Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2020, 17:04   #1

Boat: Antares, 44GS, 44ft
Should we consider a 44GS

Hi. My wife and I have started the process of searching for a catamaran with the goal of circumnavigation. As near as we can tell the 44GS is very well made, comes standard with many items some other builders do not provide, has a very good pedigree, and a reasonable list of options. All good things. However, relative to all of the other makes we are considering the interior layout is unique and the cockpit is different. I'd really be interested in hearing from current owners. In particular those that were hesitant about the salon but found it to be just fine or others that thought it was just fine but over time found it less appealing. Anyway, there is no doubt about the Antares build quality and seaworthiness but I am struggling with the interior layout. Thank you in advance for your thoughts. Eric.
erbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 17:50   #2

Re: Should we consider a 44GS

Yikes. Saloon - not salon.
Old 05-09-2020, 13:42   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Hello Erbrock

Sorry for the lack of responses - I just saw this post now. The Antares has a very active and knowledgable owners group, though small due to the small number of Antares out there. While there are a small number of 44GS you are probably aware that the previous model (44i) is nearly identical except for the length of the hardtop and having a foldable versus molded bowsprit.

My wife and I have owned our 44i for about a year and have spent about 6 months aboard cruising the US east coast and Bahamas.

We absolutely love the layout of the boat. The galley down arrangement works well. It is easy for a person in the galley to carry on a conversation with a person in the salon due to the open area above/behind the salon settee. Also, the low, centered position of the galley makes for the least motion in a seaway. There are two salon layouts differing in what is in the aft starboard portion of the salon - one has a forward facing settee and one has an L-shaped counter/wet bar. We have the latter and have friends with the former. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. In either case, other than I know some people object to the galley being down, I don't know what the objection to the salon layout would be. It is comfortable, provides good outside visibility, is relatively open and provides good communications with the space in the two hulls. We love it.

The cockpit arrangement was a huge selling point for us. The first time you are at sea in gale force winds and you notice how comfortable you are at the helm you will be sold! With just the first section of the strataglass enclosure in place on the sides all wind, rain and spray is completely blocked from the helm. I wouldn't dream of trading our cockpit/helm layout for what I see on other cats.

I'm off the boat for a few weeks so paying more attention to CF than usual. I'd be happy to PM if you have additional questions.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 21:23   #4

Thank you very much for the reply. I really appreciate your perspective. And thank you for the offer to answer additional questions. Good chance I'll take you up on it. I wish you safe travels.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:40   #5

Hi ebrock, We live on an Antares44i and love it. The apartment-like galley down and therefore large saloon is a huge plus. Galley down was one of our criteria and it in no way isolates the person cooking from talking to those in the saloon. We have a PDQ model with the smaller engines which make motoring unhappily slow, but a newer one with the larger engines wouldn't have that problem. We're happy with sailing performance, despite sacrificing some mainsail performance with a furling main. Don't know if a low enough mast height for the ICW is important to you, but it sure is to us and the Antares with it's 61 and change height gives a good margin of comfort. Yes there's a lot of hull windage, but it's worth it for the unbelievable comfort. Love having two standard queen sized beds so no custom sheets. Large closets, large storage, large shower. Don't know how the others you are looking at compare, but the helm seat NOT being up in the stratosphere like on many models is also a big plus. Hope you find a boat you love!
vivacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:34   #6

Hello Erbrock, We have spent 5 years on an Antares 44i, mostly full time on many waters of the world and can say we would choose the same boat today if we were to do it all over again. I would love to hear more specifics of your hesitation and the number of people you anticipate on board by percentage of time. We found it excellent for the 2-4 we had on the boat most of the time and entertained over 30 people on the boat at times. I am happy to chat in depth if you like, you can PM me.
Old 09-10-2020, 14:12   #7

Gosh, with all the accolades from current owners I’m practically sold!!!
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 18:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Selawry View Post
Gosh, with all the accolades from current owners I’m practically sold!!!
Mark, You are on a great path to discovery!! The most important step, is getting off the dock. Rand
Old 09-10-2020, 22:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Ride View Post
Mark, You are on a great path to discovery!! The most important step, is getting off the dock. Rand
Good thing we've got you to help us do just that! ��
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 08:51   #10

Can they be used for open-ocean sailing?
hkapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 08:58   #11

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkapoor View Post
Can they be used for open-ocean sailing?
Certainly. Many Antares 44 are circumnavigating.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 09:53   #12

Boat: Antares GT 44

The Antares 44 Hybrid/GT is out and the first one should be splashing in the water soon I hope.
My Question is that how many used 44GS and 44GT will be on the used market in a couple of years from now. I hope that everybody will be trading the old 44GS Catamaran in for a new 44GT/Hybrid?
My retirement date is the summer of 2025 I will be looking for a used 2-5 year old 44GS or 44GT. And new one is a little to high on the price for me and a new Hybrid 1.35M for a new one I am trying to keep from being boat poor and I can spend $700K to $900k on a use Antares 44GS/GT the is in my budget for now.
We will be looking for 44GS/GT year 2019,20,21,22 in a couple of years if you have one and you willing to sale it in a couple of year from now please write me I would love to chat with you. Thanks Sailingwithgil
Sailingwithgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 17:09   #13

Sailingwithgil,

I sent you a private message.