Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 13:12   #31

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Caribbean Wide Affordable Internet Service

There is also a type of cruiser that fits in between your categories. Those of us living aboard and cruising full time who do not work from our boats. We also like internet connections, but have a budget. I think this category is the most common one out here.

I came onto this thread because of the thread heading, which was somewhat misleading. I then checked out the prices and noted that they were very much higher than simply using the common SIM cards and data plans for each country.

I didn't try to talk anyone out of it anymore than they tried to talk me into it. The fact remains - if you value not having multiple SIM cards over paying a large amount of money, then this is the plan for you. If having 2-3 SIM cards and exchanging them as needed is not too onerous for you, then you can save a lot of money with local plans.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 15:51   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to Axxess Direct

I like the fact that there are people on the forum that can see the value of the service that we offer. I appreciate the approach by our mediator trying to get a more fitting deal for the budget cruisers, I can tell you we are working on this. A special Budget package for CF members.

We are well aware of the prices for data in the Caribbean and prices vary allot.
We cant compete or be cheaper than all the Service providers out there. We can offer a better service and in general have a competitive price package based on price of data $ for GB.

As soon as we have this ready i will inform on this forum.

thank you for your input.

Den
Old 18-11-2013, 16:19   #33
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Budget Cruisers Internet Service.

For us as a company setting up a additional data packet cost money. So i would like to know how many people would sign up for a plan.

The plan could be something like this.

1. 20GB
2. $100
3. 6 month contract
4. Can be split - example: active DEC - JAN - FEB - Inactive MAR APRIL - Active MAY - JUN - JUL
5. No rollover
6. Free Sim Card
7. Free Sierra hotspot Modem for CF members.

If there is plenty of interest i will work very hard to get this package activated. But its all about numbers so let me know.

regards

Den
Old 19-11-2013, 06:40   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Sadly the typical cruiser has changed. On this go around cruising for me has seen me sharing anchorages with the "FUBAR" rally folks(power vessels). Clearly the millionaire crowd. Most with boats over 50 ft. Nordhaven and the lot.
I've been limping along semi-well with the Island time WiFi booster on the back of the boat.
t.
Why is it sad that people who put in the time working and were financially smart are going cruising?

I agree that this plan seems pricey but I don't begrudge those who have put in the time and effort from enjoying the benefits of that work.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 09:14   #35
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxess Direct View Post
Budget Cruisers Internet Service.

For us as a company setting up a additional data packet cost money. So i would like to know how many people would sign up for a plan.

The plan could be something like this.

1. 20GB
2. $100
3. 6 month contract
4. Can be split - example: active DEC - JAN - FEB - Inactive MAR APRIL - Active MAY - JUN - JUL
5. No rollover
6. Free Sim Card
7. Free Sierra hotspot Modem for CF members.

If there is plenty of interest i will work very hard to get this package activated. But its all about numbers so let me know.

regards

Den
Count me in when we get to the Carib. Might be a while, though - what with having to beat around the wrong way thanks to our Somali friends!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 09:58   #36

Considering that's the price I pay for Internet here on St Thomas alone, we would be highly interested as well
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 02:41   #37

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

At the discounted price I would buy that service, if it works as advertised it would be quite useful down island.
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 05:28   #38

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxess Direct View Post
Dear Mr W

Please see the links for confirmation of the statement that our prices are cheaper then in the US and Canada.

Based on local cellular service as the prices form all the above are for service in the SP network.
Bell Canada . Turbo Stick and Turbo Hub Flex plan from Bell Mobility
Verizon.Prepaid Phones & Prepaid Plans: Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless
T mobile:Mobile Broadband Unlimited Data Plans w/ No Annual Contract | T-Mobile
At&T:AT&T Data Plan - 4G LTE Data Plans with Wi-Fi & Tethering from AT&T
Rogers: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/mo...=plans-pricing
Telus:Mobile Internet Fixed Plans*|* Plans*|* TELUS Mobility

Satellite service was mentioned as well and compared to our service. clearly you can´t compare a global service of KVH or even VSAT to Cellular service. But if you have to compare
1. hardware cost of Satellite service... wow
2. Hardware cost of Cellular service...200-700 depending on system.

Prices per MB or GB
Satellite service KVH- $1.00 per Mb - 1GB is $1024
Cellar service - $0.006 per Mb - 1GB is $6.60

A few points that i would like to point out.
1. All the price from the US and Canada do not have international roaming. Our prices do we cover 28 different islands.
2. Most plans above require 2 year contracts - we don´t have long term contracts only when your onboard you pay for service and data.
3. Our plans are bigger then most providers - with no overage so no surprises
4. No need to get sim cards in every location you arrive.
5. Prices vary in the Caribbean from island to Island, the FWI are more expensive then some of the other Islands like Trinidad & Tobago.
We can´t compete with all the prices in all the island but for most of our clients the service and convenience well out ways the price difference.

Our service is not for everybody, some people are happy to source the SIMS on every island, and some just use Hotspots. This is just another service and it took allot of time, effort and money to set up a network this size with the best data service available on these islands.

Regards

Axxess
WOW!!!! Hey AxxessDirect! Do you not know that T-Mobile has a plan for $70/mo for unlimited internet access worldwide?? I am on it. It's not really fair to pick one of T-mobiles crummy plans and use IT as an example as it is a deceptive advertising comparison. What gives?
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 07:21   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
WOW!!!! Hey AxxessDirect! Do you not know that T-Mobile has a plan for $70/mo for unlimited internet access worldwide?? I am on it. It's not really fair to pick one of T-mobiles crummy plans and use IT as an example as it is a deceptive advertising comparison. What gives?

Please DO NOT call what i write deceptive. if you read the fine print on the T mobile site you can read that if your roaming on the NEW t mobile plan be aware of the fine print. Only 50MB is included when roaming. Also sharing the Internet access with your PC and/or Ipad etc is only possible up to 2.5 GB after this your service drops to 2G..and this is only on the T mobile network.

Also we were comparing data plans not mobile phone plans with limited services as clearly stated below in the T-mobile information. this information is from the bottom of their web page.

Please retract your statement.

Of the T mobile site:
Full speeds available up to monthly allotment; then slowed to up to 2G speeds for rest of billing cycle. Roaming and on-network data allotments differ; 500 MB full-speed plan includes 10 MB roaming; 2.5 GB and Unlimited 4G full-speed plans include 50 MB roaming
T-Mobile may change countries at its discretion. Discounted rates to additional countries subject to change. Smartphone Mobile Hotspot (Tethering/Wi-Fi Sharing): Qualifying service required. Plan data allotment applies; Unlimited 4G data includes 2.5 GB of tethering. Roaming and on-network data allotments differ: 500 MB full-speed plan includes 10 MB roaming; 2.5 GB and Unlimited 4G full-speed plans include 50 MB roaming. Use of connected devices subject to T-Mobile Terms and Conditions.

128 Kbps. No tethering. Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming or misuse.
Old 20-11-2013, 10:20   #40

I for one think that these plans are not unreasonable at all.

Are the advertised data caps at peak speed? If so I do not know of any provider in North America, Europe or Asia that offers a plan that comes even close, let alone a prepaid one.
Old 20-11-2013, 10:31   #41
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Hi, no the speeds are not caped..

thanks Den
Old 21-11-2013, 03:53   #42

Boat: Blue Buoy Del Rey 50

I cant seem to find the speed your offering but if you can tell me that would be great.

I cant say I would switch to your service just yet because right now my cost for unlimited data sim is only around $50ec per month. But in most places that is only 2g/edge. As the islands I sail none of them have 3g or 4g implemented yet by a local provider (lime,digicel).

Thanks.
deepthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 14:11   #43

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

I would get the 20gb plan as well. although Is there six months in the caribbean where there isn't hurricanes? lol
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 15:21   #44

Boat: Catalac 12M

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Why is it sad that people who put in the time working and were financially smart are going cruising?

I agree that this plan seems pricey but I don't begrudge those who have put in the time and effort from enjoying the benefits of that work.
Me either and thank you!
La Gringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 05:53   #45

Boat: Catalac 12M

I would be interested in feedback from anyone that tries this plan. We are not cruising at the moment and I have my needs covered here so don't need to make a change just yet.

Thank you in advance!
La Gringa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, internet, rib, service