Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 08:01   #1

Boat: Hunter 410
Hurricane preparation in western LI Sound

I've just crossed through the East River to LI sound, currently anchored just outside Throg's neck. Watching the news on hurricane/TS Isaias, it's looks like I should get ready today and tomorrow...

Anyone know of a safe spot near me? How do you all think about anchor vs. mooring vs. dock vs. haul out? I know I need to reduce windage as much as possible, so I will be removing both headsails and the Bimini. Do people normally take the main down as well? What about the dinghy that usually lives on davits?

If the solution is anchoring, I'd appreciate some tips as well. My current ground tackle set up has always worked well, but I've never tested it seriously... I only have 80 ft of chain, then rope on a mantus. (Not a one-size-up). I also have a small secondary anchor (folding type), with even less chain, which I've never deployed. Finally, a stern anchor (claw type) on an all-rope rode.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:20   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Hurricane preparation in western LI Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebLostInSpace View Post
I've just crossed through the East River to LI sound, currently anchored just outside Throg's neck. Watching the news on hurricane/TS Isaias, it's looks like I should get ready today and tomorrow...

Anyone know of a safe spot near me? How do you all think about anchor vs. mooring vs. dock vs. haul out? I know I need to reduce windage as much as possible, so I will be removing both headsails and the Bimini. Do people normally take the main down as well? What about the dinghy that usually lives on davits?

If the solution is anchoring, I'd appreciate some tips as well. My current ground tackle set up has always worked well, but I've never tested it seriously... I only have 80 ft of chain, then rope on a mantus. (Not a one-size-up). I also have a small secondary anchor (folding type), with even less chain, which I've never deployed. Finally, a stern anchor (claw type) on an all-rope rode.

If you want to anchor, the secret up this way (like south) is to pick a navigable river, motor way up and stake out a spot for yourself.

It’s mostly the surge and chop action that gets things going pear shaped. Surround yourself by land far away from the open water.

CT is where the rivers are. The Hudson could also work.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:30   #3

Boat: Adams 45
Re: Hurricane preparation in western LI Sound

You could take a mooring at Port Washington. The harbor is well sheltered, at least from waves. It's surrounded by land, but much of it not high enough to dramatically reduce the wind. https://www.portwatertaxi.com/mooring-services. Matt runs the water service and is highly knowledgeable and reliable. I had my 45' boat on a mooring there one season and no problems in 40-50 knot storms. I did not remove furled sails or the full cockpit enclosure, although doing so is definitely helpful.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane