Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2020, 19:15   #31

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Fiji to Bundaberg September

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The way I read this https://www.noonsite.com/news/austra...by-case-basis/ Bundaberg is currently the only port of entry, however time at sea counts towards quarantine.

I'd be up for the trip if I could get out of Victoria........

You could just go to North Korea.... https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/...14-p55luj.html
Hi mate, I was put in contact with Qld health by borderforce, see below:

The information below is current as of the time of sending. Please refer to the relevant websites for any updates.
Under the*Self-quarantine for Persons Arriving in Queensland From Overseas Direction (No. 5), a person who arrives in Queensland from overseas is required to quarantine in Government Nominated Accommodation for 14 days at their own expense.
Sea time is not automatically counted towards the quarantine period for recreational/private vessels. With this in mind, you may apply for a Chief Health Officer exemption to recognise time spent at sea, and/or serve the quarantine period on board your vessel. Exemption applications can be made via*Queensland Health’s COVID-19 Exemption and Waiver Service.
Any request for exemption must include sufficient information to support the request. Queensland’s Chief Health Officer will consider exemption applications on a case by case basis.
This is notwithstanding the requirements of the process of Department of Home Affairs and the Australian Border Force which would also need to be followed.
I hope the above information is of use.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 07:25   #32

We all hope a vaccine will appear within 6 to 9 months. I made passage Vanuatu to Bundaberg during October 11 to 20 and found winds light until rounding the top end of New Cal. Then we had NE 15 to 20. Later in November vessels coming out of Noumea encountered storms necessitating heaving to and or use of a sea anchor. So earlier is better then of course cyclone season is around the corner. But . . . I would stay put until COVID resolves. The Fijians are welcoming as we write so put the boat in a pit for cyclone season and await a better time
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 10:51   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

My brother and I sailed from Fiji to Bundaberg around November some years ago and sailed past the south eastern shoals of New Caledonia, where there are some shallows spots even several miles off shore.

I did not think much about it until we were overcome by a strong northerly front that blasted through for about three days. The seas that we encountered were some of the worst of my entire sailing career... I wrote in my daily log afterwards , "These waves were true gray beards" we were terrified and especially after dark when we could not see them, but could hear these seas rushing up like locomotives, and crashing into our home built thirty one footer.

We were running under bare poles with two large car tires streaming aft to keep her stern to the seas. My taffrail was stove in and spray dodger window was torn out, but we made it, and I looked closely at my admiralty chart that I was using to navigate (this was in around 1988 btw) and discovered several shallow spots on the ocean floor, which accounted for the large steep waves.... So, my advice to you is to study these underwater shoals and give them a very healthy wide berth...We loved Bundaberg, the Burnett river and the sweet people of Bundaberg, and the rum But do take care in this area mentioned above......
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 14:46   #34

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Stay in Fiji, friend just arrived in Southport this week from Fiji, four police put him in a paddy wagon straight to a quarantine hotel, he cannot leave the room for 2 weeks. Was so rushed off boat was not allowed to sort food in fridge or organise his boat properly for 2 weeks alone at the quarantine wharf. Add up all the expenses $1400 wharf fee, $2000*2 hotel fee, plus orange disposal fee $150 and others, he is up for just under $10k.
He not a happy Chappy
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 15:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhunter1097 View Post
Stay in Fiji, friend just arrived in Southport this week from Fiji, four police put him in a paddy wagon straight to a quarantine hotel, he cannot leave the room for 2 weeks. Was so rushed off boat was not allowed to sort food in fridge or organise his boat properly for 2 weeks alone at the quarantine wharf. Add up all the expenses $1400 wharf fee, $2000*2 hotel fee, plus orange disposal fee $150 and others, he is up for just under $10k.
He not a happy Chappy
We have seriously lost the plot. Its actually not ok.
Old 21-08-2020, 15:17   #36

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhunter1097 View Post
He not a happy Chappy
So, if this is what happened (assume it did) did not your buddy inquire about sailing to Australia before embarking? This almost sounds like a Zatara approach. Just go. Not sure I have much sympathy.
Old 21-08-2020, 15:18   #37

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dale, in case staying in Fiji is an option, take a look here: ENSO Outlook – an alert system for the El Niño–Southern Oscillation

We have a La Nina alert, now. It is 70% chance of more cyclones this season, according to the b.o.m. site.

Ann
Old 21-08-2020, 15:27   #38

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...obart/12578180
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 16:51   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Dale, in case staying in Fiji is an option, take a look here: ENSO Outlook – an alert system for the El Niño–Southern Oscillation

We have a La Nina alert, now. It is 70% chance of more cyclones this season, according to the b.o.m. site.

Ann
Hi Ann, yes saw that. Predicted above normal cyclone activity for fiji this year.

I'm heading home in 3 weeks, just dealing with the formalities.
Old 21-08-2020, 16:53   #40

Anyone else that's thinking of heading home from the Pacific should contact John

downunderrally@gmail.com

I just had a very positive conversation with him, he has a little more insight into what's happening regarding officialdom....good bloke as well.
Old 21-08-2020, 16:55   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
So, if this is what happened (assume it did) did not your buddy inquire about sailing to Australia before embarking? This almost sounds like a Zatara approach. Just go. Not sure I have much sympathy.
Theres a couple of reasons the gold coast is not the best place to enter, I'll be heading to Bundaberg. It would suit me better to go to the Gold coast.
Old 21-08-2020, 18:03   #42

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Theres a couple of reasons the gold coast is not the best place to enter, I'll be heading to Bundaberg. It would suit me better to go to the Gold coast.
Definitely safer weather wise. Especially if you are single handed. Been a bizarre winter season in Queensland especially the South East. Lots of strong westerlies & East Coast lows.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 18:10   #43

Boat: Island Packet 40

Plus there's a state election coming up in Queensland and they want to exploit the covid thing to the limit for political purposes. Already happening in NT and WA.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 18:27   #44

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

John Hembrow of "THE GO WEST RALLY" is gathering names of Yachties who are stuck in Australia due to Covid. Trying to get the Immi department to be a bit more generous in this hard time. I think this would be a great discussion thread as well. Having a bit of a time figuring out how to start a new thread. Anybody help me with this....
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 19:35   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo1404 View Post
Definitely safer weather wise. Especially if you are single handed. Been a bizarre winter season in Queensland especially the South East. Lots of strong westerlies & East Coast lows.
I've been watching, I see westerlies between Qld and new cal now. Also I haven't had the set and forget trades across the Pacific either.

Tags
Fiji