Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Antares Yachts
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 14:07   #1

Boat: Antares 44i
Uneven Finish on Antares Wood - Is there a Fix?

This photo is of the cabinet under the chart shelf & TV area on an Antares 44i. As you can see, the finish is irregular - some dull, some satin or shiny. We're not sure how that happened, but we'd love to hear from other Antares owners if they experienced this, and how they fixed it.

We've been told by one very qualified woodworker who has worked on Antares, that the factory finish on this boat (a 2010 hull/2011 splash date) was probably polyester, applied with many coats, one on top of the next without sanding, then the final finish was achieved with motor oil and bronze or steel wool.

Has anyone seen a similar unevenness of the finish, and do they know how to solve the problem?

Thanks for your ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04330_1024.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	82811  
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 14:30   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: uneven finish on Antares wood - is there a fix?

Are you sure about the polyester and motor oil bits? Polyurethane and Tung oil sound more likely (and more common).

If the latter, you can strip and refinish.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 14:51   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: uneven finish on Antares wood - is there a fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
This photo is of the cabinet under the chart shelf & TV area on an Antares 44i. As you can see, the finish is irregular - some dull, some satin or shiny. We're not sure how that happened, but we'd love to hear from other Antares owners if they experienced this, and how they fixed it.

We've been told by one very qualified woodworker who has worked on Antares, that the factory finish on this boat (a 2010 hull/2011 splash date) was probably polyester, applied with many coats, one on top of the next without sanding, then the final finish was achieved with motor oil and bronze or steel wool.

Has anyone seen a similar unevenness of the finish, and do they know how to solve the problem?

Thanks for your ideas!
I have seen the wood finish in several Argentine Antares boats as they leave Buenos Aires and later on. Owners are very demanding and the factory takes pride in the woodwork and its finish. It is good to start and holds up pretty well.

I wonder what happened there but given that it does not seem to be a water stain I suspect this can be fixed easily by the right person.

Regarding the product used, I suspect it is 2-part polyurethane without any oil.

If you bought this boat through the usual Antares broker I am sure she can arrange for a bit of that same product to be sent to you to refinish that panel, or get the spec of the product that was used. Alternatively send me a PM and I may be able to suggest alternatives.

C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antares, antares