Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2017, 16:47   #16

Re: Gentle chop versus rough ocean

Here's an insane idea: Why not wait until it's beautiful weather? Sailing is supposed to be enjoyable.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 17:02   #17

When I was 22 with my first boat,I tried beating into big waves making no headway and every time we came down the back side I would get the roller coaster butterflies. It's not bad for 15 to 20 minutes but I hung in there for an hour. Every wave after a while became physically & extremely painful so I gave up and turned back.I've never heard of any one getting the roller coaster Butterflies before. If you did , I would like to hear about it.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 17:47   #18

When I'm in gentle chop I can sail with a drink in hand and one eye on the compus, and when the waves are BIG than hang on with both hands reduce sail hook your harness in wear your life jacket close all openings and hatches , Concentrate on the waves breaking behind you and do your very best not to broach. If things are getting too much , hove too and start an oil drip with what ever vegetable oil you have left and use a sea anchor to adjust your angle of attack to 45 degrees.Don't abandon a perfectly good boat. Does that cover your waves ?
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 17:48   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
That sounds good too! Is there a thread for "festive foul weather finger foods?"
Dunno about ""festive", but one trip the whole crew survived on Ryvita biscuits for nearly three days - then had a huge late-night feed on arrival to use up what we could before quarantine took it off us the next morning when we cleared in.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 19:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
Most all of my experience is on lakes, rivers, or very protected ocean.

Next week, we head from Portland Oregon to the San Juan islands.
We have a very experienced guy on the boat so I am pretty comfortable we won't do stupid things. I am very aware of when to cross the bar( slack tide/current)

So, let's get to my real question. Are 6' waves with 8sec intervals relatively gentle ocean or are we in for a rough ride?

Motion comfort ratio is is 22.78 on a Beneteau 343.
It can be a tough trip with a NNW breeze 6 by 8 will be an average so expect more than that. I have found 5 distinct weather patterns on that run which I have made many times. If it gets ugly all you can do is keep going though some will try ducking into Grays Harbor which I have never considered a good call. ( check DESW1 )Try to arrive off Cape Flattery around dawn or so and do not attempt "hole in the wall" though your experienced hand may know how to run it. Forget La Push too shallow and the tide can be challenging. Neaha Bay is only 6 miles with fuel and moorage among the commercial fishing boats. I prefer anchoring off up past the marina breakwater. Enter carefully, I prefer going in to about 50 feet or so from the green buoy and leaving it to port of course, the red is on Wada Island and can be shallow. You will pass the USCG base to port then carry on another mile or so. Expect fog near the entrance to Cape Flattery. Honor the red buoy off Tatoosh Island. Watch the weather at Destruction Island DESW1 will show you a graph of pressure and wind. Worth a look now and begin motoring it. If the wind lays down after about 11pm and stays variable at 2 knots or so the next day will be okay. If the wind does not lay down stay in Astoria and be patient. I prefer the bar on a flood. If you are going to cross the straights do so early in the day before the NW's know your there. Have a terrific summer. Barkley Sound is more remote with fog most afternoons I have found.
mickelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 20:02   #21

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

It is often very bouncy off the Oregon/Washington coast, but more so headed in your direction. No guarantees, but you may wish to have a couple of decent/hearty meals in the plans if seasickness does not intervene. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst May you experience fair winds and small, well-spaced waves, with plenty of snack foods/water and soft drinks and gator aid. Be very aware of the stupid things you do not do so you will not do them next time either.
Old 10-07-2017, 20:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickelsen View Post
It can be a tough trip with a NNW breeze 6 by 8 will be an average so expect more than that. I have found 5 distinct weather patterns on that run which I have made many times. If it gets ugly all you can do is keep going though some will try ducking into Grays Harbor which I have never considered a good call. ( check DESW1 )Try to arrive off Cape Flattery around dawn or so and do not attempt "hole in the wall" though your experienced hand may know how to run it. Forget La Push too shallow and the tide can be challenging. Neaha Bay is only 6 miles with fuel and moorage among the commercial fishing boats. I prefer anchoring off up past the marina breakwater. Enter carefully, I prefer going in to about 50 feet or so from the green buoy and leaving it to port of course, the red is on Wada Island and can be shallow. You will pass the USCG base to port then carry on another mile or so. Expect fog near the entrance to Cape Flattery. Honor the red buoy off Tatoosh Island. Watch the weather at Destruction Island DESW1 will show you a graph of pressure and wind. Worth a look now and begin motoring it. If the wind lays down after about 11pm and stays variable at 2 knots or so the next day will be okay. If the wind does not lay down stay in Astoria and be patient. I prefer the bar on a flood. If you are going to cross the straights do so early in the day before the NW's know your there. Have a terrific summer. Barkley Sound is more remote with fog most afternoons I have found.
Very superb advice. Try Ilwaco, it's closer, depending on the tides and current times. Grays Harbor in rough weather should be considered a death trap, avoid it. Lapush in anything beyond 4@10 with 12 knot winds is asking for trouble. Don't even think about it.

Safe journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 20:27   #23

Boat: Beneteau/343

The wind will definitely be on our nose, but the wave forecasts have moderated to about 3.5'/8 seconds
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 01:10   #24

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
The wind will definitely be on our nose, but the wave forecasts have moderated to about 3.5'/8 seconds
That's not too bad. What's the wind forecast?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 05:18   #25

Quote:
That's not too bad. What's the wind forecast?

For the bar crossing 10-15, building to 20-25 in the evening.
Old 15-07-2017, 11:42   #26

Sounds ok. So I have not sailed that piece of coast but I know what it's like to be splashed with cold water. I am guessing the plan is to go early, reef early and have plenty of fleece under the foul weather gear, and a couple of thermoses full of cafe mocha ready for the evening!�� Make sure you get dibs on the quarter berth! Seriously, I think you'll have a great time.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 19-07-2017, 22:42   #27

It was a long, cold haul up the coast. We had 20kts of wind on the nose and waves that were a lot closer to 6'/6sec at times. Once we got to the straits of Juan de Fuca, it has been glorious.
Old 19-07-2017, 23:57   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good on ya, now you've an adventure to share!

Ann
Old 20-07-2017, 00:31   #29

Good to hear it went well. Did you try the cafe mocha in the thermoses?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 20-07-2017, 07:21   #30

Quote:
Good to hear it went well. Did you try the cafe mocha in the thermoses?

Nah. We never really got our act together to get coffee made.