Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 06:04   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Dorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Jarrett Bay on the core creek canal can haul you if you can get on their schedule and under a 65 foot bridge.

I would consider dropping the rig (shouldn't take more than a couple hours) and heading further inland or north. Heck, you could get a long way, without that mast. Take it with you or leave it at the yard to be picked up on your way back.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:15   #77

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

Quote:
Jarrett Bay on the core creek canal can haul you if you can get on their schedule and under a 65 foot bridge.
Sorry - should have included the fact that we have a 72 foot air draft.
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:22   #78

Boat: a sailing boat

Damn that's much surge for an area where water can flow in and out freely.

Salt water so there will be huge loss to all devices and infrastructure.

Heart breaking images.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:26   #79

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Terrible news for all the local citizens of North Abaco- Dorian has nearly stalled over northern Abaco. Foxtown & Coopers Town have been in the eyewall for over 12 hours. These used to be our reliable locations to re-fuel on trips across the Little Bahama Bank. Cruisers should plan to support these communities as they recover, either thru direct contributions to aid agencies now, or purchases from local vendors as you travel thru this area this winter.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:38   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Terrible news for all the local citizens of North Abaco- Dorian has nearly stalled over northern Abaco. Foxtown & Coopers Town have been in the eyewall for over 12 hours. These used to be our reliable locations to re-fuel on trips across the Little Bahama Bank. Cruisers should plan to support these communities as they recover, either thru direct contributions to aid agencies now, or purchases from local vendors as you travel thru this area this winter.

Very good advice. As someone who lives and works in the BVI, and who endured Irma, Maria, and their collective aftermath (ongoing but in pretty decent shape, now) support in the form of doing business with local vendors is a huge contribution. Outsiders may not think of it, but otherwise there are NO jobs. The money that comes in from visitors circulates many times and is an incredibly important thing, maybe more so than contributions to aid agencies, which is not to diminish the importance of those people, as well. Jobs are not only important for income, but for morale, self respect, you name it. Everyone benefit. Even the rich guy with the supermarket has no job when no one can buy his goods and is dependent upon aid packages from outside. I can guarantee the people will be amazingly welcoming and appreciative. So, ignore the state of the infrastructure, which will be in a shambles for a long time, and visit! And don't be like some folks who visited the BVI and complained they were "offended" by the state of affairs, shortly after Irma, because they were on vacation.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:45   #81

Boat: MacGregor 26

Any word on how the charter fleets did? With this much warning I'd hope they were able to get most of the boats out of there.

I hadn't been to Abaco yet, was hoping to soon. Such a shame. But it should get rebuilt fresh and clean in time
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 15:14   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Abaco's took a whopper of a hit.....Hope Town, Marsh Harbor, Guana, Man-o-War....Green Turtle...Treasure Cay...Coopers Town and on down the line...video is surfacing depicting total destruction. Some video's are truly heartbreaking.

Recovery here will be decades in my opinion....some of those quaint old houses were just completely obliterated.....never to be rebuilt again....no idea where some of those residents are going to live for a while.

Say what you want, but the Abaco's is tourist/yachtie/charter/fishermen supported....there is no real economy there besides the visitor/yachtie crowd.

And with all the infra-structure destroyed, there will be little to attract a visiting yachtie/tourist to the Abaco's for some time.

Not sure, how the Abaco's are going to recover from this. 185 mph wind pretty much guarantees total destruction. I'm sure more and more data will surface soon depicting scenes of destruction.

As a frequent visitor there, the Abaco's hold a soft spot in my heart. Not sure how support can be harvested to help out there.

In the interim, Florida is holding on by the shoe laces....and NC doing some serious knee bending.

This is unbelievable hurricane....certainly one for the record books !
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 15:25   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
Any word on how the charter fleets did? With this much warning I'd hope they were able to get most of the boats out of there.

I hadn't been to Abaco yet, was hoping to soon. Such a shame. But it should get rebuilt fresh and clean in time
From The Sunsail website

Quote:
Due to extensive damage from Hurricane Dorian our Abacos base is closed for the time being. Communications on the ground are currently very limited and our priority is establishing the safety of our team locally. We will be contacting customers with future departures in the coming days as we establish the situation. We thank you all for your concern and well wishes.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 17:01   #84

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I just got a relayed report from Man-o-war cay. No deaths , several serious injuries including a broken neck, being evacuated by USCG. One house left with a roof. No boats in the harbor survived. Also a report that Nippers is gone and the dune it was on is now flat. That is seriously not good news as that dune protected the village. I saw a picture of marsh harbor and no boats were floating,though there were a few inverted hull visible. I guess that tells us what happened to the charter fleets there.

Very very sad news for the people of the Abacos. I'm told there is a rescue fleet being organized at Spanish wells and will head out once seas and winds subside.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 17:41   #85

Sorry for all affected in any way by Dorian. I guess there there will be another huge batch of salvage boats on the market soon...
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 17:43   #86

If I'm understanding correctly Freeport is even worse than the Abacos for the hit they took. Not sure about deaths etc though.

The video view from Lena Chandler's second story in Freeport Bahamas. her family is on the second floor 12 ft up and the water is a foot below the floor now. Next move is the roof.

https://komonews.com/news/nation-wor...Sdwjjv79DhsB3A

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 18:01   #87

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

the problem with these poor countrys is the population will move and never come back....like a previous poster said ...it will take decades to recover...I really hope the people will be ok and the death toll does not rise....they are so kind and welcoming....all I do is think of the hell there in
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 19:02   #88

Quote:
I just got a relayed report from Man-o-war cay. No deaths , several serious injuries including a broken neck, being evacuated by USCG. One house left with a roof. No boats in the harbor survived. Also a report that Nippers is gone and the dune it was on is now flat. That is seriously not good news as that dune protected the village. I saw a picture of marsh harbor and no boats were floating,though there were a few inverted hull visible. I guess that tells us what happened to the charter fleets there.

Very very sad news for the people of the Abacos. I'm told there is a rescue fleet being organized at Spanish wells and will head out once seas and winds subside.
Wow.....that dune Nippers was on was pretty high too. Geeez-us
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PEDTUzuSTBa6tMVwEW4pqw.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	199090  
Old 02-09-2019, 22:00   #89

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

HOLD FAST Bahamians HOLD FAST

Our thoughts are with you and our support is coming.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 22:21   #90
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I don't know the Bahamas but from what I read, it is mostly low and flat with about 200 ft at highest point.

In other words, no protection from a Cat 5

With the forewarning of this storm, why was it not possible to evacuate the 400k population to the mainland?

I know, costly but given the huge risk to life 5 big cruise ships packed with refugies could have done the job.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote