Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2015, 09:30   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tropical Cyclones Hurricanes Typhoons : Amazing Graphic!

Tropical Cyclone Storm Hurricane Typhoon Historical Tracks

I want to share with my fellow sailors one of the most interesting animated graphics I have seen. It is newly published and shows the historical tracks of the tropical cyclones (Hurricanes and Typhoons) for the last 65 year on an animated rotating globe. It is very interesting.

My Suggestions:
  • Note the lack of cyclones in the equatorial regions around the Earth.
  • If you are intending to circumnavigate, notice the likely areas where the cyclones do happen.
  • Note the density of the cyclones off the West coast of Mexico and other areas around the globe.
  • Note the paths of cyclones in the Caribbean and where they have NOT crossed. Note the areas of the globe where the cyclones do not appear.
  • Note the density of the cyclones near the Philippines and Philippine Sea.
  • Go to Facebook, "Like" the NOAA "Science on a Sphere" page there, and enjoy seeing other videos like this that they upload to that page. This is not the first video they have posted that I found fascinating and helpful to see for sailors who hope to sail blue water.
  • Share this video with your sailor friends.

Here is a clip from the NOAA site:

"This dataset shows the paths of all tropical cyclones from 1950 through 2005. Circles represent tropical cyclones, squares represent subtropical cyclones and triangles represent extratropical cyclones. The colors indicate the maximum sustained wind speed with cool colors for slower speeds and warm colors for faster speeds, as indicated by the colorbar. The points are drawn at 6 hour intervals over the life of the storm. When mapped like this, definite patterns in cyclone paths are clear to see. For example, you can see that cyclones typically start near the equator and move away from it toward the poles and they don't cross the equator."

NOAA Page describing the Dataset with links to the animation movie.

Datasets | Science On a Sphere

http://sos.noaa.gov/videos/cumulative_hurricanes.mov

Are you on Facebook?

The NOAA Science on Sphere Facebook page features many different animations (on a globe) and they post a new one frequently. I highly recommend viewing THIS NOAA Facebook page (there are more than one).

The Tropical Cyclone animation (movie) can be seen there and shared from there with your Facebook friends too. I encourage you to "Like" that page to share it with your sailor friends too, and give the NOAA staff some good feedback too. They do respond to questions there and have responded to mine in the past.

Just be aware that if you are going there to look for the Tropical Cyclone video, it may not show up in the first page you see on your screen, just scroll down to look over the many videos they have posted.

https://www.facebook.com/scienceonasphere?pnref=story
Attached Files
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 11:02   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Tropical Cyclones Hurricanes Typhoons : Amazing Graphic!

+1!

With a small adjustment possible here: "... Note the paths of cyclones in the Caribbean and where they do not strike or cross...". Likely meaning "... where they have not crossed ..."

THX for sharing!
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 12:04   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
+1!

With a small adjustment possible here: "... Note the paths of cyclones in the Caribbean and where they do not strike or cross...". Likely meaning "... where they have not crossed ..."

THX for sharing!
b.
I will edit it to correct. You are right. I understand.
Old 29-05-2015, 12:20   #4

Warning: My computer says there is a threat virus in that video link. Didn't see it on the Facebook link though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 15:09   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Warning: My computer says there is a threat virus in that video link. Didn't see it on the Facebook link though.
hi.
I downloaded that video directly from the NOAA site to my mac. My antivirus did not see anything on it. The original links are there if anyone wishes to see it on Facebook or on the NOAA site instead.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:51   #6

Boat: Trisbal 36

For those who want to have look more precisely or without the rotation, this images actually comes off Wikipedia :
File:Global tropical cyclone tracks-edit2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It can be downloaded in up to 8000x4000 resolution.
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:50   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle-isle View Post
For those who want to have look more precisely or without the rotation, this images actually comes off Wikipedia :
File:Global tropical cyclone tracks-edit2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It can be downloaded in up to 8000x4000 resolution.

Thank you for adding that! Very nice to see it as a still photo in detail.

I looked at the still photo, zoomed in to several locations around the world. Very nice to see.

Noteworthy to me, was the way Hawaii has not been hit by many of the Typhoons, it seems to be at the limit of their paths. Also noteworthy to me, the density of the storms off the West coast of Mexico. Talk about "Hurricane Alley!" WOW!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:30   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

Thank you for adding that! Very nice to see it as a still photo in detail.

I looked at the still photo, zoomed in to several locations around the world. Very nice to see.

Noteworthy to me, was the way Hawaii has not been hit by many of the Typhoons, it seems to be at the limit of their paths. Also noteworthy to me, the density of the storms off the West coast of Mexico. Talk about "Hurricane Alley!" WOW!
hawaii may not have been hit by typhoons, per se, but it is hit by hurricanes occasionally, as last year, and possibly again this year.
during el nino years there is more activity in that part of the epac basin.
watch the formations in epac then look out the window, as this is going to be yet another fun year in epac, as there will have been 2 majors formed before first week in june is over, an unusual situation.
read storm 2k.com
then, if you are in epac area, put on yer big kid panties and hunker down. we in for some freeking fun yet again this year.
hoping the big ones remain out at sea, but it looks like we gonna have a time of it this year.
hurricane alley-- has always been so with average of 19 named storms per year sliding up the south west coast of mexico.
you can see latest one in my sksolitarybird group page in fb.
i post for all to see.
you can also see in eebmike weather site.
you can also see in huracanesmx.com

for anyon e uinterested in sailing to hawaii this summer--please pleaseplease watch the formations.
just because not too manhyy get to hawaii doesnt mean the waters between mainland and hawaii are still and allegedly normal. it will be churned up really well yet again this year.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 18:54   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Everybody "knows" about the supposedly free of major storms band. This morning, we were talking to friends who, while in Japan, watched a typhoon form at 4 deg. north, very close indeed to the equator.

What I took from this, is that there is always variation, and we must remain continually vigilant. Look at the good wx sites and prognostications before and then during passages.

Ann
Old 01-06-2015, 19:16   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A new hurricane or typhoon has just formed west of Mexico cat 4, Andres. This is the first of the Pacific season in the eastern Pacific. Can be seen on the NOAA animated globe on the Science on a Sphere Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/scienceonasphere
Old 13-06-2015, 03:36   #11

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Opencpn has had a pluggin called Climatolofy which shows historic cyclones back to when first recorded. Data is from noaa I belive. It allows selection of different filters.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, hurricane