Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2022, 09:48   #1

Boat: Ovni 395
Top end Offshore foul weather gear recommendation

Hi guys,
Long story short, in beginning of the year, I donated all my Musto offshore gear.

So I am now looking for a new good offshore foulies - jacket, trousers and boots. I have all the under-layers already. Planned sailing - Shorthanded in cold bad weather (5 C / 40 F)

I am trying to choose a good offshore jacket, budget 800+- from Musto / HH / HL / Zhik.
They all seem very similar in price.

Anyone can recommend a good one and why?
Please don't recommend PVC fishing gear

Thank you!
xslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 10:03   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Top end Offshore foul weather gear recommendation

I’m a big fan of Mustangs Catalyst gear, warm, tough, can be layered with the bibs (nice days I’ll just wear the bibs) doubles as your PFD and reduces flushing and extends cold water emersion time valuable in cold waters.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 12:09   #3

Can’t recommend the best offshore gear, but I can pass on what happened to my Musto MPX GoreTex jacket....

Bought the jacket new maybe 20 years ago. Seldom wore it offshore, the coat spent probably 98% of its life hanging in a closet. All of the seam sealing tape on the inside of the jacket, ALL OF IT, came loose and peeled off in the last two or three years. The GoreTex fabric is in perfect condition, but without the tape it leaks like a sieve.

I couldn’t believe it, but it took 40’ of iron-on sealing tape to replace what was lost.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 12:37   #4

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

In higher latitudes we prefer our Stormr gear. [not a typo] We prefer their Strykr line.

We also like our Ocean Rodeo Boss drysuits. Worn with one-piece fleece under-layer it makes a survival suit as well.

In case either of these suit your needs like they do ours.

Cheers. Bill
Old 28-07-2022, 12:46   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
Can’t recommend the best offshore gear, but I can pass on what happened to my Musto MPX GoreTex jacket....

Bought the jacket new maybe 20 years ago. Seldom wore it offshore, the coat spent probably 98% of its life hanging in a closet. All of the seam sealing tape on the inside of the jacket, ALL OF IT, came loose and peeled off in the last two or three years. The GoreTex fabric is in perfect condition, but without the tape it leaks like a sieve.

I couldn’t believe it, but it took 40’ of iron-on sealing tape to replace what was lost.
This is typical with all iron on seam taped unfortunately. Peel it off and grab a tube of McNetts seam sealer and brush it on over the seams in place of the tape, this will outlast the fabric. Done this for years in tents, jackets and all outdoor gear.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 16:28   #6

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Well the best I can offer is that I’m still using a set of h I inherited from a buddy who used them daily on the Chesapeake and they look almost new after years is use by both of us
Old 11-11-2022, 15:40   #7

Boat: Ovni 395

Update: I got a good deal on Henry Lloyd GoteTex set, so went with that.
xslim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear, gear, men, offshore, weather