Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2016, 07:28   #31

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Internet-Independent Weather

I understood badly what you mean by internet-independent weather. I assumed you were talking about providers that use information provided by different weather analysts and present several models independently from the ones that provide the information.

All the other ways provide a less informative weather report and today with a satellite telephone you can have information from the internet.

I have a Navtex but the value of the information presented there is much smaller than the one you can get by internet and about the same you can receive by short wave radio. It is very important to receive images of the weather systems, preferably already worked, to understand how the weather is going to evolve and to be able to take decisions regarding what to do and where to go.

Even the very small racing boats that do transat like the Figaro class (33ft), receive weather information by internet through satellite phone (outside routing is forbidden).

A very curious kit about the Figaro class and the Transat for the kids on the French schools to get educated about solo races. No wonder that solo racing is popular in France On page 24 they talk about satellite telephone and receiving weather information.
http://www.transat-bretagnemartiniqu...ecole_2013.pdf

If someone don't need them all the time, but just to some ocasional long passages, they can be rented.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:45   #32
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I have a Navtex but the value of the information presented there is much smaller than the one you can get by internet and about the same you can receive by short wave radio. It is very important to receive images of the weather systems, preferably already worked, to understand how the weather is going to evolve and to be able to take decisions regarding what to do and where to go.

Short wave radio will give you exactly the images you described via weather fax, even a mobile phone sat next to the reciever can decode the broadcasts these days. Though a bigger screen would be better...
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:12   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . . It is very important to receive images of the weather systems, preferably already worked, to understand how the weather is going to evolve and to be able to take decisions regarding what to do and where to go.. . .
Exactly. This is the key point.

Next year I will change my weather routine and start getting weatherfaxes via HF radio, and grib charts and forecasts via Getfile and Pactor. Just to get into the habit of it. Instead of relying on grib files via mobile networks as I have always done.

I have a fixed installed sat phone on my boat (installed by the PO), but I have never activated it and don't plan to. I prefer to work by HF radio.

I will acquire a DeLorme satellite device, because of the superb utility of unlimited short messages, but that won't help me with weather for the reasons you stated.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:40   #34
cruiser

For North sea/Baltic dwd on 10.1mhz can be another very useful additional weather string for the bow..

Radio Teletype (RTTY) Weather Forecasts - Franks-Weather - The Weather Window
Old 04-12-2016, 09:43   #35

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Short wave radio will give you exactly the images you described via weather fax, even a mobile phone sat next to the reciever can decode the broadcasts these days. Though a bigger screen would be better...
Interesting, what software does the phone use?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:50   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
This app on a tablet gave surprisingly good results just with a Degen 1103 across Biscay a while ago.

HF Weather Fax decoder for Android phones & tablets – Wolphi – Mobile Software Development
Old 04-12-2016, 10:35   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
There are actually world wide grib data being beamed down now, but no one has had a good go at getting a stable antenna on a moving boat yet.
What about an antenna with lower dbi and a broader reception angle? (gps-style antena ?) Something that could work from a relative stable boat (say, anchored, for starts).

Is the challenge that the signal sent is low power?

If you have any informative / instructive links, PLS post.

THX,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:37   #38

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Raymond, Black Cat Systems makes a variety such apps for tablets, smartphones, and computers. [e.g., WeFAX, NAVTEX, even a very useful database of international HF/MF scheduled radio broadcasts by genre.]

In case this is worth exploring for your needs...

Cheers! Bill
Old 04-12-2016, 10:42   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

(...)

Next year I will change my weather routine and start getting weatherfaxes via HF radio, and grib charts and forecasts via Getfile and Pactor.

(...)
When a Pactor present, you can ping the NWS server and get radiofax files as email attachments. This is way more convenient than HF radiofax.

HF radiofax is sent at specific frequencies, specific times and at times simply impossible to get due to atmospheric things.

I only get HF radiofax on our own boat, but having used email / attachment radiofax service on other boats I would definitely opt for this method - you get what you want, when you want.

But not every radiofax agency is as good as NOAA. So having a HF radiofax is still the way to go elsewhere.

b.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:46   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Raymond, Black Cat Systems makes a variety such apps for tablets, smartphones, and computers. [e.g., WeFAX, NAVTEX, even a very useful database of international HF/MF scheduled radio broadcasts by genre.]

In case this is worth exploring for your needs...

Cheers! Bill
Any of the Apps available as a demo?

I do not by what I cannot try out.

b.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:52   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What about an antenna with lower dbi and a broader reception angle? (gps-style antena ?) Something that could work from a relative stable boat (say, anchored, for starts).

Is the challenge that the signal sent is low power?

If you have any informative / instructive links, PLS post.

THX,
barnakiel
Have a look here..
https://outernet.is/docs
Old 04-12-2016, 11:18   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
For North sea/Baltic dwd on 10.1mhz can be another very useful additional weather string for the bow..

Radio Teletype (RTTY) Weather Forecasts - Franks-Weather - The Weather Window
Thanks; hot tip

I use DWD of course, but usually by Internet. I'll start doing this Also, I love RTTY and have a few different ways to decode it.
Old 04-12-2016, 15:43   #43

Quote:
Have a look here..
https://outernet.is/docs
Cool, but commercial. Do you have any good read for people who want to build this without buying ready made components?

If I am lucky and my current obligations resolve this year I could find time to build a kit next year. Maybe also prototype a boat antenna.

b.
Old 04-12-2016, 17:53   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Cool, but commercial. Do you have any good read for people who want to build this without buying ready made components?

If I am lucky and my current obligations resolve this year I could find time to build a kit next year. Maybe also prototype a boat antenna.

b.
???

It's all on that page. There's a link to github for the open source software, the rtl link has a diy guide detailing what rtlsdr dongle to use and LNA etc with more links to home brew antennas ....
Old 05-12-2016, 00:14   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I understood badly what you mean by internet-independent weather. I assumed you were talking about providers that use information provided by different weather analysts and present several models independently from the ones that provide the information.. . .
No, I meant getting weather when you don't have an Internet connection. But I guess that's clear by now -- this is a pretty old thread.

Tags
internet, weather