Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2020, 19:03   #1

Changes in the 44GS

Hi all!

I've following the Antares 44 for years. Pre-Covid I had been planning a trip to a boatshow to see one in person, but for now I can still only admire from afar. I have a couple questions about the current GS model:

(1) Do current owners of the GS miss the raised seats at the stern that had been a part of the 44i and 44e? Would current owners of the 44i/44e miss those seats if they were gone? It seems to me those seats at the stern would be a great place to sit (and would extend the capacity of the cockpit). Those seats are iconic and unique.

(2) Without the arch at the stern it seems that the GS has less flexibility to add on and remove toys (e.g. satellite dome, additional solar panels), correct? The only way to add things on would be by attaching to the hardtop, which seems a chore and somewhat permanent. Eventually Starlink will become available for the leisure marine market and where will it go? Less easy to attach a liferaft at the stern as well.

(3) It seems as though the GS model is now being made with two posts at the very back of the hardtop which connect to the the top of the stairs (as shown in the photos of "Halo" on the Antares Instagram page). Earlier GS models though, such as Laila Pad on the website, don't show these posts. What necessitated the installation of these posts (I assume the large hardtop was a little too flexible without them), and could they simply be replaced with the arch and raised seats at the stern?

Thanks!
Sqwerties
sqwerties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 16:41   #2

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip
Re: Changes in the 44GS

Sqwerties, I'll give you my comments as an owner of an Antares for nine years.

1. We like our raised seats in the back. The seating capacity has not changed, since there are cushions and backrest for people sitting below. The primary difference is raised seating, vs. 'same level' seating as the rest of cockpit.

Here is photo of our cockpit with 13 adults. Notice that everyone is seated at same level...and not using the aft benches. We find guest rarely sit up 'high'...maybe because they are not wanting to look down on their friends.

What we don't like with our current configuration is solar capacity.

The full bimini adds more capacity and is a cleaner look than our setup. I also prefer the unobstructed view from the cockpit aft, sans the stainless steel arch. There are pros and cons to either approach. Overall I personally like the more open feel of the cockpit aft.

With the full hardtop, the boom has been extended 3ft, 1m aft, increasing sail area for the in-mast furling system. This increases the sail area.

2. We have two satellite domes on our arch. We rarely use one (KVH), and now, with Iridium GO (which we have), we really don't need either dome. I wish our domes were gone, as we don't need them. The satellite antenna for the Iridium go is mounted on our first spreader. This is a better and easier location for the antenna.

3. I"m not sure about replacing the aft support with Arch. I've sent your questions to Memo, the owner of the yard, and will post a reply shortly.

The bottom line, there are always tradeoffs. As an owner, I love our boat, but I also like the newer changes in the GS. For me, solar is key, and that is why I like the larger top for cleaner installs of solar, and better water collection for watertanks.

https://svfieldtrip.blogspot.com
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 22:34   #3

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip
Re: Changes in the 44GS

I just received a response from Antares about your questions:

"1) The use of those seats was replaced by the lower seats and the result was a seat which is more involved with the cockpit and seating area. The padding on those seats and the winch pedestal provides a great lounge seat which was not available before plus an amazing view of the horizon astern. Either way, there is a high seat designed already for those that would like the elevated seats as on the 44i and 44e.

2) The hardtop has a lid to access all of the Comms devices from the bottom and tubes to run cables. We have made it update proof.

3) The hardtop had two posts on the back because the owner specifically asked us to do it that way
."

https://svfieldtrip.blogspot.com
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote