption of fossil fuels directly and indirectly.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 15:50   #60

I think everyone is wrong.. It can't be cold because of global warming.. So not sure of all this talk about cold.. LOL
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote