Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Have you ever tried TheBoatApp?
Yes 1 3.23%
No 27 87.10%
I just did 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2021, 01:18   #1
Sponsoring Vendor

New Release: TheBoatApp - Boat Maintenance & Management App

Marine Data Cloud is proud to announce the release (Version 2.0) of our WEB boat maintenance and management APP: TheBoatApp.

This platform can be accessed from a web browser and offers every aspect of your marine life, fully cataloged and organized. You can access it from anywhere in the world and enjoy sailing with less time to worry about boat chores.

Enjoy your boat with TheBoatApp and all of its features.

With TheBoatApp you can store your notes, documents, inventory, and photos on the cloud. It also allows you to share your logbook, files, checklists, assignable tasks, and alerts with your friends, family, crew members, or guests on board.

Also, you can request any new features you feel are important to make your boat experience more enjoyable.

Use the Web App to make your boat management more effective. Take advantage of a sea of features to make your boat safer to sail, easier to cruise, and preserve its integrity and value throughout the years.

Marine Data Cloud
MarineDataCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:48   #2

Re: New Release: TheBoatApp - Boat Maintenance & Management App

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDataCloud View Post
Marine Data Cloud is proud to announce the release (Version 2.0) of our WEB boat maintenance and management APP: TheBoatApp.

This platform can be accessed from a web browser and offers every aspect of your marine life, fully cataloged and organized. You can access it from anywhere in the world and enjoy sailing with less time to worry about boat chores.

Enjoy your boat with TheBoatApp and all of its features.

With TheBoatApp you can store your notes, documents, inventory, and photos on the cloud. It also allows you to share your logbook, files, checklists, assignable tasks, and alerts with your friends, family, crew members, or guests on board.

Also, you can request any new features you feel are important to make your boat experience more enjoyable.

Use the Web App to make your boat management more effective. Take advantage of a sea of features to make your boat safer to sail, easier to cruise, and preserve its integrity and value throughout the years.
Is it usable offline as well? Say, if Internet access is not always available?
scubad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:52   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

My boat project would melt the server that hosts your data. Ha ha ha.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 13:04   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubad View Post
Is it usable offline as well? Say, if Internet access is not always available?
@scubad There are Mobile apps for both Android and iOS but since these are still on v1 it is recommended it to stick to the web-access for now for getting the upgraded v2 experience. Definitely off-line access is a must-have and we are working on Mobile-2.0. We expect to have it live around the year-end (priority on logbook).

Marine Data Cloud
Old 01-09-2021, 13:09   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
My boat project would melt the server that hosts your data. Ha ha ha.
@Chotu Likely we do not charge per server/cpu/storage or even per foot! Wait... we even do not charge at all on FREE accounts that may well cover your project needs! Still, servers are there to store and process and bleed to serve requests. Let them do so and feel happy, as we do when sailing!

Marine Data Cloud
Old 01-09-2021, 15:27   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
@Chotu Likely we do not charge per server/cpu/storage or even per foot! Wait... we even do not charge at all on FREE accounts that may well cover your project needs! Still, servers are there to store and process and bleed to serve requests. Let them do so and feel happy, as we do when sailing!
It was a joke about how complicated and difficult my boat project is. I’d melt a Google data center with my project. Ha ha. I’ll take a peek at this software though. Interesting idea.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 15:46   #7

Boat: Simpson Cloud 12

@MarineDataCloud - I signed up for an account and have hit a couple bugs on the site. What's the best way to report them?
workmaster2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 16:40   #8

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

We currently use Vessel Vanguard - How does this compare?

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 16:45   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
@scubad There are Mobile apps for both Android and iOS but since these are still on v1 it is recommended it to stick to the web-access for now for getting the upgraded v2 experience. Definitely off-line access is a must-have and we are working on Mobile-2.0. We expect to have it live around the year-end (priority on logbook).
Hmmmm. Great for dock queens.

No internet, no cloud in the Caribbean. Probably other places too. An Apple update sent all my stuff to the cloud the first time we walked into a restaurant. By the time we found out we were miles away. Never got it back. Still pissed.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 08:36   #10

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Definitely looking for a nice integrated app, however, as others have noted. It would need to be fully functional offline running from a local data base I can backup locally and able to provide synchronization of the offline and online changes in a safe way which makes sense.

Basically the kind of capability provided by OneNote but with a bunch of tools specific to the boating mindset rather than just freeform text.

Have not tried the app, if it becomes useable in the middle of the ocean without internet (i.e. Starlink dies :-) ) then it would be an interesting asset for my use case.
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 01:45   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by workmaster2n View Post
@MarineDataCloud - I signed up for an account and have hit a couple bugs on the site. What's the best way to report them?

You may contact us via email at Support@MarineDataCloud.com for any glitches found (...software always has them and we make regular fixes on the ones reported by the users).

Thanking you, we look forward to your feedback.

Marine Data Cloud
Old 21-11-2021, 02:09   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
We currently use Vessel Vanguard - How does this compare?

Hello dear Tom,

Vessel Vanguard is a very good and mature piece of software. Regarding how it compares, with a price tag of 10 to 20 times higher, it is addressed to the upper market-end and professionals. We provide a "lighter" software for every sailor our there to be able to afford it.

We still have quite a road to go, including new products (the new Mobile app 2.0 and the TheBoatDB 2.0 are scheduled for release on the beginning of 2022), as well as new/improved features. We may go slower than we would like to (...we are neither Google nor Microsoft to afford unlimited resources) but we don't stop and we have always in mind to provide at least two flavours:
  1. FREE FOREVER for basic usage
  2. Very low-priced (49.90/year) for extra features and - more importantly - support the platform and future development!
Thanking you for your consideration, we wish you well with an always seaworthy boat!

Marine Data Cloud
Old 21-11-2021, 02:34   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Hmmmm. Great for dock queens.

No internet, no cloud in the Caribbean. Probably other places too. An Apple update sent all my stuff to the cloud the first time we walked into a restaurant. By the time we found out we were miles away. Never got it back. Still pissed.
Right you are and off-line capabilities is a must for... non-dock queens! On our side, we have a pretty heavy and complicated ecosystem with TheBoatDB.com, TheBoatApp.com and the mobile apps too. Each of these on its own is a handful job and our resources are finite so we prioritized and kept the focus on the web interface to set the basis of the needed features and functionalities and then migrate them to Mobile-2.0.

Why focus on the web? Many users told us that there are no web-based apps for maritime data management, that mobile apps are primarily designed for small screens and that, except trip-logging, data entry and processing takes place mostly on shore (internet connectivity). Don't you prefer to enter and manage your data on a 15" laptop screen using a physical keyboard, instead of straining your eyes on a much smaller screen and jumbling your fingers on an on-screen keyboard? Maybe I am getting older but I always take the bigger-screen & physical keyboard whenever I have a choice!

Our target has been to keep it affordable for all sailors out there, thus the FREE FOREVER version! (of course we welcome paying users that for just 49.90/year get extra features and help the platform development). Keep up with us since the Mobile-2.0 is coming up soon (logbook focused initially).

Thanking you, we wish you well with an always seaworthy boat, preferably not docked but sailing the big blue!

Marine Data Cloud
Old 21-11-2021, 02:47   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by botanybay View Post
Definitely looking for a nice integrated app, however, as others have noted. It would need to be fully functional offline running from a local data base I can backup locally and able to provide synchronization of the offline and online changes in a safe way which makes sense.

Basically the kind of capability provided by OneNote but with a bunch of tools specific to the boating mindset rather than just freeform text.

Have not tried the app, if it becomes useable in the middle of the ocean without internet (i.e. Starlink dies :-) ) then it would be an interesting asset for my use case.

As already elaborated in the last couple of posts, please bear with us for a bit longer to release Mobile-2.0! About the overall functionality, the web interface is already on version 2 and provides free-form text notes on every single item registered. You can use it from any browser, including mobile devices with smaller screens.

Based on user-feedback, we have many improvements to be implemented, including full-search on every single data-field so, like one-note, to be able to locate easily the data you are looking for. We will soon provide also the ability for the users via our support portal (Support.MarineDataCloud.com) to be able to request features they need and even run open-voting for all members to have a saying on what we should develop next for all sailors our there!

Thanking you, I wish you well with an always seaworthy boat.

Marine Data Cloud
Old 27-12-2021, 15:53   #15

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
As already elaborated in the last couple of posts, please bear with us for a bit longer to release Mobile-2.0! About the overall functionality, the web interface is already on version 2 and provides free-form text notes on every single item registered. You can use it from any browser, including mobile devices with smaller screens.

Based on user-feedback, we have many improvements to be implemented, including full-search on every single data-field so, like one-note, to be able to locate easily the data you are looking for. We will soon provide also the ability for the users via our support portal (Support.MarineDataCloud.com) to be able to request features they need and even run open-voting for all members to have a saying on what we should develop next for all sailors our there!

Thanking you, I wish you well with an always seaworthy boat.
Do you have prefilled maintenance checklist template too?
Everyone has their own checklists for maintenance which are incomplete because they just set them up for the things they know that need maintenance. But all of us experienced stuff that breaks because you simply didn’t know that needs maintenance till it broke.
I can always disable or erase stuff from that template but an as much as complete template as possible eg. Compiled together from all maintenance lists of all users would be genius.

At least since the IPad Pro 12.9 in 2017 a mobile device doesn‘t have a small screen and a lot boater incl. me are using that iPad Pro 12.9 as main navigation gear often with their 7“ chart plotter at the helm mirrored to be remotely controlled with the 12.9“ screen and in parallel Navionics, time zero, ISailor and other navigational tools with the yacht devices NMea to wifi dongle to get all needed nmea data on the boats internal(!) WiFi
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lease, maintenance, men