Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Weather | Gear, Reports and Resources
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 20:42   #1

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Boat: Jeanneau SunFast 43
Send a message via Skype™ to OzDean
Peloponnese to Sicily ~310nm during late September - Any Comments re conditions

Hey CF, I am planning a Med trip, can anyone comment on the passage from Peloponnese (Greece) across to Syracuse Sicily, ~310nm about 21 September? The various weather forecasts show 8-10 kn true breeze pretty much on the nose. Out boat is a Jeanneau SunFast 43 so it does go to windward ok. I don't mind beating, but 2-3 days beating into chop/swell would not be our idea of fun, well I would not mind so much but our crew/passengers would get jack of it. Has anyone done that leg in Sept and can comment on their actual conditions and strategy for the passage, eg head north toward Corfu then cross west?
OzDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 00:31   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2
Re: Peloponnese to Sicily ~310nm during late September - Any Comments re conditions

Hi ozDean
I had purchase my boat (Jeanneau 45,2 )from France 6years before and I had made the same passage (Sicily to peloponisos and then to Crete early October!!
I made Sicily to Pilos about 4 days (single handed ) without serious beating except some medium waves when I left Sicily !
I think if you have the luxury to be flexible with dates to find the right weather gap you will be just fine ..
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:53   #3

Boat: Faurby 396
Re: Peloponnese to Sicily ~310nm during late September - Any Comments re conditions

In late September 2015 we made a passage from Messolonghi to Cagliari but through the Strait of Messina. I looked at my log and found out that we set off a day after force 7 westerly with gusting force 8 southerlies, with lots of rain. The day after the next day it was clear and we set off. In the beginning it was beam reach starboard tack, then motoring with wind ahead and finally close hauled on port tack. Therefore, the wind backed from north to west-southwest. There was also and east going current of appr. 1 -1.5 knots which slowed us. However, no big deal we made it to the straight for 56 hours. In the straight it was blowing 20 knots in the nose with short steep waves and we had to motor at an angle. Boat is 37' and light.
olianta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 20:31   #4

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E

I've made that passage 8 times in september. Twice I got some nasty weather because being in the charter business force me to sail on a schedule.
Usually in september you can have 3 to 5 days of strong westerly in a row on the south part of Peloponnese, some north west on the northern part kicking up during the day and going down at night.
The ionian see on September can be affected by squall due to high CAPE, especially if a cold front get its way in the still very hot Mediterranean water.
A part from that if are able to wait a good windows you'll have a nice passage and if you like fishing you can catch long fin tuna.
capitangiorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:36   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

Agree with previous. Have done this passage at least five times in September, and last year three days and nights exactly on the nose. Worst ever. Wait for a weather window! Reward arriving in Syracuse: vast anchorage, easy even at night. Beware of muddy holding. Dig in well!
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:42   #6

We did this route and it was fine, light sailing with some motoring. Just pick your weather, nice time of the year.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:04   #7

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m

Last september we had 5 days westerly, I was going east. After sept. 25th the wind turned for 10 days easterlies. Just wait a couple of days until the wind turns out good for you.
I got another to this round. I plan to stay somewhere in the Peloponnese next september for wintering on shore. Anyone has good experience for a safe and moderate prices marina?
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:28   #8
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I'm going from Pilos to Malta in mid August this year. I've thought about heading up to Zakinthos first but it really would add on a lot of time, and I've been to that island 3 times in the past so no need to do it again.

Unless it's really for S#$T, we will just punch through, with motors if need be. But I may put my wife on a plane - $130 Kalamata to Malta plus a few nights in a hotel is cheap compared to her being sea sick for two plus days. It's only 350 NM.

I wouldn't over think it.
Old 09-05-2017, 15:07   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43

Hi Ozdean - agree with all above about waiting for the weather window. Only additional comment is to check the swell. Med seas can be very short and choppy, and if you run out of breeze it can be nasty punching into the swell. The forecasts are usually pretty good. If you're patient and wait for a window you'll have a good trip.
Amblecampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 09:26   #10

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Boat: Jeanneau SunFast 43
Send a message via Skype™ to OzDean

Hey Thanks All for the replies, that is really helpful, I have some slack in the schedule so will wait for wind predictions that are favourable and will look forward to that anchorage in Syracuse.
OzDean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, Sicily