Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 15:41   #61

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: How to Ride Out a Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
You can come stay with me in Utah -if the storm surge climbs to 5000 feet I think there will be nothing to worry about. It will all be gone.
Didn't you have 100 MPH winds yesterday?
Old 02-12-2011, 16:11   #62

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Years ago in Cairns when we had a hurricane warning I would take my power boat (Shark cat 23) up Trinity inlet and into one of the tributary creeks and tie it to the mangroves on either side of the creek. Take everything that could move or blow off the boat and leave it until the H was over. Never had any damage at all.

This was much safer than leaving her on the trailer in a shed.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 17:55   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
This where getting in the deep and putting out a sea anchor might be fun!
Hello! Hope you guys don't mind me asking a few questions... I am fascinated by the topic of bad weather. I'm from Texas originally, and my Dad and a few friends kept a 45ft motor/sailor around the Gulf of Mexico (around Kemah before the development so this was early 70's). Lots of shrimp boats and a few great seafood shacks. They loved the open water but always seemed to stay pretty close to the fort. Whenever we did venture out into the Gulf proper, my Dad and his buddies watched the weather closely and the marine/weather was always close by. They had a real respect for the Gulf

I remember day sailing one time over a 4th of July weekend, In the blink of an eye something blew in and the gulf started getting really rough and warnings were flying over the radio. I saw enough weather/water that day to humble my Dad and his (2) war buddies. Things got real quiet and they got down to business getting us all back home safely in that tub, it was a neat old cruiser (Columbia?), but it felt distinctly out of place once the weather got up.

Is it true that when the weather starts getting really bad that's when certain guys head out into open water to "Ride it out"!

Is this a generally accepted practice for a really experienced or adventurous Sailor?

Would any of you willingly venture out into the weather and use a Sea Anchor or Drogue in really severe conditions?

Does this also have a lot to do with what type of boat you've got and if it's really seaworthy?

thanks
flipperTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 19:15   #64
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Years ago in Cairns when we had a hurricane warning I would take my power boat (Shark cat 23) up Trinity inlet and into one of the tributary creeks and tie it to the mangroves on either side of the creek. Take everything that could move or blow off the boat and leave it until the H was over. Never had any damage at all.

This was much safer than leaving her on the trailer in a shed.

That's what my dad's company did -- took the tugboats into the Everglades.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:51   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipperTX View Post

Is it true that when the weather starts getting really bad that's when certain guys head out into open water to "Ride it out"!
Welcome aboard!

This is not a simple question. Heading offshore vs. heading inshore requires lots of local knowledge that may help predict where the boat will be safer.

More importantly is whether the crew will be safe.

It also depends on what type of storm/weather is coming. Learning about the weather and what to do is a lifelong endeavor.

Quote:
Is this a generally accepted practice for a really experienced or adventurous Sailor?

Would any of you willingly venture out into the weather and use a Sea Anchor or Drogue in really severe conditions?
I would not head out in a hurricane if I could avoid it. Ultimately I would rather have a splintered boat than be dead.

Quote:
Does this also have a lot to do with what type of boat you've got and if it's really seaworthy?

thanks
Not for me. I'd rather be on shore in a bunker than in a boat in a hurricane.

For me being caught in a hurricane is an "emerging" emergency and because few of us have multiple experiences in Hurricanes our experience level is quite low while the prudent sailor may have lots of book knowledge.

You get one chance to apply that book knowledge and I would guess storm survival is 99% preparation, 50% application of knowledge and 50% good fortune. Yes it's a 200% endeavor - toss in 1% prayer to your favorite God.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:37   #66

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

A hurricane is a very predictable worst case scenario. With weeks of warnings that it may enter the Gulf it would be very imprudent to be any where near when it arrives.

Other storms however, while you may get a good advance notice of an impending cold front, (can stir up nasty coastal storms), the daily weather forecast in summer, is "seas 2-3ft slight chance of thunderstorms".

That "slight" chance can be a clear day of quiet offshore fishing, or a good pounding.

I have several times been "stranded" offshore, when a line of violent storms formed between me and the coast. In that case I had no choice, but to turn around and run before the storm into the deep Gulf until the storm dissipated, sometimes 20-50 miles further offshore.

I have also been pressed by low fuel, and little time and had to make a run for it and punch through heavy weather on the nose. Nether was much fun.

Big cold fronts can push these storms all the way to Mexico, now would not be a good time to go out onto the Gulf unless you are a glutten for punishment. Weather windows in winter , and early spring can be short, and not so sweet.

Carrying extra supplies, and fuel is advisable in case the situation changes, and you spend more time than expected in the middle of the ocean.

Carrying at least a couple of backup storm survival systems, (drogue, lifeboat, sea anchor,etc...), is also advisable. Practice deploying in moderate conditions, don't wait for an emergency to see if they work.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 19:40   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Didn't you have 100 MPH winds yesterday?
Yeah, and the two boats (one in Utah and one in Bellingham, did fine.) If fact with 100 plus winds for 12 hours, around here there is remarkable little damage. Lots of trees, lots of shingles, and few windows and one or two businesses trashed, but I was surprised.
My take- the air here is half as dense as the air at sea, consequently the force hitting the ground should be about half.
But we do have some windstorms.
Top wind ever recorded on the shore of the Great Salt Lake? Over 200 mph.
Your still invited.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote