Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2012, 15:40   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah
Ebooks or Paperbacks on Board and Why?

Wondering how popular eBooks are on board ? Or are you a traditionalist ? Why ?

On Banyandah we have both. Love the feel of a traditional book, and like the ease of storage of Ebooks. How about you?
__________________________________________________ _______

For those that use eBooks, we have a special offer for you.

Ebooks ~ 2 for 1 Sale to CF Members

Buy Jude's Practical Boat Bits and Tips for $5
And receive a free copy of Two's a Crew

Both in PDF format

------ More Details ------- ------ More Details -------

Immediately after purchase, download links will be sent
for Jude's Practical eBook and Two's a Crew.
Offer expires 30 January 2013
Old 18-12-2012, 23:15   #2

Re: Ebooks or Paperbacks on board and why ?

Ebooks for most everything except for our "ship's library" of stuff like Bowditch and Chapman's.

And since I'm in a country notorious for not giving a rat's ass about copyright laws, I should add that I have 8gb of Kindle books that I try to give people as much as I can. And as an author, I would LOVE to be famous enough one day that people care enough to rip off my work.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 07:03   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Ebooks or Paperbacks on board and why ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Ebooks for most everything except for our "ship's library" of stuff like Bowditch and Chapman's.

And since I'm in a country notorious for not giving a rat's ass about copyright laws, I should add that I have 8gb of Kindle books that I try to give people as much as I can. And as an author, I would LOVE to be famous enough one day that people care enough to rip off my work.
Given what they're like in America I wouldn't have chosen to publicise that on a forum. Oh, but hang on, you're in MEXICO!!! Woohoo!!!

Before my mother stole my iPad, I was really getting into the ebooks, and in particular catching up on the old classics that are free to download. But since I am back to the laptop, I've started sticking a novel in my bag again to take on the dive boat for those long, boring journeys. And I don't worry about them getting splashed, cos they're mostly book swaps anyway. And the titles are much newer.

Rebelheart, how can I go about getting that 8gb off you And have you published anything (other than your awesome blog)? I might browse the net, see if I can't find a free copy knocking around...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 08:02   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Ebooks or Paperbacks on Board and Why?

I sure like new technology, but I usually come to it when it's older and less expensive. Another factor here is that, being born in the forties, I'm entrenched in "low tech". I picked up some younger cruising friends from the airport yesterday and called them earlier to check on their flight arrival. They wondered why I hadn't received their text message! I've never seen any text message anytime, 'never sent one, 'don't think my phone has the capability. We are also very "cheap" cruisers. We cruise at or near that $500-$700/month cost that is highlighted on other threads. We spend way more on other discretionary things like family, travel and entertainment, but, when we are underway and doing most of our reading, we live "cheap". So, Nancie and I each keep about a dozen paperbacks that we turn over in free trade mostly at coin laundries and marinas. Even when we are not marina customers the management favors the turnover in books. ebooks may eventually cause the demise of this huge and common free trade of books, but it still thrives for now. Paperback books, .....free.....no theft risk ......no risk if lost or left on the city bus .......no damage if you sit on it or leave it in the dinghy overnight! I will add the confession that we sometimes buy at a used book store or thrift market for around fifty cents a copy.
Old 19-12-2012, 09:56   #5

If it doesn't fit on my iPad, it doesn't go onboard. I prefer the quality of iBooks, but Kindle books tend to be cheaper and more Kindle books are available (though the latter seems to be changing).
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 10:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Hmm...... after doing some wandering through the books available with Kindle and noting the cost, I can see how I might easily shift to this method of reading when the time comes that I run out of the flood of free paperbacks.
Old 19-12-2012, 10:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Hmm...... after doing some wandering through the books available with Kindle and noting the cost, I can see how I might easily shift to this method of reading when the time comes that I run out of the flood of free paperbacks.
Imagine when a give you a thumb drive of 20k books. If it's against your principles you can always say no

And to be honest, I'm still spending $40 a month on books anyway. I especially love new authors with low priced stuff. Self publishing and ebooks have really opened the door for authors that otherwise would never be heard of.
Old 19-12-2012, 10:58   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Imagine when a give you a thumb drive.............. I'm still spending $40 a month on books..............
"giving a thumb drive" and $40/month on books are beyond my imagination! The latter sounds excessive and the former sounds obscene!
Old 19-12-2012, 13:26   #9
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
"giving a thumb drive" and $40/month on books are beyond my imagination! The latter sounds excessive and the former sounds obscene!
LOL!! It's not as rude as it sounds!!! He means a dongle! Although the first time I heard that word it was from my mother telling me to stick a dongle in my slot. I was a little shocked for a short while until she explained.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 18:28   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

As much as I like my ipad, books make appreciate the fact that they do not have batteries are rugged, cheap and can be read in sunlight.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 19:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
As much as I like my ipad, books make appreciate the fact that they do not have batteries are rugged, cheap and can be read in sunlight.
The most "trouble" I've ever had reading an ebook on my iPad in bright sunlight is a need to adjust the screen brightness. Your windage may vary.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 01:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Minus a cockpit full of spray my kindle holds up great. Sometimes I'll put it on a gallon zip lock bag or they sell "real " waterproof cases.

A kindle battery lasts, literally, maybe 100-200 hours of reading or a couple weeks, whichever comes first.

Zero problems in full sunlight. Seriously man, no kindle owner regrets their purchase.
Old 20-12-2012, 04:33   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
....................A kindle battery lasts, literally, maybe 100-200 hours of reading or a couple weeks, whichever comes first ....................
I notice that Amazon lists the Kindle battery at ca $10 and other sources at $20. Is this another $20 - $40/ month or do you have the capability of powering theses devices with an adapter to your 12V "house" system? We do most of our reading in the dark. Is the Kindle battery use the same in dark or light? Since paperback booKs are durable, user friendly and free I doubt that I'll be able to give them up. I understand the advantage in saving a little space and keeping such a big library available; however, I'm only reading one book at a time, I don't run out of material and my books on hand are not a space burden.
Old 20-12-2012, 05:53   #14

Quote:
I notice that Amazon lists the Kindle battery at ca $10 and other sources at $20. Is this another $20 - $40/ month or do you have the capability of powering theses devices with an adapter to your 12V "house" system? We do most of our reading in the dark. Is the Kindle battery use the same in dark or light? Since paperback booKs are durable, user friendly and free I doubt that I'll be able to give them up. I understand the advantage in saving a little space and keeping such a big library available; however, I'm only reading one book at a time, I don't run out of material and my books on hand are not a space burden.
The battery is integrated; you wouldn't ever really need another one. It charges with a USB cable in a couple of hours, on par with a cell phone. Kindles aren't backlit. It might sound weird, but it's a reason they work so well in bright sunlight. The screen is really nice on the eyes; nothing like the pain of laptop/tablet screens.

I wouldn't look at giving up paper either and for a lot of stuff I think they rock. Engine manuals in particular, where you know your hands will be slimed and you want to look at diagrams and quickly spin through pages. Same for stuff like Chapman's, Bowditch, etc.

It's a pretty tiny investment and you get a lot out of it. Maybe look at it that way instead of it being a replacement. Hell, I'm sure you have a single book that is just as expensive as a kindle.
Old 20-12-2012, 06:34   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
............ Kindles aren't backlit. .
So, the Kindle would be read at night with the same form of reading light that I would use for a paper book? Thanks for your information. There's still some shopping days before Christmas.