Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2018, 21:16   #1

Boat: Nauticat 44 Pilothouse
sewing machine recommendations

I would like to get a heavy duty sewing machine that is portable, I plan to use it aboard the boat, so most commercial machines are out. I currently have a Singer 503A which is all metal and seems to have enough power, but won't accommodate the larger V-96 and V69 threads and also doesn't feed the canvas, so I constantly have to feed it in, which pushes the machine away. I also don't like having to remove threading to wind a bobbin. The sailrite seems too heavy at 49 lbs to be considered portable IMO. I would like all metal, with some torque and power with reverse and zigzag that has a walking foot or feeds well. I mostly plan on canvas and upholstery work although fixing tears in the body of the sail would also be important. Am I dreaming or does such a machine exist?
gardeningal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 22:07   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: sewing machine recommendations

Keep the machine, just use PTFE thread.
It requires practice, a lot of tension and a side feed off the spool preferably with a way to allow the spool to rotate easily. You need a guide so the thread will feed to the machine so it thinks it's coming off the machine's normal spool location (more or less).
Being monofilament, it will make hockles and give you grief if you don't follow the above advise ! It's also relatively expensive, but once you get past the above cons, it's SO WORTH THE EFFORT !

It is of small diameter, but is extremely strong and it never wears out due to air pollution, grit, ozone or UV. You read all that correctly.

I have previously posted about this wonderful stuff and repairing my multihull mats every couple of years with standard sail thread. What a pain.
Then I used Tenara (GoreTex) PTFE thread. That was about ten years ago and it's still as strong and new looking as if I had sewed it yesterday.

We are currently in the process of getting replacement mats from multinullnets.com.
All their sewing uses this wonderful stuff.
The original 1995 mats material is finally failing but all of my ten year old stitching is 100% perfect.

If you DO replace your machine, imho, needle and machine thread diameter limitations are no longer a real problem.
Look more at usable throat size.
There is a Janome large throat with needle up/down which might fill the bill.
Metal construction, decent quality parts and the plastic gears have never shown any problems in my shop. It will wind a bobbin as you sew. No zigzag though. Otherwise a great machine.
$600 new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brother-Sew...ziNA:rk:1:pf:0

If you need z z and a good walking foot, all the above recommendations about the thread still apply.

Imho, if the Sailrite isn't a good fit, you indeed are searching for a Unicorn.

http://www/schmetzneedles.com good stuff about correct needles.

Your machine may benefit from a good tech's touch.
Have the tech crank up the presser foot tension and be sure the feed dogs are set high enough, and not worn smooth. They should have rather sharp edges to the traction surfaces. Easily replaceable.

Steve B. Certified Bernina Sewing Machine Tech

S & J Sewing Machine Services

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 14:27   #3

Boat: Nauticat 44 Pilothouse

Thank you for all the info. Your advise to keep the machine is very helpful, I bought it used from a Sew/vac store, so it had been completely rehabbed. I really haven't used it enough to know it's quirks, but will check the feed dog and presser foot. By hockles, do you mean the tangle that forms underneath the fabric on bobbin side? I had plenty of problem with that until I switched to a smaller caliber thread. I will keep the Tenara in mind, pretty expensive and most of my projects will be inside the cabin.
gardeningal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 17:41   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, gardeningal,

Just another enthusiast for the ptfe thread. It really does what senormechanico says, stays good for 10 yrs., when the old sunbrella may be going, it's still good. It is quite strong, stronger than the UV treated 92 thread by the latter's second year.

I have a SailRite LZ-1, does zigzag, has walking foot, but small throat. I think the Janome with the larger throat would be a huge benefit. We have a friend who's quite happy with his. The walking foot helps a lot when you have many thicknesses. What you choose will depend a lot on what you're wanting to make which fabrics you choose.

Somewhere in CF's archives (use the CF Custom Google Search under the Search menu) there is a discussion of WeatherMax vs. Sunbrella. I have used both. The WeatherMax weighs about half what the Sunbrella does, and WM is polyester, whereas Sunbrella is acrylic. Sunbrella does not have good chafe resistance, because the individual fibers are so short. The dark red WM fades to an ugly color (to me), and I am not happy with it after 2 yrs., as mainsail cover and weather cloths. My last Sunbrella boom bag was still a nice burgundy color at 10 yrs. However, the gray WM, though it does fade and UV degrade, does not go ugly when it fades. Ultimately, you pays your money, and make a trial.

Ann
Old 02-12-2018, 10:11   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

When a thread or line or hose is twisted, it "hockles" forming a loop or loops upon itself.
An excellent example is a the hose on a pressure washer !

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hockle

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 05:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Keep the machine, just use PTFE thread.
It requires practice, a lot of tension and a side feed off the spool preferably with a way to allow the spool to rotate easily. You need a guide so the thread will feed to the machine so it thinks it's coming off the machine's normal spool location (more or less).
Being monofilament, it will make hockles and give you grief if you don't follow the above advise ! It's also relatively expensive, but once you get past the above cons, it's SO WORTH THE EFFORT !

It is of small diameter, but is extremely strong and it never wears out due to air pollution, grit, ozone or UV. You read all that correctly.

I have previously posted about this wonderful stuff and repairing my multihull mats every couple of years with standard sail thread. What a pain.
Then I used Tenara (GoreTex) PTFE thread. That was about ten years ago and it's still as strong and new looking as if I had sewed it yesterday.

We are currently in the process of getting replacement mats from multinullnets.com.
All their sewing uses this wonderful stuff.
The original 1995 mats material is finally failing but all of my ten year old stitching is 100% perfect.

If you DO replace your machine, imho, needle and machine thread diameter limitations are no longer a real problem.
Look more at usable throat size.
There is a Janome large throat with needle up/down which might fill the bill.
Metal construction, decent quality parts and the plastic gears have never shown any problems in my shop. It will wind a bobbin as you sew. No zigzag though. Otherwise a great machine.
$600 new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brother-Sew...ziNA:rk:1:pf:0

If you need z z and a good walking foot, all the above recommendations about the thread still apply.

Imho, if the Sailrite isn't a good fit, you indeed are searching for a Unicorn.

http://www/schmetzneedles.com good stuff about correct needles.

Your machine may benefit from a good tech's touch.
Have the tech crank up the presser foot tension and be sure the feed dogs are set high enough, and not worn smooth. They should have rather sharp edges to the traction surfaces. Easily replaceable.

Steve B. Certified Bernina Sewing Machine Tech

S & J Sewing Machine Services
The information you provide is really very useful and obviously based on experience. Thank you.
housewifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 06:46   #7

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Portability is subjective. We have a Sailrite Sailmaker which, in the case, weighs 80 lbs. I consider it portable because I can take it on deck or to the yacht club for bigger projects, but it is a pain to lift, Usually I put a halyard on it to get it out of the boat and onto a dock cart.

Normally this sits on a set of tracks on my workbench in the forepeak and I use it there, so in that case it it semi permanent. It runs off the inverter and I can use it underway, and I have. I use it for sail repair, sailmaking, canvas work, and odd clothing repairs or patching.

This Sailmaker has been a fantastic machine for us for 30 years. It has lived on the boat all this time and the salt air has produced a bit of rust but not much and nothing which affects its utility. It has zig zag but no walking foot. For sails I think zig zag is important. It is rugged and durable. I can sew through almost anything (excepting the corners of a big sail, and I think a monster wheel would improve that). Best of all it has a big throat and I can get quite large rolled up sails through it. I wish that Sailrite was still making it or an updated version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1417-Fred Sewing.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	468.9 KB
ID:	229399  
Old 26-12-2020, 07:17   #8

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

I have an LZ-1 Sailrite machine, which I bought about 17 years ago and i have a love/hate relationship with it. When it works, I love it, but it has its querks and always has since day one. I have rarely been able to make it through a complete project without having to spend time re-adjusting all the ‘stuff’ down in the bobbin compartment or worse yet having to take it to the repair shop. That machine can make me cuss like a sailor for sure! I personally, would never buy one again if I had it to do over. I am not interested in making my own sails or dodger/bimini ever again. The projects I do need a machine for such as repairs on canvas and new covers for winches, rails, hatches and ports, as well as some upholstery projects can be done on many other machines. I bought a Singer 4423 about 7 years ago to have on the boat for such things and have never been sorry. It has not caused me one minutes problem. I did purchase a walking foot attachment for it and it works like a dream! I know a lot of folks that would say it is too lightweight a machine, but I have put it through a lot. I use V-69 thread with no problems and have found with the right needle and slow and steady speed it will do everything I want it to. But again, I am not making/repairing sails either.

Cindy
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 20:04   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I have had a Sailrite LZ1 for 20 years; it's been GREAT; I've used it to fix sails, repair and build canvas projects, even fix torn blue jeans. I've loaned it to many both ashore and in anchorages; it's seen a LOT of use. Every 5 years or so I have it professionally adjusted but with phone and email help from Sailrite (their support is wonderful) I've been able to keep timing adjusted myself. It's a great machine backed by one of the best companies I've ever seen....
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, sewing machine