Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2021, 16:34   #1

Ship clock, weather station recommendations?

I have 1970, 9 metre coastal cruising catamaran. My first one so I am on a steep learning curve.
My analog bronze ship clock died so I got a replacement quartz mechanism from Jaycar. That was too slow so I gave up.
I got two analog quartz clocks from Ikea. They were only $4 each. I know why now. Both were too slow again!
So now I was thinking of going with some digital clock which can handle marine environment. Analog LCD display would be better for easy reading in dark?
Something which does not light up the whole room like my fridge display.

Kindle like display would be ideal and if it has weather station/ barometre function, that would be good too.

This is the closest I have found but does not have a barometre.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Franklin-C...19489838&psc=1
Stellar1970Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 16:40   #2

Re: Ship clock, weather station recommendations?

Additionally, I was thinking of learning celestial navigation so an accurate clock like that atomic clock would be great?
I think I put it on a swivel arm so I can view it from helm or on the cabin?
Buying two might be an option but helm one needs to be weatherproof.
Stellar1970Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 17:29   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Digi-Sense has a small, chart table mounted, graphing baro with digital clock for about $130 US. Supposed to be accurate for lab work. It replaced a similar (but better unfortunately) well liked design by another mfg no longer available. It seems to be keeping decent time (no seconds readout) but I bought it for the small, battery powered, graphing baro feature. Had it for about 3 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	896F83F4-7BEF-4194-9F86-8A893777D4EA.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	247507  
ulul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 18:42   #4

Boat: Southerly 480

If you have a GPS, you have a very accurate clock.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 19:09   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

Depends on your goals.

I have a (relatively) inexpensive HAQ watch that I wear pretty much all the time including while swimming and for most scuba diving.

Your cell phone has a barometer in it. There are apps that record and display readings.

If you want wind info you really need something on top of the mast and there are sailing-specific solutions for that.

That leaves temperature. There are plenty of choices though none that are perfect. I do without. Might consider carrying an IR thermometer that can be pointed at a suitable surface that is shaded when you want a reading.
Old 29-10-2021, 03:22   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I bought an inexpensive DCF77 receiver clock mechanism and fitted it to my Vion ships clock. It’s effectively atomic accurate. My Citizen wrist watch has the same system. It’s kinda fun to watch the two second hands sweep in sync.
Old 29-10-2021, 08:55   #7

Boat: DUFOUR 385 GL

Hi

For celestial navigation I use a Casio Wave Captor, it´s cheap and sincronice every night so it´s very accurate.

For weather I use Meteoman from NASA Marine, just go it, it´s like a barograph but electronic. It´s very useful and accurate. I´m waiting for the Navtex reception form the same brand to get latest weather updates. Navtex Pro Plus.
Cachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 09:19   #8

Kinda off the subject but who do you think (manufacturers) makes the best (boat durable) analog boat clocks ie time, tide times , Barometers etc etc. Not seeing many positive reviews . I like the traditional look but with good functionality. Just curious.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 10:17   #9
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellar1970Cat View Post
I have 1970, 9 metre coastal cruising catamaran. My first one so I am on a steep learning curve.
My analog bronze ship clock died so I got a replacement quartz mechanism from Jaycar. That was too slow so I gave up.
I got two analog quartz clocks from Ikea. They were only $4 each. I know why now. Both were too slow again!
So now I was thinking of going with some digital clock which can handle marine environment. Analog LCD display would be better for easy reading in dark?
Something which does not light up the whole room like my fridge display.

Kindle like display would be ideal and if it has weather station/ barometre function, that would be good too.

This is the closest I have found but does not have a barometre.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Franklin-C...19489838&psc=1
An older Garmin handheld GPS will give you the time and barometer in addition to GPS features. Research the models carefully as not all of them have that feature. Try craigslist or ebay for the best price.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 10:24   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp447 View Post
Kinda off the subject but who do you think (manufacturers) makes the best (boat durable) analog boat clocks ie time, tide times , Barometers etc etc. Not seeing many positive reviews . I like the traditional look but with good functionality. Just curious.

I’ve had “ branded “ and no name models and I’d be hard pushed to recommend anything specific under $100 an instrument.

My current set of Vion instruments look good but are quite cheaply made if you dissemble them

The clock in the picture has the DCF77 radio module fitted. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635528226.975477.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	247552
Old 29-10-2021, 13:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellar1970Cat View Post
Additionally, I was thinking of learning celestial navigation so an accurate clock like that atomic clock would be great?
If you need any help with celestial or have any questions, I'd be glad to assist.

I second Cachimba's recommendation of the Casio. I also have a Bulova which is accurate to about 1 minute/year. Quartz watches (as opposed to quartz clocks) tend to be more stable because they are usually kept at a fairly constant temperature by the wearer's wrist. What is really important is rating the timepiece - IOW, finding out exactly how fast or slow it is per day or week. No clock is perfect, but the more constant the rate of error the better. Then it can be easily accounted for, even without reference to a standard.

Regarding radio-updated [a.k.a. "atomic"] clocks/watches, the maximum range at which my Casio will receive a signal is about 3,000 km from the Boulder, CO transmitter and about 1,500 km from the transmitters in China, Japan and Germany. So it probably won't get a signal in the middle of an ocean. YMMV. However, there are watches available now which can receive a time signal anywhere on Earth from GNSS satellites.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 14:16   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

SP said it all.
“Atomic” watches really just update from an external source that has a maximum effective range.

For celestial you need to know the error rate (+/- 5sec/wk or whatever) and know that it is consistent. To measure the error rate you need to have it not update for a month or more and check the error daily. Haven’t owned one so can’t tell you if the update can be turned off.
Also if you leave an update region you need to know when the last update was to know when the error accumulation starts. Don’t know if the watches give you that info.

You can get a real atomic clock on a chip but it will set you back in $5-10k range just for the chip.

I got 3 cheap Casio watches. They live in the sextant box which moderates temperature variation somewhat and I keep a hip pocket notebook in there to track error for each.

Statistically a few quartz watches will have an almost zero error rate. But you would need to buy and check a bunch of watches to find one.

When I shoot I put the watch on the handle at the top so it is at my right hand where I hold the sextant.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 19:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
You can get a real atomic clock on a chip but it will set you back in $5-10k range just for the chip.
There are oxco time and frequency standards that are much cheaper, $1-2k. I have one at work. Accurate to within a second or two a year. ::shrug:: They draw several watts continuously, but so do the Cesium and Rubidium (atomic) standards. Those aren't necessary unless you're trying to get accuracy within milliseconds a year.

Quote:
Statistically a few quartz watches will have an almost zero error rate. But you would need to buy and check a bunch of watches to find one.

There are HAQ watches on the market that are supposed to be accurate +/- 10 seconds a year which is more than good enough for longitude. Available from several makers. My experience and that of others is that they are usually not as accurate as advertised but they are going to be +/- 20 seconds a year if worn consistently. A few hundred $. Mine is a Certina but there are similar watches at similar prices from many other makers.
Old 29-10-2021, 19:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp447 View Post

Chelsea is the only serious maker left. They are expensive. These are essentially nostalgia/decor pieces since functionally you can get the same thing on your phone.
Old 30-10-2021, 14:07   #15

Boat: Norseman 447

The Chelsea mechanical chiming ship's bell clocks are wonderful. Nostalgic. The chimes make you want to run outside and turn over the hour glass at the binnacle. Horribly expensive. I love mine.

Quartz watches do have drift. Either carefully rate one or two, or buy a cheap HF receiver and reset to time signals once a month.

The "atomic clocks" only work right when you’re within range of the 60 kHz time stations. Otherwise, they’re just a quartz clock.

While the internal timing of. GPS receiver is closer than one needs, the displayed time is dependent on the internal software and may be several seconds off.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, weather