Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 18:57   #1

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip
Antares 44i Yard - Argentina Update

I know that a number of you have asked me to provide an update from our visit to Argentina last week. I will provide a brief summary, and them be posting video and pictures at a later date.

My wife and I spent 4 days in Buenos Aires. We went to BA with 3 other couples that have either purchased a 44i or are seriously considering a purchase.

Here are some of the key observations:

* There were three hulls at various stages of build. We were able to view the details from layup of glass to interior finish.

* The quality of the work was superb. The yard is using state of the art computer cutting equipment for all wood, corecell, etc. Impressive how precise the machines were (we received a demonstration).

* There is very little turnover of workers as the plant. In fact, it is our understanding there has been no effective turnover. So the skills are maintained after each hull. A key fact IMO...given churn of this labor at other yards can be high and affect quality.

* The owner of the Yard is a lifelong sailor and VERY passionate about the boats. He told us (on camera as well) that he builds each boat as though it were his own - and takes a lot of personal pride in ensuring everything is done 'precisely' right.

* Having Todd (legacy PDQ) living in Argentina and working every day with the cats is key, and provides continuity from the old PDQ to B.A. A key point, in talking to Todd, he feels like overall the build quality is in fact better than PDQ given the labor skill, low turnover, and significant improvements/tweaks to the boat build.

* We joked that the Argentine boats would be not only built better but have better resale value compared to the PDQ one the public begins to know about the incremental quality of the builds in BA.

* Bob Crandall - who owned a PDQ 44i, and now bought a new one that is being build in Argentina - was there as well....and felt 'very' good about the quality of workmanship on his new boat. It will be better he is sure than his old PDQ 44i.

Bottom line, any concerns I had about Argentina were erased and everyone down there (one couple had been there twice) felt very good about the facility, people and quality of the new boats. So good in fact I felt compelled to write this update to the group.

Stay tuned for pics and videos of the yard and people of Antares B.A.....
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 20:44   #2

Thanks for the update. I am looking forward to the pics and video!
peter.bomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 05:26   #3

Awesome News!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post! I will await with breathless anticipation for the pics and videos! LOL

David
KairosKona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 09:22   #4

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Antares 44

I absolutely love the Antares and its inherent quality.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 16:48   #5

Boat: Antares 44i
Send a message via Skype™ to pauldaniell
Thanks for your report. We were sorry to miss out on that visit as our hull is scheduled for building soon. As our time approaches and we get further into planning details, it seems that we have a million questions, so we greatly appreciate your input. Have you purchased a 44?
pauldaniell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 10:25   #6

what price point are the boats being sold for?
diesels12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 11:13   #7

Boat: Antares 44i
Send a message via Skype™ to pauldaniell
Antares pricing

there are two base price points to consider - see the website at

Antares Catamarans luxury sailing catamarans for liveaboard comfort extended cruising

and look under "Pricing" for details.
pauldaniell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 11:18   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Great information. Thanks
Old 23-08-2009, 11:29   #9

whats the difference between the 44 and the 44i besides the price? more options?
diesels12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 11:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesels12 View Post
whats the difference between the 44 and the 44i besides the price? more options?

Yep. The 44i is "Cruise Ready". The 44 is Live Aboard ready. They've had an impressive attention to detail. Well thought out cat...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 03:07   #11

Boat: Antares 44
Good info. Look forward to the pics and video. We have a sea trial scheduled on the 44i at Annapolis in Oct.
CPIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 13:48   #12

Boat: 1985 CC
Good to hear that you were impressed with the build quality at the Antares factory. About a year ago I visited the FP factory and had the opposite impression. Looking forward to seeing your video.
S.R.Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 21:05   #13

Boat: St Francis 50
Antares 4420 is for sale

Not listed on Yachtworld but the 2007 Antares 44i "Beat Army " is for sale at $698k through Antares.
Looks like a nicely equipped boat.
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:46   #14

Boat: Leopard 40
[QUOTE=mdsilvers;316674]I know that a number of you have asked me to provide an update from our visit to Argentina last week. I will provide a brief summary, and them be posting video and pictures at a later date.

My wife and I spent 4 days in Buenos Aires. We went to BA with 3 other couples that have either purchased a 44i or are seriously considering a purchase. QUOTE]

What made you decide on an Antares over, say, a Leopard? Did you and your wife have any discussions over the down galley?

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:23   #15

Boat: St Francis 50
Maje:
We chartered a Leopard 43 in the BVI last Thanksgiving and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. The galley up was fine but did take up usable space (we have three boys).
That said we did not like the finish quality of the Leopard (granted it was in charter format) - I also visited the Cape Town factory and watched the build process and saw the Voyage and Dean 440. I am also a fan of the St. Francis 50 but it is too big for our needs.
The Antares 44i felt like a bigger boat due to the layout but the tipping points for us were :
1. Build Quality
2. Shaft drive engines
3. Excellent accesibility of systems
4. Ted Clements (Antares designer) willingness to answer my arcane questions
Paul
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antares, Argentina