Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Weather | Gear, Reports and Resources
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 09:40   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: From CNN: Several passengers hurt as cruise ship tilts when hit by sudden 115 mph

The guys at the bar did not seem phased..
Musta been drinking Rhum..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:43   #17

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft
Re: From CNN: Several passengers hurt as cruise ship tilts when hit by sudden 115 mph

45 degrees for 5 minutes ?? Bet the laundry was busy after that.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:47   #18

Boat: Catalina 425
Re: From CNN: Several passengers hurt as cruise ship tilts when hit by sudden 115 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
I think my friend, Boatman 61 was making a joke. No sense of humor here, just like in the Democrat controlled Congress.
Hey they have a sense of humor. After all how else could a 20 year old kid be the spokesperson of the nation. Oh wait she was a waitress-maybe she sleeps in a holiday inn express.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
I think my friend, Boatman 61 was making a joke. No sense of humor here, just like in the Democrat controlled Congress.
Congress is bicameral legislature comprised of the House of Representatives AND the Senate. Currently, the House has a majoroity of Democrats, however, the Senate has a Republican majority.

I'm not sure which is worse, the unnecessary injection of your opinion of US Politics on an International sailing forum, or the fact that you don't have a clear understanding of the structure of the political system that you mock.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:54   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I thought radar warned folks about things like this.. or so folk keep saying..
Cough--- Cough----

Actually, it may have!!!

This particular wind appears to have been associated with the leading edge of a cold front. One can see the clouds on the leading edge of the front on radar. If on open water, you would see the storm approaching. A review of historical radar shows the front clearly.

So as you so accurately stated..... Assuming they run the latest and greatest color radar- they would have seem big weather headed to them. Seems odd they (apparently) decided to take it on the beam.

see https://gis.ncdc.noaa.gov/maps/ncei/radar for historical radar
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:37   #21

Surprised nobody here has blamed this on the U.S. Navy!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:55   #22

I wonder if it was on a port or starboard tack...
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:03   #23

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
It happens in that area.. been knocked down by a gust that came out of nowhere on a Roberts 54.. sea's had been flat and no wind for a few hours when the gust hit us from the N putting the main in the water.
Not 115mph but at least 50+kts.

But white squalls don't exist!!
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:03   #24

Boat: KP 46

She is a commercial vessel, of course she has gone thru stability tests.
Cruise ships keep a low GM, which gives a slow roll rate which keeps the pax happy, also stabalizers which in most cases keep her flat. 15 degrees would cause havoc on board as chairs glasses etc would be rolling around.
Read this report a bit ago, one said 75 mph, another said 100mph, not suprised CNN would say115. Probably a gust front in front of a aquall line. Really not a serious event for the ship, only for the pax because of all the loose gear moving about.
M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:25   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: From CNN: Several passengers hurt as cruise ship tilts when hit by sudden 115 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
But white squalls don't exist!!
Dunno what colour it was, it was 2am on a moonless night..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:54   #26

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

To call these cruise ships "streamlined" is surely a stretch of the imagination? maybe from fore or aft but from the side? Nothing short of a huge flat wall. UGLY is what I would call 'em. Also, with so many 1000's of people aboard I have no desire to ever set foot aboard any of them. Might just as well check in to an overcrowded hotel. Must be a real problem for locals when these monster ships pull in to a small sea-side town. Also, did you ever notice how the stores in those towns all sell the same 'touristy' junk made in China … no matter where you go?

Best cruise I ever took was with a small cruise line called "Uncruise", based in Seattle, who use small ships & cruise places like the Galapagos Islands. The boat we were on had a maximum of 38 passengers aboard for a ratio of about 3:1 passengers to crew. Got to know most of the folk over the course of the week, wonderful experience, well informed naturalist guides, wonderful food etc. & no, we didn't need to pack evening dress etc. just casual dress for the occasion. It's a fact that the folk on that cruise were interested in the 'real' wild-life on the islands, not the wild-life aboard a huge cruise ship. Check 'em out if you like the idea of small cruise ships.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:25   #27

Boat: Baba 40

Coincidentally, we were reading about it as she docked across from us in Port Canaveral. Grabbed the binoculars to check for ‘offerings’ along the hull.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 16:39   #28

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillr View Post
ABC Good Morning America today. Lots of passenger video clips. They say 45 degrees for 5 minutes. That must be close to a capsize. I wonder if they do stability tests on these impossibly huge ugly vessels.
I've done a few trips on the big cruise ships and I get the creeps when I feel a list of more than about 10 degrees, since normally they are so stable. Think I would panic if it actually got over 30 degrees. Having said that, the video does not support anything close to 45 or even 30 degrees. The guys are still just sitting in their chairs. But if furniture was sliding, it must have been more than 20 degrees and very scary.

I am willing to venture that if you take a non-sailor out in your boat, and get it heeled to 25 degrees which is about the limit on most modern boats for comfort and good sailing, and you ask any non-sailor how much the boat is heeling or listing, you will usually get an answer of about 45 degrees.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 19:13   #29

Quote:
I thought radar warned folks about things like this.. or so folk keep saying..
Please , tell me how radar shows us when a big wind gust is going to strike . I really need to know !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 19:59   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
From CNN: Several passengers hurt as cruise ship tilts when hit by sudden 115 mph gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Please , tell me how radar shows us when a big wind gust is going to strike . I really need to know !

This is the SE US when a front comes through you see a line of clouds. Usually extreme winds accompany the front.

Although I think Boatie was being sarcastic
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruise ship