Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 08:55   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Preparation Tips for Hurricanes and Storms

Be Prepared for coming Hurricanes and Tropical Storms.

The following links are to threads with tips and videos about preparation you can do prior to a storm.

Hurricane and Tropical Storm Preparation Videos (40+)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ps-173800.html

Tips for Weathering a Storm in a Marina
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...na-171970.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F3FB25D-2095-448B-997A-D623F143E20A.png
Views:	289
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	177086  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:08   #2

Re: Preparation Tips for Hurricanes and Storms

Steadman, you are CF's go to guy for timely posts! Let me use this post to personally Thank You for your contributions to CF since you joined. I read more than I post on CF, but am an 'active reader' , as these days I tend to use a tablet to read vs the old desktop which was easier to type on a real keyboard.

Might I add that folks actually cruising keep a 'cellphone rolladex' of CF members contact info, like mine. So that in the event that they cruise by they have a 'local' to reach out to if need be. Hurricane season on the East Coast is a good example.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:15   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Steadman, you are CF's go to guy for timely posts! Let me use this post to personally Thank You for your contributions to CF since you joined. I read more than I post on CF, but am an 'active reader' , as these days I tend to use a tablet to read vs the old desktop which was easier to type on a real keyboard.

Might I add that folks actually cruising keep a 'cellphone rolladex' of CF members contact info, like mine. So that in the event that they cruise by they have a 'local' to reach out to if need be. Hurricane season on the East Coast is a good example.
Howdy Clamdigger!

Thanks for the positive comment. I truly appreciate it.

And I appreciate the kind offer you made in another thread to help another CF member with some local knowledge on anchorages and mooring for storms that may hit your location.

Your suggestion is a good one too.

If I am sailing to your area in the future, I will put out a shout and perhaps we can have a CF meetup too. I would like to meet more CF members as I visit ports. I have done so before and it was nice to place a face to a name.

Fair Winds!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:59   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

Should spare halyards be setup as backup stays or clipped to the base of the mast or removed completely?

We are in New Bern and currently expecting winds of 25 kts and gusts to 60 kts.

So far we've removed the helm enclosure and the cockpit enclosure, main, stack-pack, and lowered the boom to the traveler. Need to get the jib down when the breeze lets up in the next couple days.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:09   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Should spare halyards be setup as backup stays or clipped to the base of the mast or removed completely?

We are in New Bern and currently expecting winds of 25 kts and gusts to 60 kts.

So far we've removed the helm enclosure and the cockpit enclosure, main, stack-pack, and lowered the boom to the traveler. Need to get the jib down when the breeze lets up in the next couple days.
Having prepped boats for other folks as well as my own, a few tips.

1- make sure insurance is paid

2- strip all canvas. On the FP-s you could leave the bag on the boom, but I would lash the !@# out of it.

3- take the jib off!

3-Spare halyards that come back down internally can be tied off to a cleat or stanchion and tightened

4- Spare halyards that come back down externally should have both ends run to a cleat or stanchion.

5- confirm insurance is paid.

6- double key lines. If you tie up stern-too double at least one spring so she doesn't go under the dock. I re-tie my boat so her bow is about 2' into the fairway to allow more room. After the storm I re-tie her before anyone can get antsy.

7- close all seacocks

8- did you pay the insurance?
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:32   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If in a marina put fenders out, cause you never know.
Dinghy is of course removed, I fill my RIB with water.

Halyards I just attach to stanchion bases as usual, not much windage in a rope.
I leave my panels up, but probably best to remove. Dinghy motor on the rail and everything else removed from the deck, fuel cans etc.

I stay aboard if I can evacuate, cause I believe if your aboard and a line chafes though, you can do something about it, or maybe fend off a neighbors boat etc.
I worry about them more than mine, last year the neighbor knew Irma was coming and did absolutely nothing at all to prepare.
He got a new sailcover and Bimini from Insurence, nice guy, but that ticked me off.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Howdy Clamdigger!

Thanks for the positive comment. I truly appreciate it.

And I appreciate the kind offer you made in another thread to help another CF member with some local knowledge on anchorages and mooring for storms that may hit your location.

Your suggestion is a good one too.

If I am sailing to your area in the future, I will put out a shout and perhaps we can have a CF meetup too. I would like to meet more CF members as I visit ports. I have done so before and it was nice to place a face to a name.

Fair Winds!
Steadmen, I would really enjoy a CF meetup in my area anytime! I am always available to fellow cruisers, as a matter of fact the laundry in walking distance has my notecard up there for the past 12 years inviting any cruisers to call me if they need assistance while in port. I have met in excess of 150 folks from that alone😀 My friend owns the laudry lol!

You are always welcome any time of the year, evenif you need to rack out on the futon for a few days while in transit to your next ride. Train station directly to Newark Airport/NYC is 15 minute ride from the front door, 15 minutes to the harbor in other direction.

You deserve a CF award,imo, for being one of the most helpful members on CF. Say, a nice dinner out when we do finely meetup. You come across as a genuinely nice guy that is an excellent crew member, just wish I still had my cruising boat to have finished a circu!navigation with you as crew!
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:18   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Saw this today...

Stormy Weather Ahead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E29D3EEE-A7D9-4491-8CC1-41DC5F969BA5.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	177094  
Old 09-09-2018, 15:09   #9

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Having prepped boats for other folks as well as my own, a few tips.

1- make sure insurance is paid

2- strip all canvas. On the FP-s you could leave the bag on the boom, but I would lash the !@# out of it.

3- take the jib off!

3-Spare halyards that come back down internally can be tied off to a cleat or stanchion and tightened

4- Spare halyards that come back down externally should have both ends run to a cleat or stanchion.

5- confirm insurance is paid.

6- double key lines. If you tie up stern-too double at least one spring so she doesn't go under the dock. I re-tie my boat so her bow is about 2' into the fairway to allow more room. After the storm I re-tie her before anyone can get antsy.

7- close all seacocks

8- did you pay the insurance?
Insurance is paid, all sails removed, all canvas removed, bimini/dodger stainless removed, all cushions removed.

I have the boom lift and main haylard on the clew-end of the boom, as low as it will go, and pulled to one side with another line. Insurance is paid.

I have the spinnaker halyard attached to starboard forward cleat and pulled taunt, and the jib halyard pulled to the cross bar next to the forestay and pulled taunt.

Insurance is paid.

On Thursday morning I'll close the non-bilge-pump seacocks, check with any neighbors if they need lines or fenders, load anyone in the Jeep that needs a ride, and head for the hills!
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 15:17   #10

Boat: Bristol 27

If you are on a floating dock, consider what could happen if the surge is higher than the pilings that hold the dock.

This is what happened in Pensacola in 2004 with Ivan. The dock and it's remaining boats took out all the anchored boats.

Ivan was a Cat 3/4

No more dock

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cane_Ivan2.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?biw=14...=1536531539904
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 15:20   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Insurance is paid, all sails removed, all canvas removed, bimini/dodger stainless removed, all cushions removed.

I have the boom lift and main haylard on the clew-end of the boom, as low as it will go, and pulled to one side with another line. Insurance is paid.

I have the spinnaker halyard attached to starboard forward cleat and pulled taunt, and the jib halyard pulled to the cross bar next to the forestay and pulled taunt.

Insurance is paid.

On Thursday morning I'll close the non-bilge-pump seacocks, check with any neighbors if they need lines or fenders, load anyone in the Jeep that needs a ride, and head for the hills!

Forgot one thing——— PRAY

Good luck
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 15:22   #12

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

annnnnd don't trust old dock lines - even if they "look good". We ended up doubling up both sets of lines for Irma and buying new lines that were much large diameter. A few of the four-year old dock lines snapped.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 16:58   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Last year we went through Nanny Cay. They had a large dry yard, I didn’t go through it, but looking at it from afar I’d guess maybe half the boats remained standing, a quarter fell over, and another quarter still standing lost their masts. The number of lost masts suprised me.

I obviously don’t know the circumstances, perhaps they had furled head sails, perhaps they were lightly stayed rigs. But it would seem prudent to keep that loss in mind and try to strategize against such a loss. Not entirely sure how one would do that.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 17:31   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

It’s certainly not always possible but we noted in the Caribbean last season that one needed only to recognize your boat was in the storm path and sail preferably south of the track at least 25 miles to be in easily survivable conditions. This does not take but about half a day. With two days warning you can be more than 150 miles away. Barbuda was wiped out, Antigua was fine. We also note that finding a hole in the mangroves is most unlikely due to the numbers of local boats that will be way ahead of you. We do not stay with the boat for hurricane season so the boat gets pampered in Chaguaramos, Trinidad. The best preparation is to get out of the zone, otherwise, be prepared to move well in advance of the predicted track.

We toughen out two hurricanes in 2016 while moving south along the east coast. The worst was in Newport in great protection with winds hitting 48 knots, 175 feet of chain in 11 feet of depth. The eye moved up the coast well to sea fortunately. I can’t imagine riding out a full straight on hit if I could otherwise get away.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:26   #15

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post

7- close all seacocks
Cruisers Forum was a true boat-saver for us during our first ever hurricane prep. (Hurricane Newton 2015) Thanks for that, everyone!

We don't close all seacocks. We leave the seacocks open for the cockpit drains (the rains has to go somewhere) and the bilge pump.

Also, some engine exhausts don't have seacocks because they are above the water line. Find a way to prevent water from getting into your exhaust. I may save your engine from water intrusion in really rough sea surge.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane