Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2017, 07:40   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
re: Boot Key Harbor and "IRMA"

From looking at post Irma satellite pictures of Boot Key it appears all mooring balls are still intact. This tells me the moorings held but the lines attaching the boats to the moorings failed.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 12:55   #17

Boat: Custom 34 ft., sail-assisted trawler, wood hull, built 2005

Further info- on NOAAs satellite view, https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html
scale down to the bridge in Book Key Harbor and you can also see boats wedged up against it.
Briney Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 13:27   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
From looking at post Irma satellite pictures of Boot Key it appears all mooring balls are still intact. This tells me the moorings held but the lines attaching the boats to the moorings failed.
Were there still boats on moorings? Do you have a link to the sat photos or is this a service you pay for?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 13:30   #19
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Were there still boats on moorings? Do you have a link to the sat photos or is this a service you pay for?

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-09-2017, 16:11   #20

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks for the link. Looks like a lot of boats made it but a lot didn't. It appears to be a lot safer at a dock than a mooring or anchored. I agree that all of the moorings still seem to be in place. Great news there.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 16:24   #21

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
From the looks of the pix the houseboat anchored East of the outside dinghy docks broke lose, took out the dinghy docks, and that mess took out several boats. If you look closely at the pix you can see the house boat sticking up with it's side dug in the bottom and a mass of boats in the mangroves behind it.

I would bet that while some lines did break more damage was done by the boats that broke lose hitting other boats and breaking them lose. As an aside did you see Charles seems to have found SOF in pix by the seaplane hanger in Key West; but clearly it will be some time before he can get there. Any news on SMJ?
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 19:01   #22
smj

Re: Boot Key Harbor and "IRMA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
From the looks of the pix the houseboat anchored East of the outside dinghy docks broke lose, took out the dinghy docks, and that mess took out several boats. If you look closely at the pix you can see the house boat sticking up with it's side dug in the bottom and a mass of boats in the mangroves behind it.

I would bet that while some lines did break more damage was done by the boats that broke lose hitting other boats and breaking them lose. As an aside did you see Charles seems to have found SOF in pix by the seaplane hanger in Key West; but clearly it will be some time before he can get there. Any news on SMJ?

I saw SOF, sad sight. SMJ is fine and we will be heading that way in a couple of weeks. How did BS do?
Old 14-09-2017, 19:31   #23

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
I saw SOF, sad sight. SMJ is fine and we will be heading that way in a couple of weeks. How did BS do?
Less a gallon of water leaked in to the locker thing below the shift levers that the shift lever cables go through and aft starboard locker below the aft starboard berth other cables pass through. There was also lots of leaves and small branches on the deck and in the cockpit. I had a new bimini built but it was delivered shortly before the storm so I did not put it up yet. The water level dropped lower than anyone had ever seen it and all the boats in the harbor were aground in the mud which probably helped reduce damage.

https://www.facebook.com/gene.kochan...0235057454838/
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 06:26   #24

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Photos coming out of the mooring field/anchorage:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3394...4793669701135/
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 16:25   #25

Boat: Vagabond 52 staysail schooner

A LOT of damage. Vast majority (hundreds) broke from moorings. Tangled loose vessels swept the harbor in both directions as wind direction changed. A number of boats have not been located. Some boats survived in the mangroves of whisky creek. Many either slammed the bridge or were driven ashore, some lifted onto land and into mangroves. An unknown number of boats sank including ours. Most mooring balls still in place. Go to facebook boot key harbor cruisers group. Aerial views and video and many photos.
gwbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 17:44   #26

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Less a gallon of water leaked in to the locker thing below the shift levers that the shift lever cables go through and aft starboard locker below the aft starboard berth other cables pass through. There was also lots of leaves and small branches on the deck and in the cockpit. I had a new bimini built but it was delivered shortly before the storm so I did not put it up yet. The water level dropped lower than anyone had ever seen it and all the boats in the harbor were aground in the mud which probably helped reduce damage.

https://www.facebook.com/gene.kochan...0235057454838/
I had the same thing happen on my seawind, although it was about six gallons. Unfortunately that is where I store all of my motor and other spares and hardware. Seems our cockpit drains filled with debris which turned the cockpit into a shallow pool. Water ran into stbd hull thru the motor cables. That was the only "damage" we had. Lesson learned next time to empty that compartment.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 18:49   #27

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbull View Post
A LOT of damage. Vast majority (hundreds) broke from moorings. Tangled loose vessels swept the harbor in both directions as wind direction changed. A number of boats have not been located. Some boats survived in the mangroves of whisky creek. Many either slammed the bridge or were driven ashore, some lifted onto land and into mangroves. An unknown number of boats sank including ours. Most mooring balls still in place. Go to facebook boot key harbor cruisers group. Aerial views and video and many photos.
Do you get a sense that the amount of damage is going to re-invigorate the Florida anti-anchorage campaign? Even in the boot key Facebook group, I already some finger pointing going on amongst boaters.

Not to be crass about it or anything, but people are going to be looking for someone to blame, and they're probably not pointing the finger at climate change. The local government might see it as a chance at a 'blank slate'.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote