Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 09:31   #16

Boat: Norseman 400
Re: Preparation Tips for Hurricanes and Storms

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Last year we went through Nanny Cay. They had a large dry yard, I didn’t go through it, but looking at it from afar I’d guess maybe half the boats remained standing, a quarter fell over, and another quarter still standing lost their masts. The number of lost masts suprised me.

I obviously don’t know the circumstances, perhaps they had furled head sails, perhaps they were lightly stayed rigs. But it would seem prudent to keep that loss in mind and try to strategize against such a loss. Not entirely sure how one would do that.
A significant number of boats in Mexico fell over during Hurricane Newton.It was only a Category 1 at landfall. The boats on the hard were on sand or dirt. The dirt got wet , the stands sunk into the mud, and the boats fell over. Others where the stands didn't fail endured the domino effect.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:33   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Latest Hurricane Image See the date and time on image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0FDB4E4-4710-4C97-AE5E-ED2649144552.png
Views:	161
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	177142  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:47   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
Cruisers Forum was a true boat-saver for us during our first ever hurricane prep. (Hurricane Newton 2015) Thanks for that, everyone!

We don't close all seacocks. We leave the seacocks open for the cockpit drains (the rains has to go somewhere) and the bilge pump.

Also, some engine exhausts don't have seacocks because they are above the water line. Find a way to prevent water from getting into your exhaust. I may save your engine from water intrusion in really rough sea surge.
Seacocks are left open. Certainly a boat-specific decision.
Engine exhausts are above water.
We might need to run the generator or engine.
The cockpit needs to drain.
The bilge pump needs to be enabled
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:12   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I would also like to thank Steadman for this post and others in the past. I have always found them very informative! When we get another hurricane here I will certainly follow those directions! We were fortunate with hurricane Sandy with no damage to our boat, but we are due for another one. Good luck to those in the path!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:51   #20

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

I am in Canada, so we seldom get these violent storms.
But I wish everyone in it's path the very best of luck.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 14:41   #21

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Those in Tropical Australia are at risk from November through to the end of April.

It used to be the end of March---but Planetary Overheating is extending the season and temperatures are higher these days. Never mind. Our pollies want the world to burn more coal--so unless "Campaign Contributions" are outlawed, we can expect Hurricanes, Typhoons, Cyclones or whatever name on e chooses for severe circular tropical storms, are going to be bigger and more frequent occurrences.

Once a Cat 5 storm was considered unlikely. Now it is not uncommon for a storm to reach such wind speeds as to qualify. One destroyed much of New Orleans. here we have been lucky so far.

So--what to do about it if you have the usual week's notice--something early mariners did not get--hence so many shipwrecks in the tropics.

It is the wind, rather than the deluge, likely to cause the most damage. The next most damaging thing one needs to worry about is the tidal surge--which can be sufficient to dislodge anchors, snap cyclone ropes, rip out your deck fittings and lift your vessel out of the shelter of most of the mangroves in which is was less exposed to one much higher, where the wind force can be greater.

What I have done in the past was to use very long ropes, and tie off to substantial mangroves in a sheltered creek with a hill on one side and a bit of a bank on the other. Now all I have to worry about is headwind--and that is less of a problem in a creek because one will get horizontal spray and leaves at high velocity, twigs etc, rather than huge waves. I use long ropes so that, if I were to remain aboard, I would be below decks as much as possible. Long ropes do not need frequent, if any, adjustment for tide or surge.

Everything is taken below, sails bagged and stowed, hatches lashed shut, sliding doors closed and locked, storm shutters fitted over any large areas of glass. These are made easily from heavy plywood, and fitted over the windows using either over-centre lock-downs, bolts, or just lashings and rings. They are to stop flying projectiles breaking your glass and allowing rain at over 100 KPH to come in as if someone shoved a fire hose into your cabin. They will make it dark inside--so LED lamps and a good battery is essential.

Having done all of that--I chose not to remain aboard--and evacuated with my family leaving the boat on its anchors fore and laterally set, long ropes fore and aft, heavy fender-boards alongside the vessel facing the bank and large heavy fenders behind them. My four main ropes are 20 mm nylon, each of them able to hold the boat's entire weight, if the deck fittings would allow it.

I took the tender with me on a trailer, we used it to leave the vessel.

This is what happened to those who could not be bothered shifting their boats, did not know how, were absent overseas or just left them there on the advice that they would not be insured if they left the marina, elected NOT to escape into the mangroves.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=C...JkTUGfbfc3E3M:

This was a full Cat 5. Where I was in the creek, the winds were comparatively mild. My masthead anemometer read 175KPK (I do not think it was knots) in this sheltered spot.

When I returned, the boat was COVERED in branches, the batteries were flat, but the bilge pumps had kept the water below problem depth--and there would not have been any problems but for leaves blocking the cockpit drains and allowing the water level to reach the bottom of the wheelhouse doors. First thing I did was to put larger drains baffles and pipes with flaps under the wing decks to ensure this could not happen again.

There was a small scratch in the paint on the deck just below where the ropes came aboard to secure to the large horn cleats. Not the ropes chafing, but a bit of driftwood, had lodged there. That was it--nothing else, Bloody amazing. I had, after seeing what happened to the boats a few miles down the coast where the centre crossed, expected to see my mast sticking out of the water.

So--long ropes--some of mine are 100 feet long. I bought two rolls of 20 mm nylon, 100 metres on each. One I keep aside for possible anchor rode in deep water, the other I use for cyclone ties--along with some other ropes bough at different times. Nylon stretches--not a bad thing. It is EXTREMELY strong--and the only other thing I might mention is that I use multiple turns or rope around a mangrove tree before tying my bowline. Single turns damage the trees if they are given a really hard pull.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:42   #22
Marine Service Provider

Everything can be good advice if taken in the right context. I’ve lived through my share of storms and never take them lightly. We all know weather can turn from bad to horrible very quickly.
The best advice, which I heeded, is get yourself and boat out of the path before it arrives. Especially one like Florence.
lfalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:40   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Latest satellite image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8A4647B5-9E02-4128-8839-E52CB60349F5.png
Views:	94
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	177251  
Old 12-09-2018, 07:17   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfalco View Post
Everything can be good advice if taken in the right context. I’ve lived through my share of storms and never take them lightly. We all know weather can turn from bad to horrible very quickly.
The best advice, which I heeded, is get yourself and boat out of the path before it arrives. Especially one like Florence.
The best advice of all. Path of this storm has been known long enough that anyone who cared could have scooted south days ago. Many insurance companies will comp you the costs of such a prudent move. One need only be 50 to 150 miles south of the track to eliminate the risk. Anyone who spends that valuable time spreading anchors and planning to tough it out on board is playing Russian Roulette with only one empty chamber. When this is over, we will all see ruined marinas with boats destroyed. Many will not have even removed headsails.

ROXY safe in Chaguaramos, Trinidad. Even in Trinidad we remove all sails and canvas. There are tie downs available, never used, not needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	373C40FA-B3CD-4609-94C9-76BEDB65BC81.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	177253   Click image for larger version

Name:	F9EC04F0-014A-4566-8CB5-C504F650C640.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	177254  

Old 14-09-2018, 06:50   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Notice how close the two mid Atlantic hurricanes (Joyce and Helene) are in this image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	02BB0E4F-C451-4E9E-8022-C5DDB1B1E2D6.png
Views:	102
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	177352  
Old 19-10-2018, 08:37   #26

Boat: Colegate 26

I've been meaning to post this and get opinions from the salts.

In preparation of Florence and again for Michael I did something with my halyards that I haven't seen anyone else do, and I think it worked great and might even use it in other situations.

I took my mast-head spinnaker halyard (green) and wrapped it anti-clockwise around the forestay, then took the fractional jib halyard (blue) and wrapped it clockwise over the forestay. Only about 3 wraps each - it could probably be a single wrap, honestly, but it's a trick I adapted from observing flatbed trucks on the highway. They put a twist in their straps to prevent them from fluttering. The curve allows the air to pass over and dump off evenly on both sides. I think I got similar results with my halyards.

I then did similar with the boom lift (white) and main halyard (blocked red) to the clew end of the boom.

The worst I can see is a bit of chaffing. But I find that far less problematic than the halyard becoming a crank that constantly yanks on the top of the mast for 18 hours in high winds due to flailing back and forth.

My boat was damn near silent in the 40+ kts of wind, while most other boats in the marina were clanging and banging away through the night.

Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181012_080532.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	179240   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181012_085212.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	179241  

LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:00   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

In 2011, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued an unusual warning: that a zombie apocalypse is coming, and you'd better be prepared.

The one palpable downside to the CDC's warning is its obvious inadequacy, as a real plan for zombie preparedness.
If a zombie apocalypse does happen - and this is important - DO NOT follow the CDC's guidelines, as your only course of action.

The CDC zombie plan includes no mention of shotguns, torches, hot-wiring cars, seeking high ground, traveling at night vs. day, or really any worthwhile strategy for keeping zombies out of your house.

Parts of it are good, but it probably would serve the public better in the event of, for instance, a hurricane.

“Zombie Preparedness” ~ CDC
https://www.cdc.gov/cpr/zombie/index.htm

So what do you need to do before zombies … or hurricanes, or pandemics, for example, actually happen?
https://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthma...ie-apocalypse/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:15   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
In 2011, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued an unusual warning: that a zombie apocalypse is coming, and you'd better be prepared.

The one palpable downside to the CDC's warning is its obvious inadequacy, as a real plan for zombie preparedness.
If a zombie apocalypse does happen - and this is important - DO NOT follow the CDC's guidelines, as your only course of action.

The CDC zombie plan includes no mention of shotguns, torches, hot-wiring cars, seeking high ground, traveling at night vs. day, or really any worthwhile strategy for keeping zombies out of your house.

Parts of it are good, but it probably would serve the public better in the event of, for instance, a hurricane.

“Zombie Preparedness” ~ CDC
https://www.cdc.gov/cpr/zombie/index.htm

So what do you need to do before zombies … or hurricanes, or pandemics, for example, actually happen?
https://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthma...ie-apocalypse/
They are here!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1DAA3B35-0D15-49DA-AC49-EA1716B72B55.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	241607  
Old 05-07-2021, 04:28   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:53   #30

Boat: Pearson 34-2

The Idiot Apocalypse is certainly upon us, for which the only solution I see is to cut the dock lines and escape as best we can!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane