Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 18:00   #1

Weather gear for Caribbean sailing .

Any recommendations regarding jacket, trousers and boots to sail ( race ) 600 miles in the Caribbean- February.
Thank you!!!
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 13:39   #2

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
Re: Weather gear for Caribbean sailing .

I use either a dingy Magic Marine smock or my lightweight breathable jacket.
If it poors, I put on my HH HP foil pants but it would need to be a real downpour.
In February you can expect scattered showers, mostly in the evening or early morning.

For racing I would consider using a Salopette depending on the boat you sail and if the deck gets sprayed.

I have never had to use boots. Just my Merrell mesh shoes dry up really fast.
Boots might get pretty warm and funky smelling in the Caribbeans.

Good full brim hat, and good polarized sunglasses are a must.

I hate sunscreen so I use a Buff UV neck/headband on my face.

Happy sailing and racing.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 13:58   #3

As Flagman alludes you will probably want to spend more thought on sun protection than on "warm and dry" gear.

But soooo much depends on the boat.

You mention racing, if you'll be sitting out on the rail on a fast boat going to weather, or out on the pointy end doing hanked on head sail changes, you will want something to keep you reliably dry. Any idiot can get cold and wet, even in the Caribbean. You are not likely to die from hypothermia, even in February, but 5 days straight of salt water wet is not my idea of a good time.

On the other hand, on our cruising boat we spend our time in the cockpit under the dodger. I think I have pulled out my foulies twice in 20,000 miles.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 14:42   #4

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I would definitely recommend a foul weather jacket. Something easy to take on and off. When the rain stops, you'll get hot in no time. I can't imagine needing boots. More flip flops and maybe a pair of slip on shoes that dry fast. We use West Marine stuff: Hey it's $100 right now. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...cket--18058057. I have the bib pants as well, but I would consider these optional.
Old 07-01-2019, 20:32   #5

Weather gear for Caribbean sailing .

Excellent recommendations!!! Thank you
Old 08-01-2019, 04:28   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

You plan to crew in the Caribbean 600 right?

If so, the route is entirely in the E Carib, so I second much of the recommendations above. I havent worn foul weather pants or boots while sailing while sailing in almost 20 years in the tropics. I do sometimes wear my heavier offshore jacket if its rainy and cool on a night watch. I also have a little synthetic fleece watch cap if it gets cool in the wee hours on watch. However, the most I normally wear is a light spray jacket and sliders or barefeet (not recommended, but normal for me...however, for racing, you will want good traction and support...so bring appropriate foot wear).

It is scheduled in Feb, so you could get a cold front. With that in mind, I suggest lightweight raingear, including pants, and a watch cap. These will keep you warm and dry if it gets chilly/rainy due to a cold front...and you can always wear less of the gear. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:38   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

If you are racing you’ll definitely want foot gear, not so much for traction as for toe protection. When racing you’re often scrambling around in a hurry and that’s when toes meet immovable objects.

Focus on sun protection. You may think “oh I feel fine” but three hours in the sun and wind and you’ll feel like you were hit by a truck later in the day. Long sleeve sun shirt at the very least and a wide brimmed hat.
Old 18-01-2019, 20:37   #8

Excellent recommendations. Thank you.

Tags
Caribbean, gear, rib, sail, sailing, weather