Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2011, 09:37   #61

Re: Hurricane Irene

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
The track has moved west in the last 24 hours putting the Eastern half of Long Island, NY, and most of New England on the wrong side of the eye. High tide is early evening in Southern New England which looks to be about when the storm comes ashore so the surge could be a big deal.

I'm stripping canvas and sails today. Hope to get the boat hauled in the next couple of days. Our mooring is downwind of about a hundred boats. If any break loose, it won't be pretty.
Just heard that your area was to expect significant flooding with the surge.

Long time ago I was told you don't wish a sailor "good luck" that it was bad luck to do so.....

At the risk of not being in proper etiquette, wish you all in harms way the very best and stay safe!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 13:34   #62

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Here in the west river , gyy is full, hartges is full on land but has some mooring balls available. Rhodes River by Camp Letts is starting to fill up.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 13:41   #63

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkie43 View Post
In Washington, NC. Heading down tonight to remove everything and store it below. We're tracking Track Hurricane Irene / Stormpulse / Hurricanes, severe weather, tracking, mapping. It uses numerous models.

Comon' high pressure and cold fronts pushing east!

S/V Galileo
Hey!!-not TOO far East.
Old 25-08-2011, 13:53   #64

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

Huh... I guess we're boned. I'm high and dry, but my marina is only like 3ft above sea level, lol.

On the plus side, I'll bet there will be some great 'handyman specials' that'll be... er... flooding the market starting next week.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 14:07   #65

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

5PM models runs don't look good for the Chesapeake. Chuck

Click image for larger version

Name:	at201109_model.gif
Views:	221
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	30843

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 14:25   #66

Not feeling too good about that track here on Long Island either. Though if it goes way west into land it should get knocked down sooner than if it hugged the coast:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: AND IT GET'S SUCKIER!
I've seen four tracks that have it going way east of my mooring three that show it going directly over my boat and four that have it going to the west.
Old 25-08-2011, 14:31   #67

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
I'm contemplating either anchoring in lake Montauk, or remaining in Shelter Island area.
Do the marinas generally evict yachts/fishing boats during hurricanes?
I would think I could find some decent swinging room if the mega-yachts and fishing boats remain at the docks...
Lake Montauk is shallow and I understand the holding is not good. If I were in Montauk now I think I'd head for Port Jeff Harbor or somewhere more in the lee of LI. You can really anchor anywhere in PJ Harbor: Maybe right where the channel goes into Setauket which would put you away from most other boats or immediately behind the sandbar west of the inlet as you enter. There are lots of moorings there, most of which seem to be unused.

Just read that 90% of the homes on one small island in the Bahamas were destroyed or washed away!
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 14:32   #68
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Track Tropical Depression Ten, Track Hurricane Irene / Stormpulse / Hurricanes, severe weather, tracking, mapping
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 14:50   #69

On the hard, stripped, wrapped and ready in CT. Predicted Cat1 to come ashore Sunday at New Haven after crossing Long Island. People here taking it seriously (somewhat different than the usual New England nauseatingly frozen maple syrup attitude) with many boats already up from the ocean and on the hard. Exceptions of a strong storm surge and flooding along the coast. Hmmm, should have stayed in LA.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 14:52   #70

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

In selecting a place to drop anchor, the storm surge is probably more a concern than wind. Many of the hurricane holes, would become exposed to the sea. Floating docks would slip their pilings. This could include spots up in Narragansett Bay, Connecticut River, and all the way into LI Sound. The Hurricane of '38 produced 16-20' above normal tides which destroyed things way up inside rivers and bays. Here's a link to a description of that storm: HURRICANE OF 1938
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 14:54   #71

i like earthquakes much better than storms..... but.....i am in stomville, mazatlan, mexico.
always expect greater than predicted i have learned. she will prolly still be a bitch when she is predicted to be cat 1, i would treat her still as a major player. weather prediction has flaws. many are in prediction of winds and seas. expect and be ready for greater than predicted and be happy iff is less.
Old 25-08-2011, 15:21   #72

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

More on Irene and the 1938 storm.

Quote:
Meteorologist Dr. Jeff Masters Irene Blog on Wunderground

Looks like this could be a real mess. Lot's of very knowledgeable people posting here.

Back in 1938, long before satellites, radar, the hurricane hunters, and the modern weather forecasting system, the great New England hurricane of 1938 roared northwards into Long Island, New York at 60 mph, pushing a storm surge more than 15 feet high to the coast. Hundreds of Americans died in this greatest Northeast U.S. hurricane on record, the only Category 3 storm to hit the Northeast since the 1800s. Since 1938, there have been a number of significant hurricanes in the Northeast--the Great Atlantic hurricane of 1944, Hazel of 1954, Diane of 1955, Donna of 1960, Gloria of 1985, Bob of 1991, and Floyd of 1999--but none of these were as formidable as the great 1938 storm. Today, we have a hurricane over the Bahamas--Hurricane Irene--that threatens to be the Northeast's most dangerous storm since the 1938 hurricane. We've all been watching the computer models, which have been steadily moving their forecast tracks for Irene more to the east--first into Florida, then Georgia, then South Carolina, then North Carolina, then offshore of North Carolina--and it seemed that this storm would do what so many many storms have done in the past, brush the Outer Banks of North Carolina, then head out to sea. Irene will not do that. Irene will likely hit Eastern North Carolina, but the storm is going northwards after that, and may deliver an extremely destructive blow to the mid-Atlantic and New England states. I am most concerned about the storm surge danger to North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and the rest of the New England coast. Irene is capable of inundating portions of the coast under 10 - 15 feet of water, to the highest storm surge depths ever recorded. I strongly recommend that all residents of the mid-Atlantic and New England coast familiarize themselves with their storm surge risk. The best source of that information is the National Hurricane Center's Interactive Storm Surge Risk Map, which allows one to pick a particular Category hurricane and zoom in to see the height above ground level a worst-case storm surge may go. If you prefer static images, use wunderground's Storm Surge Inundation Maps. If these tools indicate you may be at risk, consult your local or state emergency management office to determine if you are in a hurricane evacuation zone. Mass evacuations of low-lying areas along the entire coast of New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia are at least 50% likely to be ordered by Saturday. The threat to the coasts of New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine is less certain, but evacuations may be ordered in those states, as well. Irene is an extremely dangerous storm for an area that has no experience with hurricanes, and I strongly urge you to evacuate from the coast if an evacuation is ordered by local officials. My area of greatest concern is the coast from Ocean City, Maryland, to Atlantic City, New Jersey. It is possible that this stretch of coast will receive a direct hit from a slow-moving Category 2 hurricane hitting during the highest tide of the month, bringing a 10 - 15 foot storm surge.
Old 25-08-2011, 15:23   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Lake Montauk is shallow and I understand the holding is not good. If I were in Montauk now I think I'd head for Port Jeff Harbor or somewhere more in the lee of LI. You can really anchor anywhere in PJ Harbor: Maybe right where the channel goes into Setauket which would put you away from most other boats or immediately behind the sandbar west of the inlet as you enter. There are lots of moorings there, most of which seem to be unused.

Just read that 90% of the homes on one small island in the Bahamas were destroyed or washed away!
thanks
will be making a stand around shelter island -
currently anchored with a bunch of mega-yachts with southerly protection.
will watch the track and be ready to anchor for direction etc...
hopefully the island is aptly named...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 15:38   #74

Boat: PETERSON 44
Just talking with a Joe in the yard here reminded me. The other troubling piece to Irene is it's not moving real fast. I was in Bob and it flew over moving 30 mph this thing at least now is going half that speed. When I was on the Narraganset the yard had me way out on a working pier. I was able to run lines ashore around a telephone pole and run anchors out into the harbor. Advantage of being a working class boat.get those roller furled sails off and strap down the main or get that off as well. I'm stripping my boat bare. I'm worried about my neighbors if the guy behind me doesn't show up I'm strapping his main down Saturday no cover on it nothing strapped to the clew to hold it down. I will also run out a fx and an old 45# danforth into the creek so if need be I can fall back and there is insurance if the mooring goes
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 15:46   #75

i have a bad feeling about irene--prep for a cat 4 and be safe

Tags
hurricane