Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2019, 12:04   #1

Boat: Mull 42-cold molded NZ 1970
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet
Firefly Batteries are now in stock!

Thanks to a big effort put in by the Firefly production team, we have now caught up with the long wait list and both the Group 31 and L15+ are in stock and ready to ship.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OceanPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 15:19   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Firefly Batteries are now in stock!

That rates a party, break out the champagne!

Will they soon start supplying other markets?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 15:23   #3

We're happy to supply any market you got! There are only two sizes (G31 and the "L15+" 4V) however those will cover just about any size system. The 4V have an even higher cycle life rating than the G31.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-10-2019, 15:28   #4

FWIW, I recently pulled a random Firefly G31 (rated 116Ah @ 20hr) from stock, did some cycles and got 117Ah @ 10hr. Then did the 30 cycle PSOC "MaineSail" testing protocol (discharge to 11.7V, with 1hr charge sessions @ .4C). After the 30 cycles, did a few full charge/discharge cycles...and it came up to 119.6Ah!! I don't know if that one was special, however just picked one at random. Almost 120Ah from a G31...:-)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-10-2019, 15:51   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanPlanet View Post
FWIW, I recently pulled a random Firefly G31 (rated 116Ah @ 20hr) from stock, did some cycles and got 117Ah @ 10hr. Then did the 30 cycle PSOC "MaineSail" testing protocol (discharge to 11.7V, with 1hr charge sessions @ .4C). After the 30 cycles, did a few full charge/discharge cycles...and it came up to 119.6Ah!! I don't know if that one was special, however just picked one at random. Almost 120Ah from a G31...:-)
That is almost exactly what we saw in the testing for Practical Sailor article. The FF gained a bit, after 30 deep PSOC cycles, while all the others permanently lost capacity.
Old 22-10-2019, 16:15   #6

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

I installed 4 G31s back in the spring and I am very happy with them so far. However, I have not put them to the ultimate test yet, Cruise to the Bahamas for a couple Months. But hope to do that soon!
I have a question on charge profile. I have a Pronautic 50 charger and I set the Chemistry to Carbon foam Battery. I expected to see a 14.2 ish charge voltage but I'm seeing only 13.8 ish volts. It will switch to "conditioning" after a long charge and then I see the 14.2 volts. Is this correct or should I put in a custom profile?

thanks
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5122.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	201963  
Old 22-10-2019, 16:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhulmer View Post
I installed 4 G31s back in the spring and I am very happy with them so far. However, I have not put them to the ultimate test yet, Cruise to the Bahamas for a couple Months. But hope to do that soon!
I have a question on charge profile. I have a Pronautic 50 charger and I set the Chemistry to Carbon foam Battery. I expected to see a 14.2 ish charge voltage but I'm seeing only 13.8 ish volts. It will switch to "conditioning" after a long charge and then I see the 14.2 volts. Is this correct or should I put in a custom profile?

thanks
Jim
Should go for the custom programming...whatever it takes to get to the desired 14.4V charging voltage. I don't know what the Pronautic "carbon foam" setting are, and they never asked us what to use, that I can recall.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-10-2019, 16:29   #8
cruiser

From my past notes:

Charge the FF to between 14.2V and 14.6V, 14.4V ideal, with temp compensation of course (CC/Bulk phase) and continue*charging*until the*charging*current*drops to 1.5A (CV/Absorb phase, time will vary).

The Oasis does not require a float charge when cycling, ideal is "just stop" as with LFP.

But, if you need to float: 13.2V is better for longevity than 13.4V, especially for charge sources that may be active for an extended period of time (solar, shore or even an*alternator*if motoring for a while). 13.4V for an alt on for shorter periods is NP.

Reset to bulk phase: for programmable charging sources, adjust the “reset to bulk phase” to occur if the*battery*voltage drops below 12.0V for >1 minute.

Corrections from Bruce or Rod most welcome.
Old 22-10-2019, 16:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
From my past notes:

Charge the FF to between 14.2V and 14.6V, 14.4V ideal, with temp compensation of course (CC/Bulk phase) and continue*charging*until the*charging*current*drops to 1.5A (CV/Absorb phase, time will vary).

The Oasis does not require a float charge when cycling, ideal is "just stop" as with LFP.

But, if you need to float: 13.2V is better for longevity than 13.4V, especially for charge sources that may be active for an extended period of time (solar, shore or even an*alternator*if motoring for a while). 13.4V for an alt on for shorter periods is NP.

Reset to bulk phase: for programmable charging sources, adjust the “reset to bulk phase” to occur if the*battery*voltage drops below 12.0V for >1 minute.

Corrections from Bruce or Rod most welcome.
Note that the desired Float voltage is no Float, however if there must be one then it's now 13.4-13.5 vs. the former 13.2. I forget why they raised it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-10-2019, 16:45   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanPlanet View Post
Note that the desired Float voltage is no Float
Yep, covered that above.

I'm sticking to 13.2V in uses cases where hard to "just stop".

I inferred it was later raised to be more in line with non-adjustable sources prospective buyers may already own, IOW by markketing rather than engineering.
Old 22-10-2019, 17:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yep, covered that above.

I'm sticking to 13.2V in uses cases where hard to "just stop".

I inferred it was later raised to be more in line with non-adjustable sources prospective buyers may already own, IOW by markketing rather than engineering.
IIRC, one of the Firefly engineers said something about 13.2 being too close to the fully charged resting voltage, and that for some reason that wasn't good. Couldn't get a detailed explanation, but 13.4-13.5 was what we were told so we're going with it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-10-2019, 17:27   #12

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Finishing my first season with 3x L15+. So far so good. I’ve been running between 50 and 80% just cause that’s been what it is.
More capacity than the old bank for sure.
Those L15+ have enough oomph I upgraded my battery fuses to class T to maintain the appropriate interrupting capacity.
And OP was easy to work with and helpful as well. I was fortunate to be able to drive there on my way to my dad’s place.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 17:30   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Installed these Six x 4 volt batteries = 24 volts last November 2018. We sailed seven months and hauled in June. They were great. One thing. They suck up available power like a short circuit. We smoked a 1.5 kw alternator. If your alternator is not rated for continuous full load then you must set your external alternator charge controller to regulate lower. We run 80%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EE935328-6708-436A-BC42-D67689EDA05F.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	201964   Click image for larger version

Name:	4DA6F1C6-16F5-4DEB-8449-B500AA243C18.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	201965  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 17:32   #14

Mine are set to float at 13.3, think I’ll stay with that!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 17:54   #15

Boat: Nordhavn 47

So when you say no float, does setting the float to something like 12.8 do that? What do you actually mean by “no float”. When we are plugged in to shore power any power you use is basically “pass through” at whatever the float voltage is I guess. Is the battery doing anything at a lower voltage like this?
When I first bought mine I was told 12.8 then “no float” then 13.2 now 13.4. I have decided since you can’t decide I won’t either and just randomly pick one whenever I happen to be in a marina. [emoji3]
Seems as scientific as anything I have heard but I am open if there is actually new data. [emoji3]
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries