Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2011, 05:05   #106

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Hurricane Irene

Stay safe East Coasters, our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Hoping Irene veers due east...
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 06:51   #107

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Some tracks are showing the center of the storm as far west as over Lake Champlain, NY with winds in the 80 mph. This may cause some major damages on the lake since marinas there are not built for this kind of weather, docks are floating ones attached to concrete blocks and during normal summer thunderstorms damages are not unusual. Boaters also are not used to this type of weather and will mostly be poorly prepared, dodgers and sails may explode on some boats. Add some flooding caused by the rainfall and the northern part of the lake will again flood the Richelieu area, which is just recovering from unexpected flooding in the spring. Altogether, if the track of this hurricane is confirmed to go this far west inland it may cause lots of damages, not only to boats, but to building and electrical infrastructures.
Old 26-08-2011, 07:09   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

so far "irene" has followed the continental shelf,if it continues on that track it may turn out to be a damp squib,with the destructive winds staying off shore........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 07:10   #109

I'm on the hard at Casa Rio Marina on the Rhode River. There is a reason insurance companies pay for you to haul out--it saves them money (and you damage). I've seen postings suggesting boats are safer in the water than on the hard. Just not true statistically. I was on the hard for Isabel, maybe only 10' above sea level....no problems, while boats near me were destroyed, along with the docks they were tied to and other anchored boats blown way up on shore.
bobbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 07:25   #110

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

I think we may be OK here in Halifax Nova Scotia, but you never know. Without having a debate about what anchor is best, what technique do you use to anchor in high wind conditions???
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 07:31   #111
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
I think we may be OK here in Halifax Nova Scotia, but you never know. Without having a debate about what anchor is best, what technique do you use to anchor in high wind conditions???
drop n pray...let wind back ye up...
might need more than one anchor....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 08:12   #112

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

I went through a Tropical Storm (not a hurricane) with 3 anchors at the bow. Today I would have an other 2 more at the rear with little buoys attached to the lines if I had to let them go. My two cents.
Old 26-08-2011, 08:31   #113

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

The recent tracks seem to show the storm accelerating. The good news for those of us in southern New England is that it may come ashore in the early afternoon which is low tide. Earlier, it looked like landfall was going to be at high tide which would have made the surge impact much worse. Damn, I'm now checking the maps at least twice as often as they get updated.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 16:25   #114

Boat: Island Packet 35
I hope the NYers out there are ready. The news is reporting a 1ft surge already.
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 16:45   #115

Boat: PETERSON 44
Short clip from galesville md mooring I don't want to hold the camera into the rain too long. Biggest threat here is some unprepared boat breaking loose http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=4nq0fymbs#...?v=tZturgwf7RA
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 16:52   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray
Short clip from galesville md mooring I don't want to hold the camera into the rain too long. Biggest threat here is some unprepared boat breaking loose http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=4nq0fymbs#...?v=tZturgwf7RA
Try this for video no great film not sure how to do this from iPad so try again http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=4nq0fymbs#...?v=tZturgwf7RA
Old 27-08-2011, 18:54   #117

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

10PM in Annapolis. Riding it out in Annapolis Landing Marina. Gusts to 37+ so far; no surge.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 19:15   #118

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Report in the Daily Mail in England:

A couple living attempting to outrun Hurricane Irene were also rescued today in the Chesapeake Bay as their sailboat was battered by 6- to 8-ft seas and winds gusting to 45mph, rescue officials said.

Unable to launch rescue craft, two rescue crew members swam to the sailboat, pulled the sailors off and hauled them back to shore in the Willoughby section of Norfolk near the mouth of Chesapeake Bay.

The couple, who lived aboard the ship, did not want to be identified. They were treated by medical personnel and taken to a shelter. Their cat also survived the ordeal.

For those still in the path and preparing, don't let this be you. This is only gusting 45kt...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Irene.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	30889  
Old 27-08-2011, 20:07   #119

Blowing touch above 37 I'm going sustained winds 45 probably more gusts going near 55. Boat has everything off no main no boom nod head sails and I'm laying over 10'degrees. I witness that's not 35 knots, not so bad but wind is above. 37 good night Irene, pray that all these moored boats keep there lines on the ball
Old 27-08-2011, 20:50   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

We are still getting gusts to 50 here but it has shifted to coming out of the north. The tide is dropping like a rock and in about 3 hours we should have moved out 6.5 ft of water to get us back to MLW in the lower Chesapeake or sloshed a large amount to the eastern shore in any case. We have had a poorly anchored boat out in the creek and it appears they got lucky.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane