Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 21:30   #211

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Vesper Marine AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
Thanks guys. Keep those ideas and suggestions coming.... might not always seem like I'm listening, but I am
Hi Jeff,

While you are at it, how about incorporating the new protocols for class B systems, especially the more frequent transmissions? I suspect that that could be accomplished by a software update, even in our older Vision models.

Upping the power would likely require hardware changes... I'm kinda surprised that these mods were not incorporated in your new version of vision (or are they and I just missed it in the blurb?).

Jim
Old 07-07-2018, 21:39   #212

Boat: 31ft tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Add a solid state compass to your transponders.

Keep ahead of the competition.
A heading sensor would be an awesome addition. It would help with accurate tracking and over NMEA it would benefit other electronics like Radar object tracking, etc.
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 21:48   #213

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Thanks guys. Keep those ideas and suggestions coming.... might not always seem like I'm listening, but I am
OK, Why can't all AIS transponders include an AIS SART function ?

NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 22:34   #214
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
OK, Why can't all AIS transponders include an AIS SART function ?
Because it isn't compliant with the standards and regulations and so it can't be type approved or certified for use in the USA, Canada, Europe, Australia, NZ and most other places that rely on those certifications.

Ok, a little snide I admit... but true.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 22:37   #215
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hi Jeff,

While you are at it, how about incorporating the new protocols for class B systems, especially the more frequent transmissions? I suspect that that could be accomplished by a software update, even in our older Vision models.

Upping the power would likely require hardware changes... I'm kinda surprised that these mods were not incorporated in your new version of vision (or are they and I just missed it in the blurb?).

Jim
Unfortunately, you can't do one without the other. The H/W requirements are significantly different so that's why we didn't do it in the new version of Vision which couldn't accommodate it physically.
Old 15-07-2018, 22:37   #216
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoos View Post
A heading sensor would be an awesome addition. It would help with accurate tracking and over NMEA it would benefit other electronics like Radar object tracking, etc.
Great idea!
Old 16-07-2018, 01:29   #217

Boat: Lagoon 42

Ive been using the xb8000 for a year now , awesome piece of equipment

I just struggle with the anchor alarm
1)
i put the anchor alarm on , on my iphone, put the iphone on the charger and the iphone stays ‘on’ most of the time and the anchor alarm works as long as the iphone doesnt go to sleep and the horn goes off when our boat goes outside the set perimeter

Sometimes (i dont know why) the iphone goes to ‘sleep mode’ and the screen goes dark .

Does the anchor alarm still work when the iphone goes to sleep ?

2)
I have an external alarm , not connected yet, if i connect the external buzzer , can i set the anchor alarm on my phone and then turn the phone off ? Will the xb8000 anchor alarm sound through the external buzzer once its set to ‘on’ ?

I love the anchor alarm feature but as my phone sometimes goes to sleep while using the app I don’t trust it yet as i havent been able to find instructions

Thanks
Rene
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 14:16   #218
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
Does the anchor alarm still work when the iphone goes to sleep ?
This continues to be a source of frustration for us. Since day 1 our iOS app has been able to receive alarms when the app is in the background but Apple refused to allow us to release it. We appealed their decision several times and sent them videos and drawings but to no avail. They insist that we must use Apple's push notifications but fail to understand why that can't work on a boat in the middle of the ocean.

So, unfortunately the only advice I can give is to use an Android phone for this as our Android app doesn't have this restriction.

Or better yet this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
I have an external alarm , not connected yet, if i connect the external buzzer , can i set the anchor alarm on my phone and then turn the phone off ? Will the xb8000 anchor alarm sound through the external buzzer once its set to ‘on’ ?
Yes, and that's the idea. The XB-8000 controls the external alarm itself and does not rely on the phone, or anything else, except to set the anchor alarm. I like to say you can use your phone to set the anchor watch and then toss your phone overboard

If you also connect the momentary switch that comes with the XB-8000 (or if your XB-8000 is older you can get an alarm/switch kit for it) then you can silence the alarm with that switch or use the switch to set the alarm. You choose the switch function in the app or our vmAIS PC/Mac program. BTW: The XB-8000 will also trigger the external alarm on an MOB (AIS MOB required) or can be used for a collision warning all on its own too.

Jeff
Old 17-07-2018, 15:01   #219

Boat: Lagoon 42

Thanks Jeff !
I’ll start hooking up the external VM alarm asap , we also have OceanSignal MOB’s so all the more reason to get it to work as intended

Rgds
Rene

SV Blue Pearl : a Dutch family sailing – a Dutch family sailing
Old 26-07-2018, 20:39   #220

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Because it isn't compliant with the standards and regulations and so it can't be type approved or certified for use in the USA, Canada, Europe, Australia, NZ and most other places that rely on those certifications.

Ok, a little snide I admit... but true.
Is there a reason that it's not allowed ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 05:28   #221

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
This continues to be a source of frustration for us. Since day 1 our iOS app has been able to receive alarms when the app is in the background but Apple refused to allow us to release it. We appealed their decision several times and sent them videos and drawings but to no avail. They insist that we must use Apple's push notifications but fail to understand why that can't work on a boat in the middle of the ocean.

So, unfortunately the only advice I can give is to use an Android phone for this as our Android app doesn't have this
Jeff

Don’t push notifications work locally if there is no internet connection?
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 02:04   #222
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Is there a reason that it's not allowed ?
The reason the standards exist is to ensure that AIS units interoperate with one another and don't cause interference, for example by transmitting when they aren't supposed to, and to ensure that other vessels fully understand their transmissions and can plot them correctly. There are different standards for each type of AIS device (Class A, B, AtoN, SART, base station, etc). By complying with the standards and having your equipment independently tested and then USCG & FCC type approved you ensure to both yourself (the manufacturer) and the public that at the least your equipment won't make a hash out of a critical safety infrastructure.

An AIS-SART operates using a different VDL access scheme (in essence this is the means by which an AIS determines when to transmit). Because the SART spec is designed for devices which don't have receivers (hand held battery powered units in your lifejacket) they can't synchronize with any other AIS devices. Rather they use a burst mode intended to maximize their chances of being received but by its nature can cause interference.

The overall AIS compliance regime is complex and expensive to comply with so maybe that's why this manufacturer, and even some other well known brands, have chosen not to. For this product and some others, I see they even put an FCC declaration of conformity logo in their instruction manual or on the device but don't have the other required FCC labeling. Putting the FCC logo on when you don't have FCC equipment authorization is illegal. And end user import or use of non-FCC approved AIS devices within the USA is illegal. You can see all FCC approved equipment at https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm.

I saw recently an article that the FCC notified Amazon and E-Bay about fraudulent use of the FCC compliance logo for certain other classes of equipment and that equipment has since been removed from sale.

This is somewhat related to a discussion in another thread about using Class B AIS to mark fishing nets. Indeed, it's a great idea to mark fishing nets but using the wrong device can cause confusion on other vessels about what they are seeing because each is plotted differently. Is it a vessel? Is it a net? Is it a SART? I'm absolutely all for using AIS to increase safety but it can't be the wild west either. If it makes sense to have a SART button on a Class B then the manufacturer should work with IALA and the standards groups to adopt that. Same for fishing nets and I believe we need a standard within AIS for marking non-vessel objects like them. The problem though is it takes time for the display systems (MFD's, ECDIS, software, etc) to roll out these sorts of changes. In fact, that's the reason an AIS MOB shows up as a vessel still on some displays.
Old 30-07-2018, 04:33   #223

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Jeff wrote:
This is somewhat related to a discussion in another thread about using Class B AIS to mark fishing nets. Indeed, it's a great idea to mark fishing nets but using the wrong device can cause confusion on other vessels about what they are seeing because each is plotted differently. Is it a vessel? Is it a net? Is it a SART?

I looked under Vesper Products for the Aton device for Marks such as nets and harbor entrances. There used to be such a product, perhaps my search was not comprehensive.
There are also "virtual" Atons. This seems to me that the us coast guard could save a lot by using these devices and techniques, but that presumes everyone has AIS and the system is sufficiently developed.
I was interested in the Vesper ATONS. How are they used and who is buying them? Every wind turbine will need on I think. For example the 4 new wind turbines for Block Island, RI.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 02:23   #224
Marine Service Provider

Yes, we make an AIS device intended for government and industry which is primarily used to create virtual AtoN's. It can autonomously transmit large numbers of these if needed. AtoN's don't appear as ships. Rather they appear with a unique symbol with different details than a ship so vessels can readily identify what it is.

They can be used to mark hazards, wrecks, aids to navigation, subsea cables & pipelines, platforms, wind farms, aquaculture, etc. For mobile applications, they're used on seismic research vessels to continuously mark their streamers that are towed miles behind.

They're also used to transmit various other types of safety related messages based on vessel behavior. For example, a ship anchoring over a cable receives a message addressed specifically to them warning them of the cable or a vessel entering a restricted zone can receive a similar message.

And a cool use was at the last two America's Cups and the most recent Volvo Ocean Race which uses them to warn spectators of the course boundaries during the in-port races and race starts. Check out the VOR video if you're interested [ignore the guy speaking ] https://www.vespermarine.com/vor-video

And yes USCG makes good use of virtual AtoN's with lots of them in many places.
Old 31-07-2018, 12:51   #225

Boat: Catalina 42

I would like to use a Wi-Fi gateway in order to interface my XB-6000 with the Vesper WatchMate App on my iPad. I've given up trying to get the AIS to work with my old Raymarine E80 via 0183...the chartplotter will freeze up, often times in high traffic areas, when running the AIS. Has anyone tried doing this with the XB-6000? I was wondering if one of these would work? NMEA Tools - NMEA0183 to Wi-Fi Gateway
waxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, ais