Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2014, 21:38   #1

Boat: Dufour 12000ct 45 Ketch
California coast Weather Forecasts

Hi everyone,

So I am a getting closer to my tentative date of May 30th to bring my boat down to SD from SF. Even though I have about 3 weeks to go, the weather around here is making me nervous. i.e. Santa Anas in May?? Anyways, I wanted to see if anyone has suggestions for getting good weather info (other than NWS) and extended coastal and offshore forecasts for the bay area, central and southern california. Thanks! -- Phil
SailingTerrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:03   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: California coast weather forecasts

Phil,

All I ever use is NOAA for surface charts, 500 mb charts and forecasts. Very accurate 1-2 days out and pretty darn good for 3-5 days as well. Remember, you can harbor hop all the way to SD if necessary. I sometimes look at Passageweather.com for the pretty, color-coded GRIBS. We have been getting a lot of Santa Anas, but again, you can see them coming for at least a day or 2. Plenty of time to take appropriate action.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:15   #3

Mike's right. Don't sweat it.

Right now the high is building over N California, and the winds are very heavy all over. But this happens on a regular basis, so should be no surprise. Have you read Kimball Livingston's Sailing The Bay? Or Harold Gilliam's wonderful Weather of The Bay Area? They explain everything you need to know - the how and why.

It will calm down later in the week. I'm sailing to Monterey late next week, should be fine.

Don't sail on a schedule. Don't sail with a mainsail up around Pt. Conception unless you need to motor, then having a steadying sail up makes sense. Jib only downwind is so much safer and a more comfortable ride. For the past 20 years, whenever I've crossed The Slot from Pt. Blount back to Alameda, we drop the main and have a really nice, easy ride. Same idea.

By the time you get south, the Santa Anas will be over for this year.

Don;t worry about the weather, you can't do a damned thing about it. Wanna worry: worry about your boat, fix everything and go.

Have a great time, safe journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 19:23   #4

Boat: Dufour 12000ct 45 Ketch

Thanks Mike and Stu!
SailingTerrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:24   #5

Boat: Lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Phil,

All I ever use is NOAA for surface charts, 500 mb charts and forecasts. Very accurate 1-2 days out and pretty darn good for 3-5 days as well. Remember, you can harbor hop all the way to SD if necessary. I sometimes look at Passageweather.com for the pretty, color-coded GRIBS. We have been getting a lot of Santa Anas, but again, you can see them coming for at least a day or 2. Plenty of time to take appropriate action.
Mike
Thanks for the lead to Passagweather.com.
Easy to get to and follow.
Brown Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:31   #6

Boat: Lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Mike's right. Don't sweat it.

Right now the high is building over N California, and the winds are very heavy all over. But this happens on a regular basis, so should be no surprise. Have you read Kimball Livingston's Sailing The Bay? Or Harold Gilliam's wonderful Weather of The Bay Area? They explain everything you need to know - the how and why.

It will calm down later in the week. I'm sailing to Monterey late next week, should be fine.

Don't sail on a schedule. Don't sail with a mainsail up around Pt. Conception unless you need to motor, then having a steadying sail up makes sense. Jib only downwind is so much safer and a more comfortable ride. For the past 20 years, whenever I've crossed The Slot from Pt. Blount back to Alameda, we drop the main and have a really nice, easy ride. Same idea.

By the time you get south, the Santa Anas will be over for this year.

Don;t worry about the weather, you can't do a damned thing about it. Wanna worry: worry about your boat, fix everything and go.

Have a great time, safe journey.
Stu,
Thanks for the lead on the weather books.
Brown Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, forecast, weather