Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 16:42   #1

Boat: Oyster 56
Bundaberg, AU during tropical season

Hi, i am currently cruising in Fiji and i will need to leave the sailboat during hurricane season in NZ or Australia for few months. I have an option on hard in Bundaberg, but i am still concerned this area might be affected by the cyclones. Could somwone tell me how Bundaberg is affected or where in AU it would be considered safe during tropical season. I wold prefer to stay on hard, not too far south, sailboat is 56ft.
s57ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 16:52   #2

Re: Bundaberg, AU during tropical season

The weather will always do what it likes, but you should be OK on the hard.

Leaving it in the water is an entirely different story. The river floods quite often in storm season.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 16:54   #3

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Bundaberg is below the line but, can still get the tail end of cyclones.
Even Brisbane, northern NSW can get the tail end and like anywhere, can still get near cyclone strength storms that sweep through fast.

Speak to marina there, they will have all the information you need.
Google will also have plenty of information on recent damaging weather events.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 16:55   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The Burnett River floods in big wets. I am not sure about this, so you'll need more input, but I believe the boats on the hard at Bundaberg Port Marina all survived the last flood.

If you have insurance, read your policy, some insurances, to be valid, would require you to be further south. There is hardstand storage at the Boat Works near Southport; also at Ship Lifts on the Brisbane R. A smaller facility, and further south, is at the marina at Yamba, at the mouth of the Clarence R. There is also hardstand storage at Gorjac's, in the same harbor as Gladstone Port Marina, but that, too, may be too far north for you.

Of all those, I think Boat Works is possibly the most user friendly, and they can handle a boat your size without even a deep breath.

Ann
Old 07-07-2018, 17:02   #5

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The Burnett River floods in big wets. I am not sure about this, so you'll need more input, but I believe the boats on the hard at Bundaberg Port Marina all survived the last flood.
They survived the flood but pretty sure a couple were blown over.
I could be wrong.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:48   #6

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

In 2010/11 tropical cyclone season I was looking for a slip in the Budaberg Marine or a space on land on the opposite bank of the river. Fortunately I read the book cruising the East coast and found that near a river it can be dangerous for the boat as the rivers are prone for flooding.
So I decided for land space in Thornlands Marina just south of Cleveland. In this dry yard my boat was safe even there was flooding on the East coast of Australia and many boats were damaged by debris or driven away from the moorings. A friend of mine who's boat was in the Marina on bank of the River in Bundaberg had only minor damages as he tied his boat to a tree.

Good luck
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:23   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

The Bundeburg dry storage yard is pretty much above the flood area of the river. It seems secure and well run. Our boat is there now as we spend time back in the US.
We had to get out insurance company to move the storm line by .5 degs. If you pay in advance and take advantage of some of the offered discounts, the price is pretty decent.

As mentioned above, I would not leave a boat in the water there.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:25   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I'm following the steel trawler rebuild of some young people who keep the vessel in Bundaberg. The YouTube channel is called "Building Brupeg" and, besides being very interesting to watch, suggests they've spent enough time there in the yard to give you the information you seek. https://www.buildingbrupeg.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq9...qfhPKkKFvFkY4A

Damien Ashton is very approachable, I suspect you'll find.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 14:20   #9

Boat: Brady Passage Maker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by s57ra View Post
Hi, i am currently cruising in Fiji and i will need to leave the sailboat during hurricane season in NZ or Australia for few months. I have an option on hard in Bundaberg, but i am still concerned this area might be affected by the cyclones. Could somwone tell me how Bundaberg is affected or where in AU it would be considered safe during tropical season. I wold prefer to stay on hard, not too far south, sailboat is 56ft.
Hi S51ra,
I am based in Hervey Bay just down the road from Bundy.
Yes Bundy has been hit by cyclones in the past.
Bundy is now within the the new cyclones zone.
Insurance companies have lowered the cut off line from 30 deg to 25 deg. The 25 deg brings U down to the top of Fraser Island.

Brady 50
Grumps
Brady 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 14:51   #10

Boat: Olympic 40 On 851431

Bundy is a great safe haven when on the hard but but expensive on the water is a different story weathered a tail end of a cyclone March 2014 Great Marina Staff would be worth looking at the Gold Coast plenty of marine berths in the Coomera river you will easily find something for about a $100 au per week mono hull 15m berth easy access to boat works and Gold Coast city marina
Pm me if wanting contact details there is a freehold marina not listed that offers good rates full time security and management team to look out for your vessel
Dash-Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 14:54   #11

We've been assuming that the hardstand option is at the Port Bundaberg marina.

There is also a small hardstand area close to town, on the North side of the river. This would certainly NOT be a good place to leave a boat long term over summer. It's right down by the river and would be very prone to flooding. A boat could easily be washed out of there.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 16:11   #12

Boat: Norfolk 43

Since 1990 our home port has been Bundaberg so here is a quick history lesson. There has been 4 floods (from memory)since 1990 with the major ones being in 2011 and 2013. In 1992 the tail of a cyclone came near and knocked a few boats over at the now dismantled marina at the mouth of the river. To my knowledge the Port Marina, a very professional marina a few miles up river has never had a vessel blown over. The river floods up river, by the time it reaches the port it only rises a few feet although mid river the current can be in excess of 10 kts. Other than the 1992 incident, which was more the marina's fault than the wind, it has never been the wind that has caused the incidents. It has been the rain falling up river due to the rainy remnants of a cyclone. In 2013, besides falling upriver, the rain fell directly on Bundaberg itself with the river rising immediately. Before there was always 2 to 4 days warning of a flood as the rising waters made there way downstream. Over 100 boats were lost. End of history lesson.

The unfortunate fact is that when leaving your boat for any length of time (here I mean beyond foreseeable weather events) always carries risk. We have weathered cyclones in Japan, Fiji and American Samoa, always being with the boat, and I put it down as much to luck as to preparation.

For those with long memories the floods in Kerikeri, NZ in the 1970's left 35ft yachts hung 30ft up in trees. No place is completely safe. Brisbane lost some boats in a flood less than 8 years ago. It's a matter of reducing the risk to what is acceptable to you. Being on the hard in a well run hard stand lessens the risk immensely.

My personal advise for what its worth. You would be mad to leave your boat in the water at Bundaberg if planning to go away for any length of time. On the hard at the Bundaberg Port Marina would be a viable option. On the hard at Gladstone could also be a viable option. Tin Can Bay has a hardstand which would be as safe, if not safer, than either of the previous mentioned but I know very little about long term stays at this one.
Fine Tolerance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 16:22   #13

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by s57ra View Post

Several hardstand options in Whangarei NZ and no possibility of a cyclone overhead, but possible rain and wind from a cyclone tail. No issues on the hardstands there that I know of. But it does mean a passage to NZ rather the AU.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 16:47   #14

Boat: Brady Passage Maker 50'
Red face Re: Bundaberg, AU during tropical season

Sorry every body. I got my last message wrong.
I said: Insurance companies have lowered the cut off line from 30 deg to 25 deg. The 25 deg brings U down to the top of Fraser Island.

I should have said the insurance companies have lowered the line to just 25 deg south.

Don't get old it's no fun!!:
Brady 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 17:38   #15

Boat: Cloud Catamaran, Cloud 9, 10.6M, Rainbow Dreaming

Hi I keep my boat in Tin Can bay and there’s never been a problem the marina has a good hard stand and in water is also ok. We are just South of the cyclone line
Michael s/c Rainbow Dreaming
mjcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal